Sorting a file with variable length records.
Author Message
 Sorting a file with variable length records.

Not COBOL, but SYNCSORT.  Do not know of any other place to post.
I need to sort a file with variable length records with INCLUDE conditions.
The INCLUDE condition is based on fields that are located beyond the
shortest records.  SORT complains that the fields are beyond the end of the
record.  How do I get around this?

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:51:54 GMT
 Sorting a file with variable length records.
Read your MANUAL.  That is answered both in the Syncsort manual
and for IBM DFSort, in that manual.

Quote:
> Not COBOL, but SYNCSORT.  Do not know of any other place to post.
> I need to sort a file with variable length records with INCLUDE
conditions.
> The INCLUDE condition is based on fields that are located beyond the
> shortest records.  SORT complains that the fields are beyond the end of
the
> record.  How do I get around this?

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:52:30 GMT
 Sorting a file with variable length records.
Manoj,
Speaking as a production support programmer who usually has a gun to his head
to get something done as quickly as possible (thought not as elegantly as
possible), I'd probably copy the VB file to a fixed-length flat file first,
making the LRECL on the fixed file as long as the longest record on the VB file
and padding the records with LOW-VALUES.  Then I'd sort the FB file.  Is this
an option?

--Steve

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:52:34 GMT
 Sorting a file with variable length records.

Quote:

>Not COBOL, but SYNCSORT.  Do not know of any other place to post.
>I need to sort a file with variable length records with INCLUDE conditions.
>The INCLUDE condition is based on fields that are located beyond the
>shortest records.  SORT complains that the fields are beyond the end of the
>record.  How do I get around this?

Have you tried using their GUI to develop your sort criteria?
My guess would be that you would need to INCLUDE some key
field that is common to all record lengths AND would be unique to the
record with the fields on the longer record.

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:30:24 GMT
 Sorting a file with variable length records.
A good source is a listserver/newsgroup, IBM-MAIN.

********************
* TO JOIN THE LIST *
********************

subject line), write: SUBSCRIBE IBM-MAIN

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:18:58 GMT
 Sorting a file with variable length records.
Howard,

can't seem to find the original thread - did you manage to clear your
scratch disk?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:18:58 GMT, "Howard Brazee"

Quote:

>A good source is a listserver/newsgroup, IBM-MAIN.

>********************
>* TO JOIN THE LIST *
>********************

>subject line), write: SUBSCRIBE IBM-MAIN

     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

      May you live in uninteresting times.

        (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:34:48 GMT

1. Getting true length of a variable length record - IBM Mainframe

2. Finding Variable-Length Record Length

3. processing variable length records in text file

4. Import dos file variable record length

5. Reading variable-length records from a file

6. How to access files with variable length records?

7. How to access files with variable length records?

8. Accessing variable-length records files in C-ISAM standard

9. How to read a binary file with variable length record

10. Processing variable length/variable data files

11. Variable record length input.

12. Variable Length Records