OT: Bob's your Uncle
Author Message
 OT: Bob's your Uncle

Joe,

You have Richard's answer - but just as a fill-in :-

Jimmy,
        When I read your email, I knew that I had read something about
this somewhere a long time ago but I couldn't place it. When I went
looking on the Internet, I discovered everybody seemed to point back to
my
old favourite (but often unreliable) "Brewer's Dictionary of Fable and
Phrase."  But all my copy of Brewer has is that the phrase became
popular
in the 1880s;  there is more somewhere....
        It's a generally British term, though I think it's also
well-known
in Canada, somewhat less so in the USA.  This is what one web site
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) says of it:

Quote:
> "Bob's your uncle" is a way of saying "you're all set" or "you've got
it
> made." It's a catch phrase dating back to 1887, when British Prime
Minister
> Robert Cecil (a.k.a. Lord Salisbury) decided to appoint a certain
Arthur
> Balfour to the prestigious and sensitive post of Chief Secretary for
> Ireland. Not lost on the British public was the fact that Lord
Salisbury
> just happened to be better known to Arthur Balfour as "Uncle Bob." In
the
> resulting furor over what was seen as an act of blatant nepotism,
"Bob's
> your uncle" became a popular sarcastic comment applied to any
situation
> where the outcome was preordained by favoritism. As the scandal faded
in
> public memory, the phrase lost its edge and became just a synonym for
"no
> problem."

Jimmy

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:15:15 GMT

1. OT: Uncle Al ALERT!

2. Wanted: Hints'n'Tips'n'Bits'n'Bobs

3. OT: To Bob Wolf (Flexus)

4. Problem using Bob Weiner's OO-Browser

5. Bob Campbell's exception handler

6. Bob Campbell's mail

7. Bob's dolphin

8. Bob Wescott's Students from Symbolics

9. OT: Answer to 'Nerdy Joke': The Computer Programmer and the Frog

10. OT: (Humor/Humour) - Signs That You've Had Too Much Of The 90's:

11. Uncle

12. finding predicates uncle(x,y)