Converting ADS to COBOL: Link to dialog with map loses place in calling program
Author Message
 Converting ADS to COBOL: Link to dialog with map loses place in calling program

I would like to understand how to convert applications
from IDMS& ADS/O to DB2 & CICS. We are very much
done with IDMS to DB2 conversion. At least we are able
to define the rules and guidelines to convert IDMS to DB2. The
problem is ADS/O to CICS.
I am interested in how pseudo-conversation can be
accomplished when converting LINK TO DIALOG statement to LINK
program-name. In ADS/O it allows to link to a
DIALOG
and comes back to the point where it linked. How can
we
achieve this functionality without rewriting the program.
There is no change in business functionality and we are trying to
eliminate rewriting the programs.

Gary

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:56:16 GMT
 Converting ADS to COBOL: Link to dialog with map loses place in calling program
Don't know if it helps any, but if by DIALOG you mean a screen display/read cycle,
then you can wrap it in a subroutine. The typical CICS cycle for that would be:

exec-cics send map(mapname) mapset(mapsetname) from (data-area-name)
  [erase] [data only] [map only] ...
  end-exec
exec cics receive map(mapname) mapset(mapsetname) into (data-area-name)
  end-exec.

It is a little more complex than that, because your program has to check the AID characters and
such to see what the user really did, but not difficult in the least.

So you may need to write some subroutines that take a map/mapset/dataarea and
make the CICS call if you really want to keep it a link thing. Like I said, I don't know if that
helps you at all, I've never dealt with IMS.

-Paul

That looks more complex, but it is pretty flexible, as you can

Quote:

> I would like to understand how to convert applications
> from IDMS& ADS/O to DB2 & CICS. We are very much
> done with IDMS to DB2 conversion. At least we are able
> to define the rules and guidelines to convert IDMS to DB2. The
> problem is ADS/O to CICS.
> I am interested in how pseudo-conversation can be
> accomplished when converting LINK TO DIALOG statement to LINK
> program-name. In ADS/O it allows to link to a
> DIALOG
> and comes back to the point where it linked. How can
> we
> achieve this functionality without rewriting the program.
> There is no change in business functionality and we are trying to
> eliminate rewriting the programs.

> Gary

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:12:49 GMT

1. LINK command that calls a dialog with a map causes loss of place in calling program

2. Calling ADS-dialog

3. Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT

4. Calling a non-COBOL program from a COBOL program on OS/390

5. CT - Senior Programming Analyst, COBOL, IDMS, ADS, CAS, MVS

6. Place your FREE personal ADs here!

7. Get PAID to place free ads! 2028

8. Place your ads... Free offer expires on 5-31-01

9. Place your ads... Free offer expires on 5-31-01

10. COBOL II calls to OS/VS COBOL programs in batch

11. Call HLASM program from COBOL MVS program

12. Calling a COBOL program from a PL/1 program