I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL
Author Message
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

Is that possible?

        Do you know any util or lib that can do it?

I'am to do my final project at school and I want to do my program like
it shows in graphic mode in Pascal or as similar as possible...

        If you know anything that can do it, I will thank you if you
send me an e-mail about how to get it..

        Thx and Bye.

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

I must use MF-COBOL 4.5

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

Quote:

>Is that possible?

> Do you know any util or lib that can do it?

>I'am to do my final project at school and I want to do my program like
>it shows in graphic mode in PASCAL or as similar as possible...

> If you know anything that can do it, I will thank you if you
>send me an e-mail about how to get it..

> Thx and Bye.

Having seen  your other note indicating that you are using Micro Focus
COBOL, have you looked at the Screen Section and ACCEPT/DISPLAY syntax?  I
am not clear what you mean by 80x60 or like PASCAL graphics - but that is
probably just my ignorance of those terms.  However, if you are doing simple
character mode "data-entry" type screens, those can easily be done in MF
COBOL. If you are looking to do GUI (graphical) screens, this can be done in
MF COBOL too - but it takes calls to various APIs (for example Windows).

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

Hello there,

Does anyone know the minimum qualifications for an "entry-level"
programmer in COBOL?

I'm an older college grad (Eng.Lit. major--don't laugh, and a Phil.
minor) living in the San Fran area.  I've been reading  "Cobol for
Dummies" and "Teach Yourself Cobol in 21 Days".  Book theory and lessons
on a compiler are OK, but I imagine it doesn't come anywhere close to
the practical experience gained in an actual programming job.

It would be most appreciated if anyone can please tell me what I need
from here to get entry-level work .  Thanks.

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

Quote:

[snip]
>Having seen  your other note indicating that you are using Micro Focus
>COBOL, have you looked at the Screen Section and ACCEPT/DISPLAY syntax?  I
>am not clear what you mean by 80x60 or like PASCAL graphics - but that is
>probably just my ignorance of those terms.  However, if you are doing simple
>character mode "data-entry" type screens, those can easily be done in MF
>COBOL. If you are looking to do GUI (graphical) screens, this can be done in
>MF COBOL too - but it takes calls to various APIs (for example Windows).

William:

When he says 80 x 60, I believe that he's talking about 800 x 600
screen display resolution.  Typical VGA resolution is 640 horizontal
pixel density by 480 vertical pixel density.  800 by 600 resolution is
on the low end of the super VGA resolution modes.

....for an even easier way to implement GUI screens than the event
driven API, take a look at COBOL sp2......(sorry William, I plead
guilty to slipping in my P.T. Barnum-like company propaganda   ;-)

You can download an evaluation version from the flexus website at:

http://www.flexus.com

Bob Wolfe, flexus, rtwolfe at spammers-are-meat-heads flexus dot com
To reply, look at my e-mail address, get rid of the spammer insult and fix the address.
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

Quote:

> Hello there,

> Does anyone know the minimum qualifications for an "entry-level"
> programmer in COBOL?

> I'm an older college grad (Eng.Lit. major--don't laugh, and a Phil.
> minor) living in the San Fran area.  I've been reading  "Cobol for
> Dummies" and "Teach Yourself Cobol in 21 Days".  Book theory and lessons
> on a compiler are OK, but I imagine it doesn't come anywhere close to
> the practical experience gained in an actual programming job.

> It would be most appreciated if anyone can please tell me what I need
> from here to get entry-level work .  Thanks.

   The best advice I've heard is that if you are familiar with an industry
and you are able to take a business problem and develop a business solution
by using COBOL then consider yourself a COBOL programmer

   The college I used to attend offerred two classes in COBOL. 1 and 2.
According to the advisors, taking the first one increases your chances of
getting an entry level programming position. Completing both classes
guarantees you an entry level programming position.

   Hope this answers your question.

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

When someone says 80X60 that usually means 80 columns across with
screen, with 60 rows on the screen.  This is common for text screens
displaying a whole page of text at once, as opposed to 80x24 or 80x25
that most CRTs would display.  How times have changed (mostly for the
better) that people are no longer certain what these terms mean. Where I
work we constantly run across this kind of confusion, as people who grew
up on PCs never had to deal with these kinds of display restrictions and
have no way to relate to these older concepts.

Charles Hall

> >am not clear what you mean by 80x60 or like PASCAL graphics - but
> that is
> >probably just my ignorance of those terms.

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

Quote:

>[snip]
>>Having seen  your other note indicating that you are using Micro Focus
>>COBOL, have you looked at the Screen Section and ACCEPT/DISPLAY syntax?  I
>>am not clear what you mean by 80x60 or like PASCAL graphics - but that is
>When he says 80 x 60, I believe that he's talking about 800 x 600

First, Thanks for your interest.

        I'm sorry, but my English is not as good as I should want...
When I said 'work by 80x60' I mean 80 columns by 60 lines or something
like that, in text-mode.

        Is it possible to do it by means of any Standard lib or CALL
statement? If it is not, then how can I do it?

        I have read all messages about Flexus, but if they are for
Windows or trial version, I think I may not use them... I'm sorry
again.

        My project must be run on MS-DOS, or maybe in Linux if I could
(but I think it will not be possible, I am the only one that knows
Linux in my work-group, and not  a lot).

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

If you have the Micro Focus compiler and you are interested in text-mode
only screens, then using the Screen Section and the ACCEPT/DISPLAY verbs
should work fine.

As I recall, Micro Focus still defaults to running 80x25 - but does have a
run-time switch that supports more lines per screen.

The ACCEPT/DISPLAY  and Screen Section syntax should be in your Language
Reference manual; the run-time switch should be in your user guide.

(If you don't have access to the Micro Focus documentation, then you should
ask your teacher or lab assistant how to get a hold of it.)

Quote:

>>[snip]
>>>Having seen  your other note indicating that you are using Micro Focus
>>>COBOL, have you looked at the Screen Section and ACCEPT/DISPLAY syntax?
>>>am not clear what you mean by 80x60 or like PASCAL graphics - but that is

>>When he says 80 x 60, I believe that he's talking about 800 x 600

>First, Thanks for your interest.

> I'm sorry, but my English is not as good as I should want...
>When I said 'work by 80x60' I mean 80 columns by 60 lines or something
>like that, in text-mode.

> Is it possible to do it by means of any Standard lib or CALL
>statement? If it is not, then how can I do it?

> I have read all messages about Flexus, but if they are for
>Windows or trial version, I think I may not use them... I'm sorry
>again.

> My project must be run on MS-DOS, or maybe in Linux if I could
>(but I think it will not be possible, I am the only one that knows
>Linux in my work-group, and not  a lot).

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. need proggi for making structure in cobol source

2. need proggi for making structure in cobol source

3. TechTips: Making working-at-home work

4. ** Screen Capture Utility **

5. Screen Design Utility

6. VGA Character Print Screen Utility

7. NJ COBOL Student needs work

8. Conversion Utility For CAI/Realia Screen Panels????

9. Screen grab utility for TCL

10. ANNOUNCE : Screen Printing utility.

11. WAIT or similar function in COBOL

12. Looking for a Cobol FAQ [or similar]