Need some info on COBOL ISAM files conversion
Author Message
 Need some info on COBOL ISAM files conversion

I need some information on how to convert COBOL ISAM files that are on a
Alpha Micro to a PC based environment (Could be anything that is PC
Compatible...even ASCII TEXT, or DB2 or data files or other type of files
).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Sundar Gunaseelan

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need some info on COBOL ISAM files conversion

On 14 May 1997 15:40:56 GMT, "Sundar Gunaseelan"

Quote:

>I need some information on how to convert COBOL ISAM files that are on a
>Alpha Micro to a PC based environment (Could be anything that is PC
>Compatible...even ASCII TEXT, or DB2 or data files or other type of files
>).

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

>-Sundar Gunaseelan

Sunder,

The easiest solution would be to do a simple READ-MOVE-WRITE routine
where you read in the ISAM file, move the fields into a SEQUENTIAL
file (suitable for DOS) with all numerics being defined as DISPLAY,
and then WRITE the SEQUENTIAL file.

A few caveats:

1)  If your input file has a lot of REDEFINES this technique will
require some additional work to determine how to restructure the data,
especially if these redefines affect COMPUTATIONAL numeric fields.

2) You will have to check on how the compiler/platform combination
will create the output file.  Each will have various idiosyncracies
about how it terminates each record and file.  You will have to make
sure that the record terminators are compatible with the DOS side of
things.  Just write a few test records once you resolve caveat 1 to
test how to set this up properly.

Boris

Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need some info on COBOL ISAM files conversion

What PC COBOL was use?  Realia, Micro Focus, AccuCobol, RM?

Quote:
> I need some information on how to convert COBOL ISAM files that are on a
> Alpha Micro to a PC based environment (Could be anything that is PC
> Compatible...even ASCII TEXT, or DB2 or data files or other type of files
> ).

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

> -Sundar Gunaseelan

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Info/Advice needed on IBM Cobol 2 to MF Unix Cobol conversion

2. COBOL ISAM Conversion

3. ISAM, old Microsoft ISAM, Alternate Index, Micro Focus Visual Object Cobol

4. Micro Focus Cobol ISAM files - accessing data???

5. MF COBOL accessing VBDOS ISAM Files

6. What modern compiler can read my LPI Cobol C-ISAM files

7. Need to access data in AcuCobol Isam Files

8. Need info on (un)successful mainframe to Unix conversions

9. HELP... need info on Ada Conversion...PLEASE

10. Tools for code CONVERSION or MAINTENANCE -- Need Info!

11. FLECS background, conversion info needed

12. _C-ISAM - where can I find info?