CICS coding..read a VSAM file
Author Message
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Dear all,
  I have never coded in CICS before so this may seem obvious but
I am baffled.

A VSAM file exists which I want to read in a sequential manner.
The VSAM file holds a bunch of record structures but at the time
of reading I do not know the key of each record. I just want to read
it into memory and do a compare against one of the fields in the key.

Can anybody send the code for this particular job if they can. I think the
code begins with the line EXEC CICS READ or something.

Thanks.

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

> Can anybody send the code for this particular job if they can. I think the
> code begins with the line EXEC CICS READ or something.

What you are looking for is a STARTBR.  Do that first with low values in
the RIDFLD then use the READNEXT to read it sequentially.  Note:  If
this is a very large file, this is not the way to do this.  You also
didn't specify if the file was KSDS, RSDS or ESDS.  Since you did
mention the work KEY I assumed KSDS.  If ESDS you need a different
approach.

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

>Dear all,
>  I have never coded in CICS before so this may seem obvious but
>I am baffled.

Would I be thought rude were I to inquire why you are trying to write code
in something you do not understand without first studying it?

[snippage of difficulty]

Quote:

>Can anybody send the code for this particular job if they can. I think the
>code begins with the line EXEC CICS READ or something.

Are you *sure* about that syntax... 'EXEC CICS READ or something'...
something there doesn't look quite right to me, what does your manual say?

DD

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

I'm gonna interject on this one, because I am in just about the
same position. It is HELLISHLY hard to find information at the
novice level about CICs. Everyone assumes you know EVERYTHING.
Give this guy a break, he asked an honest question and it is
NOT an easy question to answer, at least in terms novices like
us understand.

  I would suggest perusing the IBM WebSites regarding CICS. They
are very helpful. The IBM people are also very helpful. I don't think
you could find a better resource than the CIC's mailing list either,
which I don't have the address for at this location, but I will
post the address for as well.

  There are some people on this list as well who will probably offer
help. I would advise listening to them, they make awfully good sense. :)

-Paul

-Paul

: >Dear all,
: >  I have never coded in CICS before so this may seem obvious but
: >I am baffled.

: Would I be thought rude were I to inquire why you are trying to write code
: in something you do not understand without first studying it?

: >

: [snippage of difficulty]

: >
: >Can anybody send the code for this particular job if they can. I think the
: >code begins with the line EXEC CICS READ or something.

: Are you *sure* about that syntax... 'EXEC CICS READ or something'...
: something there doesn't look quite right to me, what does your manual say?

: DD

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

>I'm gonna interject on this one, because I am in just about the
>same position.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Quote:
>It is HELLISHLY hard to find information at the
>novice level about CICs.

Ahhhh. *there's* the rub... what constitutes 'novice'?  In no wise do I
consider myself an expert in many things... but I'm pretty good at
*research*.  It reminds me of a posting a while back along the lines of 'I
don't know anything about COBOL but I've just been assigned to Production
Support'... I am constantly amazed by two things:

1) The assigning of Complex Technical... Stuff by management to those who
are neither trained nor experienced in dealing with said... Stuff.

2) The utter lack of willingness of said assignees to say 'Hey, I don't
know this and I never said I knew this... I'll give it a whack, sure, but
I *am* going to{*filter*}up Big Time.'

Quote:
>Everyone assumes you know EVERYTHING.

At times to disabuse someone of a false notion is a Good Thing.

Quote:
>Give this guy a break, he asked an honest question and it is
>NOT an easy question to answer, at least in terms novices like
>us understand.

An honest question, sure... but in the asking he showed no indication of
initiative or research outside of that which could be overheard, phrases
which bounce around the tile walls and stall-dividers of the lavatory.
EXEC CICS READ or something?  A rank newbie usually has the texts from a
recently-completed course, if not access to manuals.

[snippage of generally Good Advice]

DD

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

> I'm gonna interject on this one, because I am in just about the
> same position. It is HELLISHLY hard to find information at the
> novice level about CICs. Everyone assumes you know EVERYTHING.
> Give this guy a break, he asked an honest question and it is
> NOT an easy question to answer, at least in terms novices like
> us understand.

It sounded like a homework assignment (although his organisation says
"BT Labs"). Is there *no one* where you work (like the person who gave
you this assignment) who can give you some hints or pointers? Maybe an
existing program that does what you need, but to a different file, or
part of a different application? I do understand how easy it is to
flounder a bit in a new job / new environment, but saying "EXEC CICS
READ  or something" smacks of a green student or someone who's lied his
way into a CICS programming slot.

Anyway, someone already mentioned STARTBR, I'll continue the assist with
"READNEXT". Even if the original poster has no manuals, they're
available free on the Net (no charge to read them, can't speak for his
Net access).

