Comparison of Micro Focus vs. CA Realia II
Author Message
 Comparison of Micro Focus vs. CA Realia II

I am currently doing research for the selection of a standard toolset for
COBOL software maintenance offloading.  I would be greatful to hear any
past experiences anybody has with the Micro Focus Workbench or the CA
Realia II Workbench.  The primary environment is IMS, DB2, and CICS.

What are some of the limitations you have encountered?
What do you think of technical support?
What is the largest system you have successfully used the tool with?
To a lesser extent, what about re-hosting options?

I have a lot of the vendor hype and the spin-doctored product
descriptions, but I am looking for real world experiences. I am used one
of the products for about 2 1/2 years and I'm leaning in that direction.

But in fairness, I want to hear from other developers.  For those of you
who respond, I will return a copy of my findings via email if you
indicate an interest.  Be sure to enclose a self stamped and addressed
return EMAIL ID if you want the information.

Thanks in advance,

Leonard Neely

Mon, 06 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Comparison of Micro Focus vs. CA Realia II

Quote:

>I am currently doing research for the selection of a standard toolset for
>COBOL software maintenance offloading.  I would be greatful to hear any
>past experiences anybody has with the Micro Focus Workbench or the CA
>Realia II Workbench.  The primary environment is IMS, DB2, and CICS.

>What are some of the limitations you have encountered?

I have used the Micro Focus Products here.  In one case, the IMS/DB2
helped me test a online MFS screen IMS/DC program and bring it to
production rapidly.  This was using the OS/2 database manager and
OS/2.

As we went from OS/2 to Windows, I tried to find the same functionality
on the DB/2 side, and was given Microsoft SQL server as a possibility.
I tried to use it, but found that using it along with the EBCDIC option
didn't work well.  However, if your company will use XDB it probably
will have the EBCDIC ability.  I found Micro Focus to be very useful
in debugging bad bugs.  I was discouraged when I couldn't get the
DB/2 with EBCDIC with MicroSoft SQL.  But maybe that was my mistake...

Also, I used MicroFocus CICS and was able to do all my homework for
a CICS class here at U.C. Berkeley extension up in San Francisco.

Overall, I think Micro Focus is the way to go...

Chris Mason
"The Unknown COBOL Programmer"
The opinions expressed are mine, not my Employers.

LMSC5:  Tons of Beautiful Big Blue Iron...

Tue, 07 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Comparison of Micro Focus vs. CA Realia II

Quote:

>>I am currently doing research for the selection of a standard toolset for
>>COBOL software maintenance offloading.  I would be greatful to hear any
>>past experiences anybody has with the Micro Focus Workbench or the CA
>>Realia II Workbench.  The primary environment is IMS, DB2, and CICS.
>>What are some of the limitations you have encountered?

I have been using Micro Focus for about 2 years now and recently did a
comparison between MF and CA Realia II Workbench.
Micro Focus is by far the superior product when it comes to debugging,
editing and converting data files, and portability to other platforms.

David James

Sun, 12 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. CA Realia vs Micro Focus Workbench

2. CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench

3. CA Realia II VS MicroFocus COBOL?

4. Micro Focus vs Cobol II on sco openserver 5

5. converting Realia Cobol to Micro Focus

6. Linking Micro Focus code in with Realia

7. Micro Focus or Realia COBOL accounting programs

8. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

9. Computer Associates - Advantage CA-Realia II Workbench 3.2 Beta Testing

10. CA-Realia II COBOL WorkBench for Windows

11. - Cobol CA-Realia II Workbench 1.1 for Windows - Vendo

12. Cobol CA-Realia II Workbench For Windows Versione 1.1