"Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?
Author Message
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

Begging the group's foregiveness in case my post is too far afield,
I'd like to ask whether anyone familiar with CICS can help me solve
the following problem.

How do I modify the "tab order" for map fields in CICS?  That is,
when I hit the tab key, the cursor moves from field to field in a
given order.  I've represented that order below by adding numbers
in parens.:

Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (2)
Addr: (3)                       PIN NO: (4)
City: (5)                       CREDIT: (6)

What I would rather have is:

Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (4)
Addr: (2)                       PIN NO: (5)
City: (3)                       CREDIT: (6)

I seem to recall that CICS takes rows over columns?  I have only
one book on CICS at home this weekend (silent on the subject, of
course) . . . so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction.

Thanks much.

JS

PS -- I watch the group regularly, so this is not one of those
"please e-mail the response" . . . but, since this might be too
far afield to be of interest to the group, e-mail is cool by me.

Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

Quote:

>Begging the group's foregiveness in case my post is too far afield,
>I'd like to ask whether anyone familiar with CICS can help me solve
>the following problem.

>How do I modify the "tab order" for map fields in CICS?  That is,
>when I hit the tab key, the cursor moves from field to field in a
>given order.  I've represented that order below by adding numbers
>in parens.:

>Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (2)
>Addr: (3)                       PIN NO: (4)
>City: (5)                       CREDIT: (6)

>What I would rather have is:

>Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (4)
>Addr: (2)                       PIN NO: (5)
>City: (3)                       CREDIT: (6)

>I seem to recall that CICS takes rows over columns?  I have only
>one book on CICS at home this weekend (silent on the subject, of
>course) . . . so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
>direction.

>Thanks much.

>JS

>PS -- I watch the group regularly, so this is not one of those
>"please e-mail the response" . . . but, since this might be too
>far afield to be of interest to the group, e-mail is cool by me.

I doubt there is any way to get what you want in CICS.  CICS relies on
3270 datastream when talking to a BMS map.  The fields on the screen are
defined with length, attribute byte, and data contents.  Data that has
not changed is not transmitted back and forth (but you can force it to be
transmitted by setting the Modified Data Tag on in the attribute byte).

3270 datastream assumes that the map is an array of bytes.  The real
problem is that, in a 3270 device, the tab key is NOT an
attention-interrupt key.  The tabbing actually occurs on the terminal,
and is never transmitted to the host!  You have to press an
attention-interrupt key (DFHENTER, PA1, PA2, any PFkey) in order to
initiate a transmission to the host.  At that time the entire screen is
transmitted, including current cursor position.  But if you just press
the "tab" key, the cursor is moved at the local terminal and NOTHING is
sent to the host.

My experience with CICS BMS map programming is not as extensive as
non-screen CICS programming.  Maybe someone else knows a solution, but my
experience suggests that there is no way to alter the tabbing sequence.

I wish this was better news for you.

Arnold Trembley
Software Engineer I (just a job title, still a programmer)
MasterCard International
St. Louis, Missouri

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

Quote:

> >How do I modify the "tab order" for map fields in CICS?  That is,
> >when I hit the tab key, the cursor moves from field to field in a
> >given order.  I've represented that order below by adding numbers
> >in parens.:

<snip!>

Quote:
> I doubt there is any way to get what you want in CICS.  CICS relies on
> 3270 datastream when talking to a BMS map.  The fields on the screen

This is correct. Tabbing between the fields relies on the hardware tab
codes (ie, autoskip etc), and therefore will jump from top left to bottom
right, which is outside of control of CICS, and lies rather with the
terminal or emulator, or whatever you're using. (This is true for all
3270 screens, not just CICS.)

--
Andy Styles.

     /o/-------------------------------------/o/

   \o\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\o\
   /o/ My opinions are my own, and do not  /o/
  /o/ reflect those of Ford Motor Company /o/

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

Quote:

> Begging the group's foregiveness in case my post is too far afield,
> I'd like to ask whether anyone familiar with CICS can help me solve
> the following problem.

