Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX
Author Message
 Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX

:confused:

Hello Everyone :

I'm new to this forum. Our company is in the process of moving away from
"Microfocus Cobol" to "IBM's Cobol for AIX". I'm not sure if anyone else
has been involved in recent licensing changes Microfocus has
established. But they are too expensive for our clients. IBM's Cobol (
which I was surprised to find out is too, made by Microfocus' ) is
licensed much more affordably.

Has anyone gone thru the migration process from MF Cobol, to IBM
Cobol for AIX ?

If so, can you plz. forward me any comments, notes, documentations ? I
would be very greatful for any help. I will revisit this forum daily to
look for any updates. My experiences with other forums have been less
than desirable. I hope this will change.

taking the time to read my piece. Looking forward to your comments.
Thanks. Farhad.

--
www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:45:40 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX
Once upon a time and LONG ago, the IBM COBOL compiler for AIX was a
"re-packaged" Micro Focus compiler.  That hasn't been true for MANY years
now.  The IBM COBOL Set for AIX is *entirely* an IBM developed product.  It
is "pretty much" (I am not certain how much any more) the same as the IBM
VisualAge COBOL product (for Windows - and used to be for OS/2).  Its
"front-end" is also *fairly* compatible with the IBM mainframe COBOLs (but
again, I don't think they have been kept in sync - exactly).

There are many, MANY, things (extensions) in the Micro Focus product that
are NOT in the IBM compilers.  I would suggest that you try compiling your
existing COBOL source code with Micro Focus and the "FLAG(COBOL370)"
directive.  This will tell you which extensions you are using in existing
code that will NOT work with the IBM compiler.  This may be large - or it
may be small (depending on exactly how you have coded your programs).

NOTE WELL:
  The FLAG(COBOL370) directive is NOT current with the IBM compiler.  There
may be SOME items that it will flag - that are now supported with IBM COBOL
Set for AIX - for example, COMP-5 may get flagged, but is currently
supported by IBM.  However, this setting should give you a pretty good idea
of the amount of source-code changes that will be involved.  Run-time
changes (such as different results for arithmetic expressions) are another
matter, but usually not TOO bad.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Quote:
> :confused:

> Hello Everyone :

> I'm new to this forum. Our company is in the process of moving away from
> "Microfocus Cobol" to "IBM's Cobol for AIX". I'm not sure if anyone else
> has been involved in recent licensing changes Microfocus has
> established. But they are too expensive for our clients. IBM's Cobol (
> which I was surprised to find out is too, made by Microfocus' ) is
> licensed much more affordably.

> Has anyone gone thru the migration process from MF Cobol, to IBM
> Cobol for AIX ?

> If so, can you plz. forward me any comments, notes, documentations ? I
> would be very greatful for any help. I will revisit this forum daily to
> look for any updates. My experiences with other forums have been less
> than desirable. I hope this will change.

> taking the time to read my piece. Looking forward to your comments.
> Thanks. Farhad.

> --
> www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:56:10 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX
Thank you Will, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to
my question. I will share this information with our programmers and
development team who maintain our suite of applications. I'm not as
familiar with Cobol programming as I should be, but they are.

I will soon post their comments and share them with the forum members.
Thank you again for your help. Farhad.

--
www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:00:44 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX
If these COBOL dialects differ significantly,
(and I think they do), a manual conversion could
be very expensive and error prone.

We offer automated conversion tools and services.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html.
Our tools know COBOL, and we can explain
differing dialects to them easily.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

Quote:
> :confused:

> Hello Everyone :

> I'm new to this forum. Our company is in the process of moving away from
> "Microfocus Cobol" to "IBM's Cobol for AIX". I'm not sure if anyone else
> has been involved in recent licensing changes Microfocus has
> established. But they are too expensive for our clients. IBM's Cobol (
> which I was surprised to find out is too, made by Microfocus' ) is
> licensed much more affordably.

> Has anyone gone thru the migration process from MF Cobol, to IBM
> Cobol for AIX ?

