RM/COBOL problems under Win95
Author Message
 RM/COBOL problems under Win95

I am running an accounting/inventory/order entry cobol system which is
compiled using RM/COBOL.  We have run this system under WFW3.11 just
fine, but as I am trying to upgrade to win95 (as a client on a netware
3.12 network) I get random file error 30's.  This is specific to the
win95 environment.  All files on the nework are Read-Write-Share and the
error occurs even if logged in with the supervisor ID.  I could really
use some help on this for I need windows 95 to work so we can use other
applications.  Thanks.

Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM/COBOL problems under Win95
Just Parts, Inc. schrieb:

Quote:
> I am running an accounting/inventory/order entry cobol system which is

> compiled using RM/COBOL.  We have run this system under WFW3.11 just
> fine, but as I am trying to upgrade to win95 (as a client on a netware

> 3.12 network) I get random file error 30's.  This is specific to the
> win95 environment.  All files on the nework are Read-Write-Share and
> the
> error occurs even if logged in with the supervisor ID.  I could really

> use some help on this for I need windows 95 to work so we can use
> other
> applications.  Thanks.

   Help us, telling us the version and the GUI/CUI - Interface and
the open/read-statement, when the error occurs.

regards

AS

Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM/COBOL problems under Win95

Quote:
>> 3.12 network) I get random file error 30's.  This is specific to the

Do you get the same problem under DOS?

Last time I used RM/COBOL was way back in college, some 4 years ago.
Everything ran fine under DOS, but when everybody took their projects in to
show the teacher, no one could create a file on Win3.1. I was the only one
who found a solution. Run under DOS. In this case you might try a DOS window
first.

Just grasping at straws.

Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM/COBOL problems under Win95

Quote:

> I am running an accounting/inventory/order entry cobol system which is
> compiled using RM/COBOL.  We have run this system under WFW3.11 just
> fine, but as I am trying to upgrade to win95 (as a client on a netware
> 3.12 network) I get random file error 30's.  This is specific to the
> win95 environment.  All files on the nework are Read-Write-Share and the
> error occurs even if logged in with the supervisor ID.  I could really
> use some help on this for I need windows 95 to work so we can use other
> applications.  Thanks.

It would be helpful to know what kind of 30 errors you are getting. A call
to C$RERR using either a four or eleven character parameter will return the
extended error code.  Knowing what kind of I/O statement is returning the
error would be helpful also.

What version of RM/COBOL are you using?  Version 6.51.00 is the current
version for Window 95.

If you are using Novell's Netware Client32 for Windows 95 instead of
Microsoft's client for Netware make sure that you are using the most current
version.   RM/COBOL version 6.5 for Windows 95 requires version 2.11 of
NetWare Client32 for Windows 95 (dated 8/21/96, file size 461,359 bytes).
Record locking does not work properly and file corruption may occur with
earlier versions of Client32.  Additionally there may be open errors (94,xx)
or other permanent errors (30,xx) with older versions of Client32.
Receiving error 30, MS Windows error 1 (30,12,00001 from C$RERR) may
indicate
 a broken version of Client32.

If even one client on the network is using an older version of Novell's
Netware Client32 then you may be seeing these problems.  A simple test to
ensure record locking is working properly is to run the verification program
pacetest.cob from two clients accessing the files on the server.

Hope this helps.

Robert Heady

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM/COBOL problems under Win95
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:51:49, "Just Parts, Inc."

Quote:

> I am running an accounting/inventory/order entry cobol system which is
> compiled using RM/COBOL.  We have run this system under WFW3.11 just
> fine, but as I am trying to upgrade to win95 (as a client on a netware
> 3.12 network) I get random file error 30's.  This is specific to the
> win95 environment.  All files on the nework are Read-Write-Share and the
> error occurs even if logged in with the supervisor ID.  I could really
> use some help on this for I need windows 95 to work so we can use other
> applications.  Thanks.

Try disabling the "New File Sharing and Locking Semantics" from the
Troubleshooting tab of the File System properties, of the Performance
tab from the System Icon in control panel.

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem with RM/COBOL, RM+DB & telnet

2. First Semester problrm: simple cobol rm cobol / 85 problem with subprograms

3. RM/Cobol 85 v.6.5 applications developed with RM/Panels running under W95

4. Network problem with RM/Cobol 85

5. Runtime Problem about RM/COBOL 85

6. Rm/Cobol & Pervasive SQL 7 file problem

7. RM/COBOL file copy problems

8. RM/COBOL-85 : Problem again

9. RM/COBOL, VB5 and VanGui problem

10. RM COBOL on AS400 problem

11. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

12. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400