field length error for COBOL/CICS online program
Author Message
 field length error for COBOL/CICS online program

Hi,

I have problem with my Cobol/CICS program amendment. I have added one
field to existing screen which is defined as length = 02.  While I do
the test, I found amazing thing is that actual field length more than
2 byte ? (enough to fill in the rest part of the line) Can anybody
help me to find out what's the possible reason for that ? Or any
method for testing the actual reason for that ? Thanks adance for your
help. Thanks.

The BMS Mapset :
BRNOTE   DFHMDF POS=(20,60),LENGTH=02,ATTRB=(UNPROT,FSET),
X02383000
               JUSTIFY=(RIGHT,ZERO),PICOUT='99'
 02384000

Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:23:11 GMT
 field length error for COBOL/CICS online program

Off the top of my head you need to close the field.  Although the
program will only accept 2 bytes the screen has no skip after this
field and so allows the entry of more data.  Try something like

DFHMDF POS=(20,63),ATTRB=(ASKIP),LENGTH=01

Quote:
>Hi,

>I have problem with my Cobol/CICS program amendment. I have added one
>field to existing screen which is defined as length = 02.  While I do
>the test, I found amazing thing is that actual field length more than
>2 byte ? (enough to fill in the rest part of the line) Can anybody
>help me to find out what's the possible reason for that ? Or any
>method for testing the actual reason for that ? Thanks adance for your
>help. Thanks.

>The BMS Mapset :
>BRNOTE   DFHMDF POS=(20,60),LENGTH=02,ATTRB=(UNPROT,FSET),
>X02383000
>               JUSTIFY=(RIGHT,ZERO),PICOUT='99'
> 02384000

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:10:37 GMT
 field length error for COBOL/CICS online program

Quote:
>Hi,

>I have problem with my Cobol/CICS program amendment.

Did you do each of the following:

Reassemble the map and create a new map load module

NEWCOPY the new map library

Reassemble the map and create a new copy book

Recompile the application program that uses/copies in the copy book

NEWCOPY the new version of the application program

     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

      When fate arrives, the physician becomes a fool.

        (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:30:03 GMT
 field length error for COBOL/CICS online program
Hello Calvin,

Answers below your question:

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have problem with my Cobol/CICS program amendment. I have added one
> field to existing screen which is defined as length = 02.  While I do
> the test, I found amazing thing is that actual field length more than
> 2 byte ? (enough to fill in the rest part of the line) Can anybody
> help me to find out what's the possible reason for that ? Or any
> method for testing the actual reason for that ? Thanks adance for your
> help. Thanks.

> The BMS Mapset :
> BRNOTE   DFHMDF POS=(20,60),LENGTH=02,ATTRB=(UNPROT,FSET),
> X02383000
>                JUSTIFY=(RIGHT,ZERO),PICOUT='99'
>  02384000

It been a while since I last used CICS, but I think what you need to
follow your new field is a stopper byte, which can be defined as
follows:

           DFHMDF POS=(20,62),LENGTH=1,ATTRB=(ASKIP,NORM),LENGTH=01

You will probably see similar examples of stopper bytes in your
pre-existing mapset, one after each real field.

Hope this Helps, Robert

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:41:12 GMT

1. Error calling CICS assembler program to a COBOL II prog

2. APPC cobol application programming sample (CICS to CICS on different machine)

3. Looking for online COBOL/CICS/DB2 manuals.

4. DBFNSX - Index on Numeric Field length 7 ERROR ?

5. V0 2.1a1 - error length in numeric field

6. EIBCPOSN to determine field in CICS Program

7. Length 1 dimension LENGTH ERROR

8. what is the avarage length of cobol programs

9. Compiling CICS / DB2 programs on IBM VisualAGE COBOL v2.2

10. Calling a cobol program from a CSP transaction under CICS

11. Read a PDS member from a CICS-COBOL program

12. Find tutorial or examples on CICS and COBOL programming