> If so, can you plz. forward me any comments, notes, documentations ? I
> would be very greatful for any help. I will revisit this forum daily to
> look for any updates. My experiences with other forums have been less
> than desirable. I hope this will change.

> taking the time to read my piece. Looking forward to your comments.
> Thanks. Farhad.

> --
> www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:22:45 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX
They are definitely different enough that it might be worth your time to look into it Ira. I think the future market size is pretty
small though.

-Paul

Quote:

> If these COBOL dialects differ significantly,
> (and I think they do), a manual conversion could
> be very expensive and error prone.

> We offer automated conversion tools and services.
> See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html.
> Our tools know COBOL, and we can explain
> differing dialects to them easily.

> --
> Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
> Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

> > :confused:

> > Hello Everyone :

> > I'm new to this forum. Our company is in the process of moving away from
> > "Microfocus Cobol" to "IBM's Cobol for AIX". I'm not sure if anyone else
> > has been involved in recent licensing changes Microfocus has
> > established. But they are too expensive for our clients. IBM's Cobol (
> > which I was surprised to find out is too, made by Microfocus' ) is
> > licensed much more affordably.

> > Has anyone gone thru the migration process from MF Cobol, to IBM
> > Cobol for AIX ?

> > If so, can you plz. forward me any comments, notes, documentations ? I
> > would be very greatful for any help. I will revisit this forum daily to
> > look for any updates. My experiences with other forums have been less
> > than desirable. I hope this will change.

> > taking the time to read my piece. Looking forward to your comments.
> > Thanks. Farhad.

> > --
> > www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:24:43 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX
It doesn't necessarily have to be a "market" to make it interesting.
A single customer with sufficient need already has the interest.
We make it possible to build custom translations economically
(compared to almost any other method).  We can argue
about whether it is "economical enough", because it isn't dirt cheap,
but that's really up to the customer.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

Quote:
> They are definitely different enough that it might be worth your time to

look into it Ira. I think the future market size is pretty
Quote:
> small though.

> -Paul

Quote:
> > If these COBOL dialects differ significantly,
> > (and I think they do), a manual conversion could
> > be very expensive and error prone.

> > We offer automated conversion tools and services.
> > See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html.
> > Our tools know COBOL, and we can explain
> > differing dialects to them easily.

> > --
> > Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
> > Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

> > > :confused:

> > > Hello Everyone :

> > > I'm new to this forum. Our company is in the process of moving away
from
> > > "Microfocus Cobol" to "IBM's Cobol for AIX". I'm not sure if anyone
else
> > > has been involved in recent licensing changes Microfocus has
> > > established. But they are too expensive for our clients. IBM's Cobol (
> > > which I was surprised to find out is too, made by Microfocus' ) is
> > > licensed much more affordably.

> > > Has anyone gone thru the migration process from MF Cobol, to IBM
> > > Cobol for AIX ?

> > > If so, can you plz. forward me any comments, notes, documentations ? I
> > > would be very greatful for any help. I will revisit this forum daily
> > > look for any updates. My experiences with other forums have been less
> > > than desirable. I hope this will change.

> > > taking the time to read my piece. Looking forward to your comments.
> > > Thanks. Farhad.

> > > --
> > > www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:55:31 GMT

1. ASCII File (written with Microfocus) content and IBM Cobol Set for AIX

2. Help with Microfocus personal cobol and Microfocus Level II cobol

3. MicroFocus COBOL - CCI - Client Server - Rehosting - Migrations - Unix - Win95

4. FPSC - MicroFocus COBOL migrations export - contractor

5. MicroFocus COBOL systems Migration

6. FPSC Provides MicroFocus COBOL migrations/conversion services

7. Mainframe COBOL/CICS migration to MicroFocus PANELS2

8. Does MicroFocus Cobol run under AIX 5.1?

9. Y2K - Microfocus Cobol 4.04 on AIX

10. Microfocus COBOL on AIX RS6000

11. DOS COBOL to COBOL/VSE migration

12. MicroFocus and IBM CoBOL