Bill {*filter*}

(snipped)

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

> I'm gonna interject on this one, because I am in just about the
> same position. It is HELLISHLY hard to find information at the
> novice level about CICs. Everyone assumes you know EVERYTHING.
> Give this guy a break, he asked an honest question and it is
> NOT an easy question to answer, at least in terms novices like
> us understand.

Must disagree with you here...

His posting was (like too many in this group) pretty much:

"I'm a lazy slob.. Do not want to do any research.. Here is my problem..
Post the code to me and I can relax some more."  :-)

This may also be considered a smart thing to do,.. but it should be no
surprise that this offends some "old" hard-working COBOL/CICS people..
;-)

As you (and others) points out.. it should be no big problem to find
on-line documentation on the IBM sites.

Another thing..
I find it very hard to believe that someone is assigned such a task in a
shop running CICS.., and there is no manuals???
The manuals exists to be used!!!!!!!

And this is not "HELLISHLY" difficult..
It is actually *very* easy!!

EXEC CICS STARTBR
          FILE(yourfile)
          RIDFLD(startkey)
          GTEQ
          REQID(1)
END-EXEC

PERFORM WITH TEST AFTER
    UNTIL eibrcode <> LOW-VALUES (better more specific.. read the
manuals)

  EXEC CICS READNEXT
            FILE(yourfile)
            INTO(copyarea)
            RIDFLD(startkey)
            REQID(1)
  END-EXEC

--> PERFORM something-useful

END-PERFORM

EXEC CICS ENDBR
          FILE(yourfile)
          REQID(1)
END-EXEC

Not pre-processed.. not compiled.. not tested.., but this is basically
all there is to it.

BTW:
"..or something" is a famous phrase from a very intelligent character in
a MTV cartoon ..
(Butthead was the name I recall...) :-)

****
/Geir

Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Try the IBM Book Manager Home Page. I use frequently for information ===>

http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/library

Cheers,

WOB,
Atlanta

Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:
>Ahhhh. *there's* the rub... what constitutes 'novice'?  In no wise do I
>consider myself an expert in many things... but I'm pretty good at
>*research*.  It reminds me of a posting a while back along the lines of 'I
>don't know anything about COBOL but I've just been assigned to Production
>Support'... I am constantly amazed by two things:
>1) The assigning of Complex Technical... Stuff by management to those who
>are neither trained nor experienced in dealing with said... Stuff.

You think that's so unusual?  It happened to me. One time a bunch of
hotshots were brought in to write and install a CICS system, then they
left with it 95% done and Yours Truly got to maintain it.  And up to
then I'd worked mainly with a Honeywell system and a proprietary
compiler!  And I got ZERO help from the systems gang.  Luckily one
consultant from the original group was still  around doing another
project and was willing to answer questions.  But his stuff was the
hardest to maintain so I didn't put too much stock in what he said.

Quote:
>2) The utter lack of willingness of said assignees to say 'Hey, I don't
>know this and I never said I knew this... I'll give it a whack, sure, but
>I *am* going to{*filter*}up Big Time.'

Yeahhhh Suuuure.   And get shown the door in a New York minute.  You
give it a whack is what you do, and maybe by trial and error you
figure it out.  I did.

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

> >Ahhhh. *there's* the rub... what constitutes 'novice'?  In no wise do I
> >consider myself an expert in many things... but I'm pretty good at
> >*research*.  It reminds me of a posting a while back along the lines of 'I
> >don't know anything about COBOL but I've just been assigned to Production
> >Support'... I am constantly amazed by two things:

> >1) The assigning of Complex Technical... Stuff by management to those who
> >are neither trained nor experienced in dealing with said... Stuff.

> You think that's so unusual?

Not at all... but I am constantly amazed by it still.

Quote:
> It happened to me. One time a bunch of
> hotshots were brought in to write and install a CICS system, then they
> left with it 95% done and Yours Truly got to maintain it.  And up to
> then I'd worked mainly with a Honeywell system and a proprietary
> compiler!  And I got ZERO help from the systems gang.  Luckily one
> consultant from the original group was still  around doing another
> project and was willing to answer questions.  But his stuff was the
> hardest to maintain so I didn't put too much stock in what he said.

See later comment.

Quote:

> >2) The utter lack of willingness of said assignees to say 'Hey, I don't
> >know this and I never said I knew this... I'll give it a whack, sure, but
> >I *am* going to{*filter*}up Big Time.'

> Yeahhhh Suuuure.   And get shown the door in a New York minute.  You
> give it a whack is what you do, and maybe by trial and error you
> figure it out.  I did.

We obviously apporach this from opposite points.  I work from the
premise that 'there's *always* another job' so being shown the door is
not a problem.  I've been working as a consultant/contractor for... oh,
a goodly while now, and I do my *damndest* to avoid overstating my
qualifications as I find that a Far Too Common Thing.  As for *your*
situation... permit me to be rude but... was there any sort of salary
increase associated with your taking on of new and greater
responsibilities which (one hopes!) provided additional
value/convenience to your organization?  I think you see where I am
going with this.