> How do I modify the "tab order" for map fields in CICS?  That is,
> when I hit the tab key, the cursor moves from field to field in a
> given order.  I've represented that order below by adding numbers
> in parens.:

> Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (2)
> Addr: (3)                       PIN NO: (4)
> City: (5)                       CREDIT: (6)

> What I would rather have is:

> Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (4)
> Addr: (2)                       PIN NO: (5)
> City: (3)                       CREDIT: (6)

> I seem to recall that CICS takes rows over columns?  I have only
> one book on CICS at home this weekend (silent on the subject, of
> course) . . . so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
> direction.

> Thanks much.

> JS

> PS -- I watch the group regularly, so this is not one of those
> "please e-mail the response" . . . but, since this might be too
> far afield to be of interest to the group, e-mail is cool by me.

I'm not positive, but I think the behavior that you don't want is the
definition of a 3270 tab key (assuming we're discussing a 3270 emulation). If
I'm right CICS mapping won't even consider any other tab option, so short of a
huge rigamorole (turn every tab into a transaction and respecify the cursor
position on output??, reprogram the 3270 emulator you use??) you can't.

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

Quote:

> Begging the group's foregiveness in case my post is too far afield,
> I'd like to ask whether anyone familiar with CICS can help me solve
> the following problem.

> How do I modify the "tab order" for map fields in CICS?  That is,
> when I hit the tab key, the cursor moves from field to field in a
> given order.  I've represented that order below by adding numbers
> in parens.:

> Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (2)
> Addr: (3)                       PIN NO: (4)
> City: (5)                       CREDIT: (6)

> What I would rather have is:

> Name: (1)                       ID NUM: (4)
> Addr: (2)                       PIN NO: (5)
> City: (3)                       CREDIT: (6)

> I seem to recall that CICS takes rows over columns?  I have only
> one book on CICS at home this weekend (silent on the subject, of
> course) . . . so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
> direction.

> Thanks much.

> JS

> PS -- I watch the group regularly, so this is not one of those
> "please e-mail the response" . . . but, since this might be too
> far afield to be of interest to the group, e-mail is cool by me.

I'm not extremely experience, but I don't think it is possible.

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

What you're trying to do (change the tab order) might best be
accomplished with a 3270 GUI front-end.  IBM sells one called
VisualGen.  You develop the GUI using drag-and-drop visual programming
under OS/2.  The resulting executable can run on Windows 3.1 and OS/2.
This allows stuff like radio buttons, drop down lists, etc.
--

Director, Computer Technology   http://www.mmc.org
Maine Medical Center

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Tab order" for fields in COBOL/CICS program?

"Tab Order" is not an issue of CICS as much as it is an issue in
3270 datastreams.  The 3270 tab key moves the cursor to the
beginning of the next "enterable" field on the screen from top to
bottom, left to right.  Certain 3270 devices (most newer ones)
support extended attributes, one of which permits defining a field
as a "trigger" field.  This field could be used to cause an
automatic transmission to the host application upon tabbing out of
the field.  At this point the program could protect the fields
already entered (assuming they are all valid), unprotect the
fiedls in the second column, and reposition the cursor in the
first field in the second column.  I've never used this facility
but you can find more data regarding it in the IBM 3270
Information Display System Data Stream Programmer's Guide.  As an
alternative, try something different in your screen mapping, I've
built many very useable screens without resorting to auto-enter
triggers which are unsupported by the screen-mapping utility that
I use.  Remember, the 3270 terminal was basically a "smart"
buffered device that was supposed to offload keystroke processing
to an external box to releive the mainframe from looking at every
keystroke ... By today's standards the 3270 is now a very dumb
terminal.

--
Kevin P Corkery
Independent Consultant

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cobol ability to access "Bit" fields

2. "Tab" control and Tab order of controls inside the tab

3. Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

4. "A Guide to Cobol Programming"

5. need Cobol 2 "C"-program

6. field length error for COBOL/CICS online program

7. To "TAB" or not to "TAB"

8. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

9. COBOL FAQ - and the topic of "off-toic"posts in the COBOL Newsgroups

10. Prop:Order and "null" values

11. C5PRINT ORDERS.TXR MonthlySalesReport /P"theboss"

12. Template Question on "Action Tab"