Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)
Author Message
 Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

Hi!

We are studying the possibility of migrating our VAX/VMS COBOL system
to UNIX COBOL (Solaris).

Can anybody help me on what are the steps needed to convert the system?
What are the tools that we can use to convert our system?

Thank you very much in advance.

John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

Quote:
> We are studying the possibility of migrating our
> VAX/VMS COBOL system to UNIX COBOL (Solaris).

> Can anybody help me on what are the steps needed to
> convert the system?
> What are the tools that we can use to convert our system?

As a VMS bigot, I'm sorry to see that you may be leaving VMS.

Another option to consider, if your heart is set on UNIX, is Tru64 UNIX.
I believe that the Tru64 COBOL compiler is shared with VMS.

Anyway, I suggest that you get all your source code files up to standard
on your current system - the definition of standard is left as an
exercise for the student.  :-)  Seriously, look at the COBOL compiler
options, especially /standard= and /warnings=.  Make the compiler as
cranky as possible.  Then go fix the code to eliminate the messages.
Some messages you may decide to live with but be prepared to explain
your reasons.  You may want to consider upgrading to the latest compiler
version for the bug fixes and standards compliance.

At a previous job, I wrote command procedures that searched for source
files (COBOL, C, forms, macro, link, ...), compiled them all, and linked
new executables.  We found programs that hadn't been compiled in years
(used compiler features that were no longer available), there were
missing source files (five year old backups can be very handy), lots of
unused programs (if no one links to it, get rid of it), etc..  We
started with around 1,500 source files, most of them COBOL, and it took
two of us about two months to get everything to compile and link ...
then the users had to test it to be sure this was pretty close to the
current production system, that took three months.  *Then* we started
making Y2K fixes.

So my recommendation is to use the tools you have and write code to
commonly accepted standards.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)
I've answered a similar question here before, but here goes again.

VMS COBOL is very very standard.  If you don't use DEC forms the
conversion of the COBOL will be fairly simple.  However, the whole VMS
thing of Logicals and Symbols and how the file system creates
generations (Versions) of the data files, will be a bigger issue.
That and the fact that at least at the VMS installation were I am, we
do a LOT of stuff in the DCL.  Converting that DCL could be
significant.

Quote:

>Hi!

>We are studying the possibility of migrating our VAX/VMS COBOL system
>to UNIX COBOL (Solaris).

>Can anybody help me on what are the steps needed to convert the system?
>What are the tools that we can use to convert our system?

>Thank you very much in advance.

>John

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

---
Try a better search engine:  http://www.google.com
My personal web site: http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/2006/

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

[snip]

Quote:

> Anyway, I suggest that you get all your source code files up to standard
> on your current system - the definition of standard is left as an
> exercise for the student.  :-)  Seriously, look at the COBOL compiler
> options, especially /standard= and /warnings=.  Make the compiler as
> cranky as possible.  Then go fix the code to eliminate the messages.

This is an excellent piece of advice, with wide applicability.

Mr. Klein, I nominate this for the FAQ.

Tom Morrison
Liant Software Corporation

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

Quote:

> Anyway, I suggest that you get all your source code files up to standard
> on your current system - the definition of standard is left as an
> exercise for the student.  :-)  Seriously, look at the COBOL compiler
> options, especially /standard= and /warnings=.  Make the compiler as
> cranky as possible.  Then go fix the code to eliminate the messages.

This advice is exactly what is written in Steve McConnell Code
Complete.  The bible of writing good code.  (Note that good christians
do not always follow the bible :-})

Thanks
Ken Foskey
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~waratah/

For fast secure document delivery on the Net
http://www.themailxchange.com.au/

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

Quote:

> > Anyway, I suggest that you get all your source code files up to standard
> > on your current system - the definition of standard is left as an
> > exercise for the student.  :-)  Seriously, look at the COBOL compiler
> > options, especially /standard= and /warnings=.  Make the compiler as
> > cranky as possible.  Then go fix the code to eliminate the messages.

> This advice is exactly what is written in Steve McConnell Code
> Complete.  The bible of writing good code.  (Note that good christians
> do not always follow the bible :-})

So what do they follow ? Now watch it ! We don't want to get Judson all
wound up <G>

Jimmy

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Justify left numeric field, VAX/VMS Cobol

2. Help for COBOL in VAX/VMS

3. Named a file in COBOL for VAX/VMS.

4. JOB POSTING - MA - BOSTON - VAX/VMS - COBOL

5. US-FL-Cobol-vax-vms - WANTED Send info to 1076366@charter.net

6. vms/vax/alpha cobol ingres programmer consultant available

7. Seeking Samples COBOL Source running in a Vax/VMS

8. CLRSCRN from cobol on VAX VMS ?

9. Migrating Legacy COBOL to NT & UNIX

10. VAX/VMS Cobol - Online

11. VAX/VMS COBOL vs IBM - translation?

12. VAX,VMS, Cobol developers, Phoenix, PRODATA, INC.