MF Cobol Printing - Win95
Author Message
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

I have a program compiled using MF Cobol 3.2.  Compiled under DOS, it
printed fine.  The same for Windows 3.1.  However, under Windows 95,
it's not printing.  I'm not doing anything fancy, just opening a file,
moving the line to the print buffer, and printing it.  Is there
something I need to do in Windows 95 first?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--

 Ron Parker
 TradePort LA / Tradewinds / SCBBS

 www.intl-trade.com
 www.tradepointla.org
 www.scbbs.com

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

Quote:

>I have a program compiled using MF Cobol 3.2.  Compiled under DOS, it
>printed fine.  The same for Windows 3.1.  However, under Windows 95,
>it's not printing.  I'm not doing anything fancy, just opening a file,
>moving the line to the print buffer, and printing it.  Is there
>something I need to do in Windows 95 first?
>Any suggestions?

Ron, there are three ways at least to deal with this problem.  First, you could
buy a package that did Windows/95 printing directly.  Second, if your program is
running under the simulation of MS/DOS, name your print file prn:.  That should
take you out to the default printer, usually the parallel port.

The last, and most flexible is to do your own spooling.  Send the output to a
file, or set of files.  Develop a WORD 6.0 (or any wordprocessor that does
macros) macro that reads the spool, formats the output, and prints the report
using the W/95 spooler.  You can get very fancy this way.  I do bar codes in
this manner.

If you need more information, send me e-mail and I will help if I can.

Bob

.
Robert Schuldenfrei
S. I. Inc.
32 Ridley Road
Dedham, MA  02026
Voice: (617) 329-4828
FAX:   (617) 329-1696

WWW:    http://www.tiac.net/users/tangaroa/index.html

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

run your program in MSDOS mode and make sure the printer is not a Windows only
 printer.

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

Quote:
>I have a program compiled using MF Cobol 3.2.  Compiled under DOS, it
>printed fine.  The same for Windows 3.1.  However, under Windows 95,
>it's not printing.  I'm not doing anything fancy, just opening a file,
>moving the line to the print buffer, and printing it.  Is there
>something I need to do in Windows 95 first?

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks.

>--

> Ron Parker
> TradePort LA / Tradewinds / SCBBS

> www.intl-trade.com
> www.tradepointla.org
> www.scbbs.com

Put +P in COBSW
and say to WIN95 that the printer can print DOS requests
if you have any question try to read the COBSW Swtich Option
Bye

Mon, 03 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

Thanks for the advice.  We were able to get the program to print on the Win95
machine it was loaded on.  Now, we wish to network the application and print from
remote printers.  A remote win95 workstation can access the application, but when it
attempts to print, te program crashes with a 114 error.   The same program prints
fine on the local machine.  Any suggestions for this?

Thanks a lot.

-ron

Quote:

> >I have a program compiled using MF Cobol 3.2.  Compiled under DOS, it
> >printed fine.  The same for Windows 3.1.  However, under Windows 95,
> >it's not printing.  I'm not doing anything fancy, just opening a file,
> >moving the line to the print buffer, and printing it.  Is there
> >something I need to do in Windows 95 first?

> >Any suggestions?

> Ron, there are three ways at least to deal with this problem.  First, you could
> buy a package that did Windows/95 printing directly.  Second, if your program is
> running under the simulation of MS/DOS, name your print file prn:.  That should
> take you out to the default printer, usually the parallel port.

> The last, and most flexible is to do your own spooling.  Send the output to a
> file, or set of files.  Develop a WORD 6.0 (or any wordprocessor that does
> macros) macro that reads the spool, formats the output, and prints the report
> using the W/95 spooler.  You can get very fancy this way.  I do bar codes in
> this manner.

> If you need more information, send me e-mail and I will help if I can.

> Bob

> .
> Robert Schuldenfrei
> S. I. Inc.
> 32 Ridley Road
> Dedham, MA  02026
> Voice: (617) 329-4828
> FAX:   (617) 329-1696

> WWW:    http://www.tiac.net/users/tangaroa/index.html

--

 Ron Parker
 TradePoint LA/TradeWinds/SCBBS

 www.intl-trade.com
 www.tradepointla.org
 www.scbbs.com

Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

RP> I have a program compiled using MF Cobol 3.2.  Compiled under DOS, it
RP> printed fine.  The same for Windows 3.1.  However, under Windows 95,
RP> it's not printing.  I'm not doing anything fancy, just opening a file,
RP> moving the line to the print buffer, and printing it.  Is there
RP> something I need to do in Windows 95 first?

You did not forget to close the printer, did you?

regards

Sun, 09 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Cobol Printing - Win95

Quote:
> I have a program compiled using MF Cobol 3.2.  Compiled under DOS, it
> printed fine.  The same for Windows 3.1.  However, under Windows 95,
> it's not printing.  I'm not doing anything fancy, just opening a file,
> moving the line to the print buffer, and printing it.  Is there
> something I need to do in Windows 95 first?
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

Due to the way that Windows 95 works, any lines that are sent to the
printer will not be printed until the Print file is closed. As the file
has to be released to the Printer Manager so that it can be printed.

Had a similar problem a program that printed line-ups before the main
print worked fine under Unix & Windows 3.1, but did not print anything
until the program finished and closed the print file.

The program had to be changed so that the print file was opened, a line-up
printed and the print file closed. The line-up would then be printed. The
print file is then re-opened and the main print out sent to the printer
and the print file closed at the end, so that the file was printed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy.

  _     _   _ |           /                                              /

 \_/\_|  |/\_/|/ \_/|   /   www.argonet.co.uk/users/andyf/             /
                  __/  /______________________________________________/

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing to lpt2, lpt3, etc using Mf Cobol on win95/98

2. Win95 bug with MF Cobol XM on Dell PC

3. win95 and MF-Cobol (dos)

4. MF Cobol in WIN95

5. Win95 and a MF Cobol DLL

6. Static linking error MF Cobol WIN95 API calls

7. Printing with MF Cobol and Windows 95

8. MF Personal COBOL - Printing using Windows 95

9. Virtual Print Engine with MF Cobol

10. Virtual Print Engine and MF Cobol

11. Printing in MF COBOL

12. Printing run reports with MF Cobol