Help! - Data Conversion!
Author Message
 Help! - Data Conversion!

I have a massive RM Cobol data file that I want to convert into an ascii
file that I can import into a spreadsheet or database. Unfortunately,
after I looked at the file in debug, I saw that its in some compressed
linked list format and its not obvious how to take it apart with a simple
C program.

I heard that the RECOVER2 utility will do this, but as far as I can
tell, that will only fix a broken file, which this file isn't. I called
Ryan McFarland, and they were very childish, implying that the solution
was easy but that the COBOL version I had was such that they would not
talk to me till I got a newer version,(Despite the fact that I have a
licensed copy and would normally be entitiled to one free support call.)
All this makes me even more anxious to get this file converted so that the
words Ryan and McFarland do not have to enter my brain any more.

Thanks for any help!

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! - Data Conversion!

Quote:

>I have a massive RM Cobol data file that I want to convert into an ascii

I recently discoverd how to do this with MF Cobol. So
far I have read a 25 meg MF Cobol file to an ascii file
and imported to MsAccess.  I was luck to have the
xxxxx.cbl file to define my fields.  If you would like

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! - Data Conversion!

I want to thank the parties that responded to me! I was told how to
overcome the problem with a simple Cobol program and also provided
with C source to do the job (which I am more comfortable with)

The only negative response I got was from the RM people at Liant.
Check this out...

These boys really need to be sent to finishing school!

Quote:
>You certainly are a charmer!  If I were in tech support, and I were
>approached in the manner shown in this post, I wouldn't want to help you at
>all.
>Don't worry about us Ryan-McFarland types bothering you again!
>Tom Morrison
>(one of the authors of RM/COBOL)

Quote:

>I have a massive RM Cobol data file that I want to convert into an ascii
>file that I can import into a spreadsheet or database. Unfortunately,
>after I looked at the file in debug, I saw that its in some compressed
>linked list format and its not obvious how to take it apart with a simple
>C program.

>I heard that the RECOVER2 utility will do this, but as far as I can
>tell, that will only fix a broken file, which this file isn't. I called
>Ryan McFarland, and they were very childish, implying that the solution
>was easy but that the COBOL version I had was such that they would not
>talk to me till I got a newer version,(Despite the fact that I have a
>licensed copy and would normally be entitiled to one free support call.)
>All this makes me even more anxious to get this file converted so that the
>words Ryan and McFarland do not have to enter my brain any more.

>Thanks for any help!

Wed, 03 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Data Conversion: Integer to String --Please Help

2. Data Conversion: Integer to String --Please Help

3. data conversion help needed

4. Cobol - Data Exception (Conversion Data).

5. help reading negative values in data file - test code and test data

6. Floating point data conversion

7. Data conversion

8. Data conversions in JFW

9. Data conversions in JFW