DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
Author Message
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
20+ years.

The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
code. Help, I'm desperate!

Thanks in advance.

John

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
I'm assuming MicroFocus here.  If that's not true, then nevermind.

You need to rebuild the files specifying the Level II index
conversion.  Use a separate output file and things should work OK.

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:04:23 GMT, "John A. Simpson"

Quote:

>One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
>ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
>changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
>behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
>existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
>getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
>20+ years.

>The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
>anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
>but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
>code. Help, I'm desperate!

>Thanks in advance.

>John

---
Try a better search engine:  http://www.google.com
My personal web site: http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/2006/

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
Are you using national language settings? if so try to see your Lang
environment variable.

CArlos Ferreira

Quote:
> One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
> ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
> changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
> behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
> existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
> getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
> 20+ years.

> The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
> anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
> but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
> code. Help, I'm desperate!

> Thanks in advance.

> John

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:
>One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
>ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
>changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
>behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
>existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
>getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
>20+ years.

>The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
>anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
>but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
>code. Help, I'm desperate!

>Thanks in advance.

>John

John -

Oh, joy.  You running INFOS, too? <g>

Bruce Ray at www.wildharecomputers.com is a VS Cobol guru; he may have an
answer for you.

You could also try Egan Systems at www.icobol.com.  Egan produces a VS
Cobol-compatible product, and may be able to help.  It's their VX Cobol product
line.

You can try Eagle Software (www.eaglesoft.com).  They're doing a lot of the MV
conversions, and are the INFOS gurus.

Hope this helps.  I've never actually run VS Cobol, so I'm no good to you.  You
should be able to get a subcode to the 91, which might help.

-- tim --

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
Try specifiying that you want to maintain compatibility with lower levels
for I-O.

Also check the MIGRATION GUIDE.

Quote:
> One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
> ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
> changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
> behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
> existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
> getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
> 20+ years.

> The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
> anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
> but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
> code. Help, I'm desperate!

> Thanks in advance.

> John

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
The Isam internals have obviously been changed sometime between then and
now.  A 91 error is a malformed file.

You are going to have to dump the Isam files to sequential, and reload them
under the new compiler.  Possibly, you can do that with a pair of utilities
... one from the old version and one from the new.  If not, a relatively (or
isamilly, if you prefer<G>) trivial program under the old compiler will dump
them, and a similar one under the new will reload them.

Quote:

>One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
>ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
>changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
>behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
>existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
>getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
>20+ years.

>The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
>anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
>but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
>code. Help, I'm desperate!

>Thanks in advance.

>John

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:

>I'm assuming MicroFocus here.  If that's not true, then nevermind.

It cant be Microfocus here...
DG AOS/VS II  is Data General's Operating system which runs on their
MV computer series. This was a popular machine in the beginning of 80's.
The cobol compiler is DG's own version and the db system is called INFOS II.

pmeister

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
Hi

I've done some Coboling in the early-mid 80's on the DG MV/series.
A couple of things that I can think of:

- Are you using the right compile/link macro?
- Is your searchlist properly set to point to the right macro?
- You might want to check in the parameters for COBOL and LINK
  execute lines. With a new release, you get a standardized macro for
  compiling which might overwrite your earlier compile/link macro.
- There might be a version conflict with the new compiler. A release notice
  should be located in :UTIL:COBOL (:UTIL:COBOL.4.3).
  Check if compatible with AOS/VS,  INFOS_II, SWAT and/or SORT/MERGE.

- I cant remember exactly what stat=91 was. But if it is file structure
error
  (as suggested earlier in this thread) you must use IRECOVER on ISAM/DBAM
  files. I have some old manuals at home and I can check it for you if you
like.

regards
PMeister

Quote:

>One of my clients recently decided to upgrade their Cobol compiler from
>ver 1.3 (not a typo) to 4.3. I've done the necessary source code syntax
>changes and compiled and linked some modules to do some testing. Lo and
>behold, all of a sudden, using the new version, I can't open any
>existing ISAM or sequential file, nor can I even create one without
>getting a status 91 error. These programs have been working properly for
>20+ years.

>The supplier is no help so far. Has anyone seen this problem, or does
>anyone have any ideas? I've been programming in Cobol for over 20 years,
>but I don't have a clue what might be wrong here. I know it's not the
>code. Help, I'm desperate!

