OS/VS COBOL and z/OS Version 1 Release 3
Author Message
 OS/VS COBOL and z/OS Version 1 Release 3

Is there anyone out there running OS/VS COBOL applications under z/OS
Version 1 Release 2 or 3?

I am looking forward to the requirement and would like to discuss
issues.

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:01:49 GMT
 OS/VS COBOL and z/OS Version 1 Release 3

Quote:

> Is there anyone out there running OS/VS COBOL applications under z/OS
> Version 1 Release 2 or 3?

> I am looking forward to the requirement and would like to discuss
> issues.

I am working at a client site that is in the process of
migrating from VSE (using 74 COBOL which is very much like
VS/COBOL as I recall) to z/OS 1.3. We are not having a good
time. There are many problems with FILE STATUS errors of the
type where there is no further information (generally these
are the n0 errors). Mind you that a VSE to MVS translator
system is being used and we are still having problems. The
CICS COBOL seems to be working fine, it is just the BATCH
COBOL that seems to have these kinds of problems. Also,
there seems to be some interesting problems with CALLs to
the library routines from time to time.

If you post back to me, I am generally at the client site
all week and only home on weekends...

--
Steve Thompson
www.vsstrategies.com

Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:55:03 GMT
 OS/VS COBOL and z/OS Version 1 Release 3
Steve,
  Are you looking for any "help" on your problem, or are you able to solve
them (one by one).

Personally, I would be VERY surprised if this is a problem with any specific
release of LE (or OS/390 - z/OS).

There are a couple of things that I can think of that MIGHT impact a
"translation" from DOS/VS COBOL to OS/VS COBOL (which I think is what your
compiler change is).  If you are actually converting between other
compilers, can you tell us from which to which.

Things to look at:

1) What was the LANGLVL setting under VSE?  If it was LANGLVL(1) are you
using LANGLVL(1) or (2) with OS/VS COBOL?  If not, some problems may occur.

2) Are any/all of the "problem" files multi-volume tapes?  I remember there
being some "problems" in the VS COBOL II days of VSE with end-of-volume
processing.  This may WELL cause problems when changing OS.

3) Are any of the problems with VSAM files?  If so, you might want to check
not only the IDCAMS info (to insure they are identical in the 2
environments) - but also whether or not there are DOCUMENTED restrictions
that might have been ignored under VSE, but enforced under z/OS.

***

If you are actually doing a conversion from DOS/VS COBOL to a "currently
supported" compiler under z/OS - which compiler are you using?  There are
LOTS of migration issues there.

If you are staying with OS/VS COBOL, does the program work when STEPLIBing
to the OS/VS COBOL run-time library (or is that what you are using already -
in which case how does it work with the LE run-time library).

Finally, if you are able to "fix" the problems "one by one" - what type of
underlying fixes are you finding?  This may give me (us) an idea of what the
general problem is.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Quote:

> > Is there anyone out there running OS/VS COBOL applications under z/OS
> > Version 1 Release 2 or 3?

> > I am looking forward to the requirement and would like to discuss
> > issues.

> I am working at a client site that is in the process of
> migrating from VSE (using 74 COBOL which is very much like
> VS/COBOL as I recall) to z/OS 1.3. We are not having a good
> time. There are many problems with FILE STATUS errors of the
> type where there is no further information (generally these
> are the n0 errors). Mind you that a VSE to MVS translator
> system is being used and we are still having problems. The
> CICS COBOL seems to be working fine, it is just the BATCH
> COBOL that seems to have these kinds of problems. Also,
> there seems to be some interesting problems with CALLs to
> the library routines from time to time.

> If you post back to me, I am generally at the client site
> all week and only home on weekends...

> --
> Steve Thompson
> www.vsstrategies.com
> 330/335-9907 office
> Notice: By sending UCE/BCE (a/k/a, spam) to this address,
> you are accepting and agreeing to our charging a $1000 fee,
> per spam item, for handling and processing, and you agree to
> pay any and all costs for collecting this fee.

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:21:56 GMT
 OS/VS COBOL and z/OS Version 1 Release 3

Quote:

> > Is there anyone out there running OS/VS COBOL applications under z/OS
> > Version 1 Release 2 or 3?

> > I am looking forward to the requirement and would like to discuss
> > issues.

> I am working at a client site that is in the process of
> migrating from VSE (using 74 COBOL which is very much like
> VS/COBOL as I recall) to z/OS 1.3. We are not having a good
> time. There are many problems with FILE STATUS errors of the
> type where there is no further information (generally these
> are the n0 errors). Mind you that a VSE to MVS translator
> system is being used and we are still having problems. The
> CICS COBOL seems to be working fine, it is just the BATCH
> COBOL that seems to have these kinds of problems. Also,
> there seems to be some interesting problems with CALLs to
> the library routines from time to time.

> If you post back to me, I am generally at the client site
> all week and only home on weekends...

Thanks for your answer Steve.  My concern is primarily in the MVS area
and with the COBOL interaction with the LE environment.  Are you
having trouble there?

Ron

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:30:39 GMT

1. z/OS Version 1 Release 3 and OS/VS COBOL

2. os/vs cobol vs cobol II

3. New CICS removes Translator support for VS COBOL II (and OS/VS COBOL)

4. OS/VS COBOL to VS COBOL II

5. VS COBOL II vs. OS/390

6. VSAM problems re; cobol/os vs cobol/mvs

7. os/vs cobol to cobol II for mvs

8. How convert OS VS Cobol to MVS Cobol????

9. COBOL II calls to OS/VS COBOL programs in batch

10. OS/VS Cobol to Cobol for MVS

11. OS/390 release test periods Re: default variable initialization under os/390 v2r8

12. CobAnal for MVS, OS/390 and z/OS New version