(oh, and on a tangential note... my Sainted Grandfather, may he sleep
with the angels, used to say '*never* use *yourself* as a comparative...
you'll always be disappointed with others.')

DD

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

<grin> Well, perhaps you are right.  I could be just overly
sensitive. :) CIC's is the first system I've encountered where
wierd names and strange things seem to the the norm. (FAAASYS?
Now what the devil is the purpose behind naming a group THAT?! :)

I like CICs though, more and more the deeper I get into it.
The 3.1 vrsion for OS/2 even has a 3270 telnet daemon included,
making it super easy to connect to the sysetm from just about any TCP/IP
connected site. Heck, I even got it to talk to a 3151 terminal. :)

Okay, I admit it- I took your adivce about it being tailor
made for my current problem, and boy were you right. :)
But still --- FAAASYS, CEDA, etc... Haruymph!!
:)

-Paul

: >
[...]

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Oh my, you are right, it *is* easy!  Now why the HECK am I making
it so hard? :)

Actually, the problem I am running into is in things like STARTBR
(Startbrowse - why not *call* it Startbrowse??! :) and the other
abbreviations. And the Documents assume all over the place
that you know what the abbreviations are and mean.

There is also the conceptual jump to exactly how CICs handles
data; I personally still don' thave this down clear. CICs seems
to be able to act almost like a database, sotring information
in local files (VSAM, I think?) which amazed me. I never assumed
that and thus spent a whole lot of time looking for how the
data was retrieved. (Yes, I know, it was starting me right in
the face... somtimes I am very dense! :)

The single best part about the CICs and COBOL communities
though is pretty damn cool- if you *are* really stuck,
people are going to come out and help you. :)

(BTW: Thanks again to all you guys who shoved me into
the path towards CICS, and have provided a lot of help as
I worked my way back into COBOL work. :)

-Paul

: **************************************************************

: ****************************************************************

: Not pre-processed.. not compiled.. not tested.., but this is basically
: all there is to it.

: ****
: /Geir

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

> <grin> Well, perhaps you are right.  I could be just overly
> sensitive. :) CIC's is the first system I've encountered where
> wierd names and strange things seem to the the norm. (FAAASYS?
> Now what the devil is the purpose behind naming a group THAT?! :)

> I like CICs though, more and more the deeper I get into it.
> The 3.1 vrsion for OS/2 even has a 3270 telnet daemon included,
> making it super easy to connect to the sysetm from just about any TCP/IP
> connected site. Heck, I even got it to talk to a 3151 terminal. :)

> Okay, I admit it- I took your adivce about it being tailor
> made for my current problem, and boy were you right. :)
> But still --- FAAASYS, CEDA, etc... Haruymph!!
> :)

Glad you're making progress and that you are coming to like CICS. BTW,
what *is* "FAAASYS"? I've been involved with CICS, sometimes intimately,
since 1972 and haven't run across that term (that I can remember, that
is <g>).

Bill {*filter*}

(snipped)

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CICS coding..read a VSAM file

Quote:

>> <grin> Well, perhaps you are right.  I could be just overly
>> sensitive. :) CIC's is the first system I've encountered where
>> wierd names and strange things seem to the the norm. (FAAASYS?
>> Now what the devil is the purpose behind naming a group THAT?! :)

>> I like CICs though, more and more the deeper I get into it.
>> The 3.1 vrsion for OS/2 even has a 3270 telnet daemon included,
>> making it super easy to connect to the sysetm from just about any TCP/IP
>> connected site. Heck, I even got it to talk to a 3151 terminal. :)

>> Okay, I admit it- I took your adivce about it being tailor
>> made for my current problem, and boy were you right. :)
>> But still --- FAAASYS, CEDA, etc... Haruymph!!
>> :)

>Glad you're making progress and that you are coming to like CICS. BTW,
>what *is* "FAAASYS"? I've been involved with CICS, sometimes intimately,
>since 1972 and haven't run across that term (that I can remember, that
>is <g>).

>Bill {*filter*}

>(snipped)

This is a part of CICS OS/2.  I can't remember exactly what it does (Is it a
precompiler? a CEDA transaction? something else?) But CICS OS/2 (and I think
AIX and WinNT) use a "bunch" of FAAxxx programs to do things that "big CICS"
does via other methods.

--
+ +
+   Bill Klein -

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Record Count On VSAM File Under CICS

2. cics rewriting vsam files

3. CICS VSAM file editors

4. VB VSAM files in CICS 4.1

5. Read from a empty VSAM file

6. Read from a empty VSAM file

7. VSAM file status code 35

8. VSAM File Status Codes

9. TX - Dallas - Immediate need for Cobol CICS VSAM programmers

10. US-MA/ Programmer Needs: Cobol/CICS/VSAM/Telon/Esaytrieve +

11. US-NJ - COBOL/CICS/(DB2 or VSAM) Programmer Analyst - major bank