Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733
Author Message
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:

> That's right....stop others from using your computer now!
> Desktop Blocker will password protect your Windows system so that

nobody except for you will be able to access your desktop.
Quote:
> Keep that co-worker off your computer, keep the babysitter off the

Internet, and keep the wife from discovering your "collection"(you
shouldn't be looking at that stuff anyway).
Quote:
> Desktop Blocker is a FREE download at:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> Take a couple seconds to view our SCREENSHOT:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Lock-up your desktop today!!!
> -EggMan Network

Or you could enable Windows passwords.

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:

>Or you could enable Windows passwords.

And they can boot with a floppy.  Set the BIOS password; much more
secure than any software protection.  Takes disassembling the PC to
override.  If they can do that, they can remove the disk drive and
put it in another computer. :-)
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:

>>Or you could enable Windows passwords.

>And they can boot with a floppy.  Set the BIOS password; much more
>secure than any software protection.  Takes disassembling the PC to
>override.  If they can do that, they can remove the disk drive and
>put it in another computer. :-)
>--

>Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc
>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Better still create a windows software program, that will be executed from
the registry at boot-time, lock out interrupts, then you have a
secure Windows platform.(if there was ever one)

Simon R Hart
Eaton, Ottery St. Mary, UK.

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:

>>>Or you could enable Windows passwords.

>>And they can boot with a floppy.  Set the BIOS password; much more
>>secure than any software protection.  Takes disassembling the PC to
>>override.  If they can do that, they can remove the disk drive and
>>put it in another computer. :-)

>Better still create a windows software program, that will be executed from
>the registry at boot-time, lock out interrupts, then you have a
>secure Windows platform.(if there was ever one)

No, not better yet.  Unless disabled from the BIOS, most modern PCs
will boot from a floppy disk or a CD-ROM, way, way before Windows
gets a chance to do anything.  TO be really secure, you must stop the
boot process before any program can be loaded.  Only the BIOS can do
that, because it is the first thing executed by system reset.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:

> >>And they can boot with a floppy.  Set the BIOS password; much more
> >>secure than any software protection.  Takes disassembling the PC to
> >>override.  If they can do that, they can remove the disk drive and
> >>put it in another computer. :-)

> >Better still create a windows software program, that will be executed from
> >the registry at boot-time, lock out interrupts, then you have a
> >secure Windows platform.(if there was ever one)

> No, not better yet.  Unless disabled from the BIOS, most modern PCs
> will boot from a floppy disk or a CD-ROM, way, way before Windows
> gets a chance to do anything.  TO be really secure, you must stop the
> boot process before any program can be loaded.  Only the BIOS can do
> that, because it is the first thing executed by system reset.
> --

What happened to those removeable hard disks? Just like a car radio -
take it with you. You can't get much more secure than that.
As a sidenote, there are people investigating the use of smart cards to
boot your computer. Don't think that would work with standard Windows,
though.

Regards
Albert Ratzlaff

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:

>What happened to those removeable hard disks? Just like a car radio -
>take it with you. You can't get much more secure than that.
>As a sidenote, there are people investigating the use of smart cards to
>boot your computer. Don't think that would work with standard Windows,
>though.

That would do it for your data files, but what about your boot drive?
Can those removable drives be configured as C:?  If not, then someone
could still clobber your OS, etc., and get access to your password
files. :-(
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733

Quote:
> What happened to those removeable hard disks? Just like a car
radio -
> take it with you. You can't get much more secure than that.

They got 'em now as caddies into which you install whatever IDE
drive you want. The "Nest" uses a floppy drive bay, the caddy has
a handle and key lock. Superb not only for security but you can
drop the sucker in a fire-proof safe. Cost? Less than $20.

As for security in general, we are super-pleased over SCRAMDISK,
a free, extremely secure, encrypted virtual disk system that runs
invisibly on Windows machines. Available at

www.scramdisk.clara.net

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Stop others from using your computer!!! 6733
They put a disk drive on a PCMCIA card now. I was astonished at the little
thing ... held 500 megs.  If you put your OS on that, you are as safe as you
are going to get.  Just lock it in the safe at night.
Quote:

>>What happened to those removeable hard disks? Just like a car radio -
>>take it with you. You can't get much more secure than that.
>>As a sidenote, there are people investigating the use of smart cards to
>>boot your computer. Don't think that would work with standard Windows,
>>though.

>That would do it for your data files, but what about your boot drive?
>Can those removable drives be configured as C:?  If not, then someone
>could still clobber your OS, etc., and get access to your password
>files. :-(
>--

>Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc
>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Stop others from using your computer!!! 3013

2. My player vis work on some computers but not others

3. DVF QuickWin Works On Some Computers Not Others

4. Labview program stops after computer with Windows ME has run for one hour

5. Labview program stops running correctly after computer is switched on one hour

6. TCP / UDP ports used by LabView and others NI products

7. Anyone used SB/others

8. "others" keyword used in reset

9. HELP: Direct video (non-BIOS) access, using OAK 087 cards and others

10. HELP: Direct video (non-BIOS) access, using OAK 087 cards and others

11. Using variables in /start/, /stop/?

12. start stop search using a UNIX variable?