MF Dialog System, how to use
Author Message
 MF Dialog System, how to use

Quote:

>>We are about to start using MFCobol as a client based tool.  There are
>>two options 1) Have the Cobol program start first, it then calls Dialog
>>System or 2) have Dialog fire up first and have it do the callouts to the
>>Cobol program.

>>Is there a 'best' way?  Can you relate your experiences using DS?

>>Thanks!!

>Hi,

>Well I guess there is no 'best' way but these are the guidelines that
>I and customers that I have talked to have followed in the past and
>they seem to work.

>For a demo/simple prototype get cobol to call dsrun. for any other
>projects use dsmgr.

>dsmgr allows you to split your interface up into multiple screensets
>and programs. This has the obvious benefits of modularising the
>project and making it easier to assign bits out in teams.

I think Graham means dsrunner here (not dsmgr). As he says, there is no
best way, it all depends on your application.

However, for applications involving multiple screensets, I would
definitely recommend use of dsrunner, as it will automate most of the
work involve in switching between screensets.

There is one other big advantage in using CALLOUTs, in that you can run
the CALLOUTs from within the definition software.  This obviously makes
prototyping somewhat easier.

Fri, 03 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Dialog System, how to use

Quote:

>We are about to start using MFCobol as a client based tool.  There are
>two options 1) Have the Cobol program start first, it then calls Dialog
>System or 2) have Dialog fire up first and have it do the callouts to the
>Cobol program.

>Is there a 'best' way?  Can you relate your experiences using DS?

>Thanks!!

Hi,

Well I guess there is no 'best' way but these are the guidelines that
I and customers that I have talked to have followed in the past and
they seem to work.

For a demo/simple prototype get cobol to call dsrun. for any other
projects use dsmgr.

dsmgr allows you to split your interface up into multiple screensets
and programs. This has the obvious benefits of modularising the
project and making it easier to assign bits out in teams.

Graham Cunningham
NB these comments are my own and nobody elses

Fri, 03 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. MF Dialog System

2. MF Cobol & Dialog System VENDO

3. MF Cobol per Dos e Dialog System VENDO

4. MF Dialog System 2.5.64

5. sp2 vs MF Dialog System

6. HELP: MF Dialog System useless with new cobol v3.2

7. Vendo MF Object Cobol E Dialog System 32 Bit

8. MF Dialog System POST-USER-EVENT

9. Dialog System 3.1 - Using checkbox in listview

10. Using MicroFocus Dialog Systems with NetExpress on NT

11. HOW to create DLL's when using MF Cobol+Dialog System+embedded SQL ?

12. MF Dialog Question - Growing old sucks