cobol 85 vs cobol II ???
Author Message
 cobol 85 vs cobol II ???

Could anyone tell me what to "II" in cobol II stands for??

I am a programming student learning cobol on a ibm AS/400.
Is Cobol II different than Cobol 85, and are some of the commands
different? Or is it just describing the compiler you are using like
mircofocus etc...
I hope someone can clear this up for me
thanks.

Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 cobol 85 vs cobol II ???

Quote:

> Could anyone tell me what to "II" in cobol II stands for??

> I am a programming student learning cobol on a ibm AS/400.
> Is Cobol II different than Cobol 85, and are some of the commands
> different? Or is it just describing the compiler you are using like
> mircofocus etc...
> I hope someone can clear this up for me
> thanks.

I think COBOL II is an IBM flavour of COBOL, where as COBOL 85 is the
ANSI-defined COBOL standard.  COBOL II would then contain IBM extensions not
found in the ANSI standard.

Del.

Fri, 12 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 cobol 85 vs cobol II ???

writes

Quote:

>> Could anyone tell me what to "II" in cobol II stands for??

>> I am a programming student learning cobol on a ibm AS/400.
>> Is Cobol II different than Cobol 85, and are some of the commands
>> different? Or is it just describing the compiler you are using like
>> mircofocus etc...

If you are using COBOL on an AS/400 then you are using COBOL/400. This
is ANSI 85 with IBM extensions. COBOL II is the IBM m/f ANSI 85 compiler
(again with IBM extensions). It is called COBOL II to differentiate it
from OS/VS COBOL (sometimes called COBOL I but never officially called
that) which supported the two previous ANSI standards, 68 and 74.

The differences between COBOL/400 and COBOL II are potentially enormous
or very small, depends on what AS/400 or m/f features you use.
I could give a complete list but I'm sure you dont want it.......

Don't use the 'blue' bits in the manual and they are the same language.

Jon

Sat, 13 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 cobol 85 vs cobol II ???

Quote:

> > Could anyone tell me what to "II" in cobol II stands for??

> > I am a programming student learning cobol on a ibm AS/400.
> > Is Cobol II different than Cobol 85, and are some of the commands
> > different? Or is it just describing the compiler you are using like
> > mircofocus etc...
> > I hope someone can clear this up for me
> > thanks.

> I think COBOL II is an IBM flavour of COBOL, where as COBOL 85 is the
> ANSI-defined COBOL standard.  COBOL II would then contain IBM extensions not
> found in the ANSI standard.

> Del.

Del is correct.  I have worked with both COBOL II (going back to an IBM
mainframe environment next week) and COBOL 85 (leaving my current
position, programming on a DEC Alpha Machine).  There are some "nice"
enhancements that COBOL II has, although I have not used them in over 4
years.

Sat, 13 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 cobol 85 vs cobol II ???

IBM VS COBOL II is either a 1985 conforming compiler with vendor
extensions, or a 1974 conforming compiler with even more extensions.
These compilers operate on MVS (XA or ESA)  or VM (maybe VSE, but I do not
recall).

For releases 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 4.0 the mode of the compiler is set by
compiler options - CMPR2 - if set causes the 1974 interpretations to be
used.

The circa 1989 Intrinsic Function addedum is not supported on any release
of VS COBOL II.  To get the intrinsic functions, one has to go to later
compilers, either COBOL for MVS and VM (current), or COBOL/370 (was
current offering till October 1995).

All of the above compilers can flag non-standard constructs using the
FLAGMIG compiler option (but you will flag a lot, i.e. quotes, COMP-3,
etc).

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. COBOL 85 Vs COBOL II

2. COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

3. COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

4. VS COBOL II vs. COBOL/370

5. os/vs cobol vs cobol II

6. New CICS removes Translator support for VS COBOL II (and OS/VS COBOL)

7. OS/VS COBOL to VS COBOL II

8. Rpg-II to COBOL/85.

9. RM Cobol-85 internal error after upgrade to Pentium II

10. Main Frame Cobol II (85) Programmers Needed - Tampa Bay Area

11. cobol runtime error 46 for cobol 85

12. COBOL 74 v's COBOL 85 Usage