JCL question
Author Message
 JCL question

This isn't a homework question, just something I'm curious about....

I came across the following line in a Linkedit step:

//SYSUT1   DD  UNIT=(DELM,SEP=(SYSLIN,SYSLMOD)),

What "SEP" does is plain enough, but I don't find it in "Brown" or the
latest JCL reference.  Is it obselete?

Unsolicited e-mails are annoying, but not that big a deal.
I'd rather not get them, but they're easy enough to delete.
The flip side is that sometimes they actually are of interest.
It's just like junk mail, we all complain about it, but once
in a while there's something worth opening up and reading.
-Curt Shannon

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 JCL question

Quote:

> This isn't a homework question, just something I'm curious about....

> I came across the following line in a Linkedit step:

> //SYSUT1   DD  UNIT=(DELM,SEP=(SYSLIN,SYSLMOD)),

> What "SEP" does is plain enough, but I don't find it in "Brown" or the
> latest JCL reference.  Is it obselete?

A search of OS/390 MVS JCL Reference GC28-1757-03 for SEP found this in
the section 5.4.3 Coding Symbols in JCL:

2.  Do not code DD or JOB statement keywords as JCL symbols in
procedures or jobs that are started by a START command from the operator
    console. This rule includes the following obsolete keywords:

        AFF
        SEP
        SPLIT
        SUBALLOC

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 JCL question

Quote:

>This isn't a homework question, just something I'm curious about....

>I came across the following line in a Linkedit step:

>//SYSUT1   DD  UNIT=(DELM,SEP=(SYSLIN,SYSLMOD)),

>What "SEP" does is plain enough, but I don't find it in "Brown" or the
>latest JCL reference.  Is it obselete?

SEP is an obsolete term that is ignored in current versions of MVS.
It's intended to  tell the system to use a different device than that
used for either SYSLIN or SYSLMOD.

This dates back to the 'old' days of MVT/MVS when you were really
concerned about contention and, in this case, wanted to make sure that
the workfiles were not in contention with the input or output files so
you could maximize throughput.

                                Scott Peterson

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 JCL question

Quote:

>This isn't a homework question, just something I'm curious about....

>I came across the following line in a Linkedit step:

>//SYSUT1   DD  UNIT=(DELM,SEP=(SYSLIN,SYSLMOD)),

>What "SEP" does is plain enough, but I don't find it in "Brown" or the
>latest JCL reference.  Is it obselete?

>Unsolicited e-mails are annoying, but not that big a deal.
>I'd rather not get them, but they're easy enough to delete.
>The flip side is that sometimes they actually are of interest.
>It's just like junk mail, we all complain about it, but once
>in a while there's something worth opening up and reading.
>-Curt Shannon

Yup, the SEP command was once quite useful to allow a programmer to
manage the channel contention for her/his job running. But, with
bigger systems and programmers less likely to know what channels had
what DASD, the concept lost favor. I think the keyword is still
allowed, but has no meaning.  This keyword hit its peak back when
programmers had access to the computer room and could load their own
disk packs on 2311 or 2314 disk drives....   <g>  No, many of you
don't remember that.... but I *KNOW* a few of you do...<vbg> I haven't
been in a computer room for over 15 years -- there was a time when it
seemed very important -- but not to me anymore.
david

p.s. curiosity item.... the SEP command was most commonly coded as
this post shows -- in the LinkEdit step -- yet the Linkage Editor has
traditionally been set to run in the most inefficient environments.
It has the ability to create large blocksizes, to manage large amounts
of memory, to manage many DASD drives -- yet I've never seen a default
JCL for LinkEdit in any installation that let the program do its job
-- other than the SEP command that went out of style in the
mid-to-late '70's ....   curious.....<g>

____________________________________

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. JCL Question about the RC system Variable

2. JCL Question about the RC system Variable

3. JCL Question

4. JCL Question

5. Mainframe COBOL JCL question

6. JCL Question about the RC system Variable

7. JCL question

8. JCL Question -SL Label Dump - IEHLIST?

9. JCL Question - IEHLIST - Answered, and Thanks!

10. JCL question

11. : JCL question

12. JCL questions - where?