IBM and Java/COBOL ILC (Inter-Language Communication)
Author Message
 IBM and Java/COBOL ILC (Inter-Language Communication)

From Search390 "developer's forum"

Question:
 "Does IBM have any plans to create an interface to allow Cobol programs to
call Java programs and pass parameter information?"

Answer from Tom Ross,

 "Yes. Any other questions? Actually, we are working toward this goal, but
Java has some unique challenges in this area, like not having structures,
records or CALL statements. We are making great progress, and will have some
announcements in this area soon, but it will be a first step.

Just out of curiosity, what platforms/subsystems are you interested in
running Java from COBOL programs in? Batch, CICS, Unix Systems Services,
IMS, or ?"

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:53:22 GMT
 IBM and Java/COBOL ILC (Inter-Language Communication)

Quote:
> From Search390 "developer's forum"

> Question:
>  "Does IBM have any plans to create an interface to allow Cobol programs
> call Java programs and pass parameter information?"

> Answer from Tom Ross,

>  "Yes. Any other questions? Actually, we are working toward this goal, but
> Java has some unique challenges in this area, like not having structures,
> records or CALL statements. We are making great progress, and will have
> some
> announcements in this area soon, but it will be a first step.

> Just out of curiosity, what platforms/subsystems are you interested in
> running Java from COBOL programs in? Batch, CICS, Unix Systems Services,
> IMS, or ?"

I'm curious too - but it seems to me that on all platforms, Cobol will need
to work with Java beans and Java.  There are certain things that each
language is much better in than the other.  Use the other language's
strengths!

A good integrated testing and development platform would be wonderful!

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:00:11 GMT
 IBM and Java/COBOL ILC (Inter-Language Communication)
If Java could be just another language accessed in just another ILC
methodology....

I would love to call user and "base" (similar to
java.lang.Integer.parseInt()) Java methods from multi-tasked assembler
environments (with or without POSIX(ON)) .

Quote:

> <snip>> Just out of curiosity, what platforms/subsystems are you interested in
> running Java from COBOL programs in? Batch, CICS, Unix Systems Services,
> IMS, or ?"

<snip>

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:49:28 GMT

1. VB 5.0 and Inter-language Data Type Conversions (COBOL) and Parameter Passing

2. VSE 3.11 and Inter-process communication

3. Smalltalk-to-Smalltalk inter-process communication

4. Inter-window communication

5. Inter-thread/object communication

6. Inter-Process Communication

7. Shared memory for inter-application communications?

8. Inter-thread communication (in VXREXX)

9. Inter Thread/Process communication

10. Inter-process communication

11. Inter process communication using Tk/send hangs on suspended processes

12. Inter-process communication options