"Dr. Know" career question
Author Message
 "Dr. Know" career question

Hello-

I just watched the movie AI by Speilberg and
find myself wanting to ask "Dr. Know" a question.

taking the beginning and intermediate MS Office
courses (Excel, Word, Access).  The problem is
they are teaching 2 semesters of C++.  I probably
won't mind the first semester of C++.  Learning
what a function and an object (user defined type) is.
I have read 10 chapters out of my C++ book and
realize I never intend to use C++.  It is powerful
but too complicated for me.

My financial goal is minimum wage. I can live on that
because I'm disabled and receive additional SSD check.

My career goal is work in a small company using
entry level business background to perform clerical duties and
automate some tasks using computing background.
The company would have very small or non-existent
IS dept.

Question (1)
Will corporations continue to make easier to use
languages (easier than C++) like Access,
Paradox and delphi in the next 5-10 yrs.?

There certainly seems to be a demand judging by the
number of posts (over 500) at the Access newsgroup.

Question (2)
Do you think its OK strategy for me to finish 5 courses
and get CIS degree in addition to my accounting degree
even though I will NEVER use C++ again??  Is having the
extra CIS degree really going to help when I'm in the
job market?? Price tag for courses is about $2000 total.
It will take a few years to pay this back!

My alternative is drop out and teach myself MS Office current
version using manuals and never mind about 2 semester of C++.
I already know what a function is and I'm not crazy about this 5th
class I need to complete my degree where I give a big speech.
I would use Accounting degree I possess to market myself.

The argument to my Dad is unless I want to develop software for
a larger company, why do I need CIS certificate??  The M.D. I goto
says I can't realistically handle much stress.

Thanks
jim

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:18:58 GMT
 "Dr. Know" career question

Jim,

What have you told us about yourself, handicapped, (we know and you know
that is a minus for a career - shouldn't be, but it is. Take comfort
from the fact Stephen Hawking overcame that challenge.). Seems your dad
wants you to 'do the best' even though you are handicapped. Then you say
your MD says you can't realistically handle the stress. The only
question here, is that strictly true, or are you interpreting something
he said to suit your own viewpoint. I'm not disputing your statement as
made - just questioning.

You know, many of these courses can be a real rip off, money wise.
Somebody just posted here; he shelled out some $20,000 on a piece of
software I'd never heard of. Even with this as background he can't get
into jobs that use that software. Similarly a friend's son, already a
junior broker, is shelling out $30,000 to be told how to use the
Internet to play with stocks and shares ! Agreed the info he gets may be
very relevant - but at least 60% he could pick up himself by just
sitting in front of a PC.

Presumably, having accepted that you can't handle the stress, you set
your sights low career wise and have opted for :-

"My financial goal is minimum wage. I can live on that because I'm
disabled and receive additional SSD check".

OK for today - but how will you feel in 5 years. Again your stress
factor comes into it. From what you've indicated, you are happy with
COBOL, but less than thrilled about C++. You've indicated you already
have a handle what C++ is about, i.e. objects and acknowledge its power.
Possible suggestion - you are happy with COBOL - contact Fujitsu and
Merant( now Micro Focus), explain your circumstances and see if you can
'swing it' with these guys to get a cheap version of their compilers
that give you Object Orientation.

As regards MS Office, they are always going to be upgrading to keep
people coming back and buying the latest and greatest. You can do lots
of nifty things, but in truth the layman finishes up putting as much
effort into these as a programmer writing in COBOL <G>. Given you
interest in COBOL, try and combine the two - you can call them from
COBOL. Regarding Paradox don't know the situation by certainly Delphi is
still popular, and particularly as a tool for Windowing - yes, even from
C++.

We are really too far away from you to offer real tangible advice.
Obviously in your location there must be some handicapped support group.
OK, perhaps nobody in the group is tuned into data processing. But if
you pursue it, within the group, somebody might know somebody, who knows
somebody, who knows somebody .............. working with a corporation
using COBOL. You might just get lucky. Give it a try. Check your Yellow
pages for Computer User Groups - that might even give you a lead. Are
there local recruiters known to your handicap group.

Whatever you do, every sincerest wish for success.

Jimmy, Calgary AB

Quote:
> Hello-

> I just watched the movie AI by Speilberg and
> find myself wanting to ask "Dr. Know" a question.

> I'm a student taking CIS at college. I took Cobol

> taking the beginning and intermediate MS Office
> courses (Excel, Word, Access).  The problem is
> they are teaching 2 semesters of C++.  I probably
> won't mind the first semester of C++.  Learning
> what a function and an object (user defined type) is.
> I have read 10 chapters out of my C++ book and
> realize I never intend to use C++.  It is powerful
> but too complicated for me.

> My financial goal is minimum wage. I can live on that
> because I'm disabled and receive additional SSD check.

> My career goal is work in a small company using
> entry level business background to perform clerical duties and
> automate some tasks using computing background.
> The company would have very small or non-existent
> IS dept.

> Question (1)
> Will corporations continue to make easier to use
> languages (easier than C++) like Access,
> Paradox and Delphi in the next 5-10 yrs.?

> There certainly seems to be a demand judging by the
> number of posts (over 500) at the Access newsgroup.

> Question (2)
> Do you think its OK strategy for me to finish 5 courses
> and get CIS degree in addition to my accounting degree
> even though I will NEVER use C++ again??  Is having the
> extra CIS degree really going to help when I'm in the
> job market?? Price tag for courses is about $2000 total.
> It will take a few years to pay this back!

> My alternative is drop out and teach myself MS Office current
> version using manuals and never mind about 2 semester of C++.
> I already know what a function is and I'm not crazy about this 5th
> class I need to complete my degree where I give a big speech.
> I would use Accounting degree I possess to market myself.

> The argument to my Dad is unless I want to develop software for
> a larger company, why do I need CIS certificate??  The M.D. I goto
> says I can't realistically handle much stress.

> Thanks
> jim

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:39:58 GMT
 "Dr. Know" career question
Thanks very much for your really nice reply.

I plan on contacting VESID which is a
vocational group which helps educate and
put people to work.

I agree with you about the value of some courses.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

college but maybe not me.

I will go check with the recruiters.

Thanks again!
jim

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:05:13 GMT
 "Dr. Know" career question

Quote:
> Hello-

> I just watched the movie AI by Speilberg and
> find myself wanting to ask "Dr. Know" a question.

Ghastly movie, wasn't it?

I liked the Teddy Bear (Robbie with fur: "Danger! Will Robinson" comes
to mind) and the gigolo (reminded me of my college days). Everybody
else was useless.

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:17:20 GMT

1. "Dr. O", "Dr. John", etc. etc.

2. Dr. Scheme "local"?

3. beginners "let"/"random" question

4. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

5. Anyone know "Kingston Turbochip 5x86"

6. Dr.Watson "Access Violation"

7. Q: Dr/MzScheme "boxes": what for?

8. Does anyone know anything about "METAMON"?

9. anyon know anythin about "squeeze"?

11. Parsing ""D""?

12. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?