MS-COBOL and RM-COBOL to Windows
Author Message
 MS-COBOL and RM-COBOL to Windows

Hello
In the 80's a I have written hundreds of programs using Microsoft COBOL
(without SCREEN SECTION) and RM-COBOL. Today, I search a method and a
compiler ("low-cost") for a migration from MS-DOS to WINDOWS platform.
Who has a good experience in that domain ?
Thanks

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-COBOL and RM-COBOL to Windows

Quote:

>Hello
>In the 80's a I have written hundreds of programs using Microsoft COBOL
>(without SCREEN SECTION) and RM-COBOL. Today, I search a method and a
>compiler ("low-cost") for a migration from MS-DOS to WINDOWS platform.
>Who has a good experience in that domain ?
>Thanks

At my former employer we went from Microsoft Cobol 2.11 to Acucobol, which
made the application being running as a "native" windows app in terms of
execution. However, adopting a gui has been developed in parallel. This is
actually two questions. One is to make the application run under Windows,
which usually is straight forward with source like to tell about. Adopting a
gui is a longer run. But it may be adopted gradually as both interfaces may
live side by side.

Cheesle

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-COBOL and RM-COBOL to Windows
Hi,
Yes I have a good experience in this domain.
I have a 70,000 line COBOL programme written in Ms COBOL vs5.0 using the
screen section and broken down into 30 modules (called exes).
I did a lot of research on ways to migrate to windows, including receiving
emails from people reading this newsgroup and looking at the web sites of
all the main players. I settled for Flexus SP2. I use it for the screen
design & screen handling in place of the screen section and ACCEPT/DISPLAY
statements. I had to add some code in my modules to interface between my
existing procedures and sections and the files containing the windows
screens. The interface code is quite simple not requiring any event-driven
or OO code, It is just a loop testing for termination of field data-entry. I
can upgrade my compiler to 32 bit if I need to or keep using the command
line Ms COBOL compiler. The NT4 windows-terminal users dont know that it is
a just a 16bit app. I can change to a Fujitsu 32bit compiler from Ms (MF) if
I want to! (could be cheaper!). I can develop new modules using my new
scheme (SP2 + the continued style of code) and ad them to the app. I can
migrate to windows module by module as I have time.
For me this is total flexibility, minimal learning and minimal change. The
market believes in Windows so all they need is a windows front end, the
tested COBOL code behind the scenes can stay exactly the same. If we want to
we can put CORBA and JAVA on the side to migrate it to the web, so we are
not limited there. I dont know of any disadvantages to this approach, I
havent found any.
David Mowat

Quote:

>Hello
>In the 80's a I have written hundreds of programs using Microsoft COBOL
>(without SCREEN SECTION) and RM-COBOL. Today, I search a method and a
>compiler ("low-cost") for a migration from MS-DOS to WINDOWS platform.
>Who has a good experience in that domain ?
>Thanks

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. MS-COBOL 4.50 MS-Windows progs

2. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

3. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

4. compatibility beetwen microfocus cobol 2.0 and RM cobol with "linux 3.0

5. RM/COBOL & Cobol-WOW HOSTING

6. Cobol-CGI and RM Cobol

7. QUESTIONS/POSTS about AcuCOBOL, RM/COBOL, Mbp, or whichever COBOL

8. First Semester problrm: simple cobol rm cobol / 85 problem with subprograms

9. Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

10. Question about RM/COBOL and PL/COBOL compatibility.

11. Cobol Compiler: RM-Cobol for UNIX needed.

12. RM/Cobol 85 v.6.5 applications developed with RM/Panels running under W95