ACCEPT FROM DATE & COBOL II
Author Message
 ACCEPT FROM DATE & COBOL II

We are doing a COBOL to COBOL II/Y2K conversion at the same time.  I
can't beleive there is not a 4-digit year available from the system.

It is easy to code around, but if there is a feature of the ACCEPT FROM
statement I don't know of that returns a 4-digit year, it would make
things a little easier.

--
No sig file available

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ACCEPT FROM DATE & COBOL II

Quote:

> We are doing a COBOL to COBOL II/Y2K conversion at the same time.  I
> can't beleive there is not a 4-digit year available from the system.

> It is easy to code around, but if there is a feature of the ACCEPT FROM
> statement I don't know of that returns a 4-digit year, it would make
> things a little easier.

> --
> No sig file available

Some time ago, I saw a reference to an IBM APAR number PN76666 which would
provide a callable routine named IGZEDT4, which would return an 8-byte date
in YYYYMMDD format.  But the person who posted that said he couldn't get it
to work.

Would you be interested in a short ASM370 program to obtain YYYYMMDD and
YYYYDDD dates from the system?  It's 31-bit compatible but for batch only.

There is also a trick you can do in CICS 3.3 and above using ASKTIME and
FORMATTIME to obtain the 4-digit year from CICS.

Arnold Trembley
Software Engineer I (just a job title, still a programmer)
MasterCard International
St. Louis, Missouri

Mon, 04 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ACCEPT FROM DATE & COBOL II

Quote:

>> We are doing a COBOL to COBOL II/Y2K conversion at the same time.  I
>> can't beleive there is not a 4-digit year available from the system.

>> It is easy to code around, but if there is a feature of the ACCEPT FROM
>> statement I don't know of that returns a 4-digit year, it would make
>> things a little easier.

> Some time ago, I saw a reference to an IBM APAR number PN76666 which would
> provide a callable routine named IGZEDT4, which would return an 8-byte date
> in YYYYMMDD format.  But the person who posted that said he couldn't get it
> to work.

> Would you be interested in a short ASM370 program to obtain YYYYMMDD and
> YYYYDDD dates from the system?  It's 31-bit compatible but for batch only.

> There is also a trick you can do in CICS 3.3 and above using ASKTIME and
> FORMATTIME to obtain the 4-digit year from CICS.

The CALL to IGZETD4 from VS COBOL II works fine after APPLYing APAR
PN76666. The trouble I experienced at first was my own dang fault. The
program I coded to test the call to IGZEDT4 had IGZEDT4 in the PROGRAM-ID
so guess what -- a recursive call error. Ooops!

The syntax for IGZEDT4 is:

           YYYYMMDD         PIC 9(8).

           CALL "IGZEDT4" USING YYYYMMDD.

--
"There was no respect for youth when I was young, and now that I am old,
there is no respect for age -- I missed it coming and going."

J.B. Priestley

Mon, 04 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VS COBOL II - Accepting 9(08) date from system

2. Cobol & Cobol II programmer

3. Century Aware Date From VS COBOL II

4. date-compiled and COBOL II compiler

5. COBOL II get current date and time

6. 1999 DATE PROBLEM AT LEVEL II COBOL

7. COBOL II Date Conversion routines that handle ccyy...

8. VS COBOL II and Y2K (was Re: COBOL II Support Dates..was also C-A ....)

9. VS COBOL I & II

10. IBM VS-COBOL II & DBCS

11. Structured Cobol I & II

12. Problem "Accept from date"