compiles done in wrong order
Author Message
 compiles done in wrong order

On an MVS platform are there any tools to audit your load libraries to
check if compiles were done in the wrong order? This would detect a
problem with static calls. Are there any configuration management tools
that can prevent this?  Have y2k project managers paid any attention to
this? It would be easy to do a mass compile in alphabetical order and
include the wrong version of a subprogram.

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 compiles done in wrong order

Quote:

> On an MVS platform are there any tools to audit your load libraries to
> check if compiles were done in the wrong order? This would detect a
> problem with static calls. Are there any configuration management tools
> that can prevent this?  Have y2k project managers paid any attention to
> this? It would be easy to do a mass compile in alphabetical order and
> include the wrong version of a subprogram.

If all of the programs are frozen, wouldn't recompiling everything - in
any order - solve this problem?  I haven't had experience with more than
2 layers (and don't do static calls anyway).

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 compiles done in wrong order
Tim,

Quote:
> On an MVS platform are there any tools to audit your load libraries to
> check if compiles were done in the wrong order? This would detect a
> problem with static calls.

We don't allow static calls on application level only for Standard-SW
(CICS,DB2,MQ and so on)

Quote:
> Are there any configuration management tools that can prevent this?

SCLM can do this, but u have to add your application-structure via
ARCHDEF-Members
Note that big application (e.g. > 2000 programs) can take a long
BUILD/PROMOTE

Roland

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 compiles done in wrong order
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:59:37 -0700, Howard Brazee

Quote:

>> On an MVS platform are there any tools to audit your load libraries to
>> check if compiles were done in the wrong order? This would detect a
>> problem with static calls. Are there any configuration management tools
>> that can prevent this?  Have y2k project managers paid any attention to
>> this? It would be easy to do a mass compile in alphabetical order and
>> include the wrong version of a subprogram.

>If all of the programs are frozen, wouldn't recompiling everything - in
>any order - solve this problem?  I haven't had experience with more than
>2 layers (and don't do static calls anyway).

The only thing I know of is a source librarian product called
Endeavor.  There are features in it that would allow the user to
dictate what is compiled and in which order.

HTH

Regards,

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

Middle age is when you choose your cereal for the
fiber, not the toy.

 Steve

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 compiles done in wrong order

Quote:

> SCLM can do this, but u have to add your application-structure via
> ARCHDEF-Members
> Note that big application (e.g. > 2000 programs) can take a long
> BUILD/PROMOTE

There is a utility that can draw out the archdef's out from existing
load modules so building the basic ARCHDEF is OK but the set up is a
pain.  I am using Endevour and I really cannot see the justification for
the cost (yet). It does not seem to work as well as SCLM which is free
with MVS.

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 compiles done in wrong order
Ken,

Quote:
> There is a utility that can draw out the archdef's out from existing
> load modules so building the basic ARCHDEF is OK but the set up is a
> pain.

Never heard of it before, would u pls so kind and send me more info.
I worked with VMLIB, LIBR., SCLM and Endevor. SCLM is my favourit
Endevour is very expensive and now owned by CA.

Roland

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. What am I doing wrong!

2. What am I doing wrong?

3. Stupid newb question: What am I doing wrong?

4. What am I doing Wrong

5. what am i doing wrong

6. Help - What am I doing wrong

7. Saving a Variable to a field in a record- what am i doing wrong

8. What am I doing wrong?

9. What am I doing wrong?

10. #CONTROL What am I doing wrong

11. What am i doing wrong.