IBM, User Priorities, and (future) Standards
Author Message
 IBM, User Priorities, and (future) Standards

From the Search390 "developer's forum", Tom Ross wrote,

"IBM is committed more to adding function that our customers need than
conforming to a COBOL Standard which may or may not have our customers needs
addressed. For example, the current standard requires that COBOL programs
continue execution after a divide by zero, but our customers would scream if
we did not abend and stop for divide by zero.

We have already implemented parts of the proposed Standard such as 31-digit
decimal, LOCAL-STORAGE section, USAGE POINTER, and some others, and we will
continue to add elements of the proposed Standard as long as we have
customers who want the new function. One of the areas of the proposed
standard that we are wary of is the SCREEN HANDLING section, since we
consider the user interface of the future to be browsers, not COBOL coded
screens."

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:28:08 GMT

1. Priorities,objectives, mission statement for new cobol standard - my opinion

2. ST80 user priority questionnaire

3. Ceiling priority and priority inversion

4. On Priority Scheduling and Priority Inversion

5. VA: VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk platforms and the future

6. Future forths on ibm PC

7. IBM and OO COBOL (today and future)

8. Enhancements for future COBOL Standard

9. XML proposal initial input for future COBOL Standard

10. *** "Duplication and distribution of current and future COBOL Standards in Jeopary

11. Future drafts (and final copies) of next Standard - restricted access

12. (newbie) new (future) fortran functions, fortran standard committee