>Thanks in advance.

>John

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem
then a second thought....

didn't Microfocus acquire the compiler and
the Infos package from Data General?

years pass by...
PMeister

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:

>then a second thought....

>didn't Microfocus acquire the compiler and
>the Infos package from Data General?

>years pass by...
>PMeister

Mr. PMeister:

I don't think that Micro Focus acquired the technology from Data
General.  I believe that it was Egan Systems.  They still offer the
Interactive COBOL product (ICOBOL) and are doing very well.

Their web page is:

http://www.icobol.com/

Bob Wolfe, flexus
When replying by e-mail, make sure that you correct the e-mail address.
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:

>>then a second thought....

>>didn't Microfocus acquire the compiler and
>>the Infos package from Data General?

>>years pass by...
>>PMeister

>Mr. PMeister:

>I don't think that Micro Focus acquired the technology from Data
>General.  I believe that it was Egan Systems.  They still offer the
>Interactive COBOL product (ICOBOL) and are doing very well.

>Their web page is:

>http://www.icobol.com/

>Bob Wolfe, flexus
>When replying by e-mail, make sure that you correct the e-mail address.
>Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Bob -

This isn't ICOBOL.  This is the evil twin, VS COBOL.  Ralph and gang have
written a VS COBOL compiler, but they're not offering it on a MV.

-- tim --

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:

>>>then a second thought....

>>>didn't Microfocus acquire the compiler and
>>>the Infos package from Data General?

>>>years pass by...
>>>PMeister

>>Mr. PMeister:

>>I don't think that Micro Focus acquired the technology from Data
>>General.  I believe that it was Egan Systems.  They still offer the
>>Interactive COBOL product (ICOBOL) and are doing very well.

>>Their web page is:

>>http://www.icobol.com/

>>Bob Wolfe, flexus
>>When replying by e-mail, make sure that you correct the e-mail address.
>>Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

>Bob -

>This isn't ICOBOL.  This is the evil twin, VS COBOL.  Ralph and gang have
>written a VS COBOL compiler, but they're not offering it on a MV.

>-- tim --

Tim:

Thanks for the clarification!  So you know my Ralph and his gang of
compiler writers down in Tarheel Country!

They're great guys!

Bob Wolfe, flexus
When replying by e-mail, make sure that you correct the e-mail address.
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Mon, 09 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:
>The Isam internals have obviously been changed sometime between then and
>now.  A 91 error is a malformed file.

Wrong. With the release of DG AOS/VS COBOL 3.40, file status 91 meant:
  "(1)File does not exist on OPEN INPUT, OPEN EXTEND or OPEN I/O.
   (2) File already exists on OPEN OUTPUT, (3) file access denied
   (4) a DELETE of a file has failed because the files name condition
contains
   an illegal character. (DG manual 093-000289 rev 3.40)" .

pwmeister

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DG AOS/VS II Cobol Rev 4.3 Problem

Quote:

>>The Isam internals have obviously been changed sometime between then and
>>now.  A 91 error is a malformed file.

>Wrong. With the release of DG AOS/VS COBOL 3.40, file status 91 meant:
>  "(1)File does not exist on OPEN INPUT, OPEN EXTEND or OPEN I/O.
>   (2) File already exists on OPEN OUTPUT, (3) file access denied
>   (4) a DELETE of a file has failed because the files name condition
>contains
>   an illegal character. (DG manual 093-000289 rev 3.40)" .

>pwmeister

It's almost always an ACL error.  Have you moved directories lately?  Can you
get an Exception Status from it, so you know _which_ error it is?

-- tim --

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DG AOS/VS II Cobol Ver 4.3 Problem --- Update

2. VS COBOL II vs. COBOL/370

3. os/vs cobol vs cobol II

4. New CICS removes Translator support for VS COBOL II (and OS/VS COBOL)

5. OS/VS COBOL to VS COBOL II

6. VS COBOL II vs. OS/390

7. IBM COBOL post-VS COBOL II

8. Differences between VS COBOL II and COBOL for MVS and VM

9. MicroFocus COBOL vs. Mainframe COBOL II

10. Bull Cobol vs MVS Cobol-II

11. VS COBOL II to COBOL/400 conversion query

12. COBOL/370 vs. COBOL II TRUNC option