problem: mbp Cobol & Windows 98/NT
Author Message
 problem: mbp Cobol & Windows 98/NT

Hi everybody!

We have some programs written in the very old mbp Visual Cobol (bought
by Microfocus in 1994) running on MS-DOS PCs and Novell 3.12 Server.
Now its my Job to get these programs work with clients under Windows 98
or NT Workstation 4.0. Ive tested all possible configurations, but i
always get some file crashs.
Record locking while writing random seems to fail. There ist a small
application called VCMUISAM.EXE to test the record locking. It works
perfectly when using two MS-DOS Clients. It also works when using 1
MS-DOS-Client and 1 Windows 98 Client. But it fails, when using 2
Clients with Windows 98 or Windows NT.

Is there any newer runtime module, which I can use without a new
compilation of all programs (Im not a good programmer!) or is there any
trick with it?

The runtime module ist VCSIM.EXE (Multiuser), version 2.00.

Thank you very much for any hint!
Or perhaps you know someone who can help me ....

Greetings
Bernd Drechsel

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 problem: mbp Cobol & Windows 98/NT

Quote:

>Thank you very much for any hint!
>Or perhaps you know someone who can help me ....

>Greetings
>Bernd Drechsel

Don't give up just yet.  Did you ensure that you are using NETBUI and
not TCP/IP?  You may not have netbios support installed under NETBUI -
make sure that it is.  If not you could have trouble.

Secondly - and this might fix it for you - go to

My Computer
Control Panel
System
Performance Tab
File System button
Trouble Shooting Tab
Select the check box "Disable new file sharing and locking semantics".

Do it on all workstations.

Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 problem: mbp Cobol & Windows 98/NT

Quote:

> Don't give up just yet.  Did you ensure that you are using NETBUI and
> not TCP/IP?  You may not have netbios support installed under NETBUI -
> make sure that it is.  If not you could have trouble.
> Secondly - and this might fix it for you - go to
> Do it on all workstations.

Thank you very much for your hints. Unfortunately it did not work,
but today I had success in getting a newer release of the compiler (now
version 3.3 instead of). I am writing a small program to test it.
I hope it works ...

I will keep you informed!

Thanks
Bernd Drechsel

Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper development for Windows 95, 98 & NT

2. was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

3. 4.01 - Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

4. help:COBOL problem with windows 95/98

5. Windows 98 DDK & Windows in assembly

6. GNU Smalltalk for Windows NT/98

7. 95, 98 & Win NT

8. ALT Key CW5 and windows(nt/98...)

9. Clipper App causes other applications to run very slowly in Windows NT and 98

10. 95, 98 & Win NT

11. Clipper App causes other applications to run very slowly in Windows NT and 98

12. Native XDS-x86 2.32 and XDS-C 2.32 for Windows NT/95/98 released