Cobol to Java
Author Message
 Cobol to Java

Has anyone used/reviewed the latest crop of  "java for cobol programmers"
manuals?  If so which one would you recommend?

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:54:07 GMT
 Cobol to Java
I'm currently wading thru a couple of books on Java 2, but they're
oriented toward Cpp programmers.  Can't say I've seen any oriented for
Cobol types, but if you could point them out I for one might be
interested.

Thanks PF for bringing up the topic.  Wish there were more replies in
the thread.

Quote:

> Has anyone used/reviewed the latest crop of  "java for cobol programmers"
> manuals?  If so which one would you recommend?

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:30:22 GMT
 Cobol to Java
"JAVA for COBOL programmers" - I used this, and it's OK, as far as it goes.
But it's really only an introduction. After that, I used a number of
different
books including exam cram, before passing my Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
in July. Now I'm reading Sybex's "Complete Java 2 Certification Study
Guide",
to really understand it.

NOTE: Sybex covers Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer AND Developer.
No idea what to study for Brainbench though.

NOTE: I really need to get a job soon, 'cos this retraining is getting
pricey - just
for books!

Quote:
> I'm currently wading thru a couple of books on Java 2, but they're
> oriented toward Cpp programmers.  Can't say I've seen any oriented for
> Cobol types, but if you could point them out I for one might be
> interested.

> Thanks PF for bringing up the topic.  Wish there were more replies in
> the thread.

> > Has anyone used/reviewed the latest crop of  "java for cobol
programmers"
> > manuals?  If so which one would you recommend?

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:32:46 GMT
 Cobol to Java

Quote:

> "JAVA for COBOL programmers" - I used this, and it's OK, as far as it goes.
> But it's really only an introduction. After that, I used a number of
> different
> books including exam cram, before passing my Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
> in July. Now I'm reading Sybex's "Complete Java 2 Certification Study
> Guide",
> to really understand it.

> NOTE: Sybex covers Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer AND Developer.
> No idea what to study for Brainbench though.

> NOTE: I really need to get a job soon, 'cos this retraining is getting
> pricey - just
> for books!

Rob,

Rufio has already mentioned one of the two books I have.

1. Java for COBOL Programmers - John C. Byrne ISBN 1-886801-84-3, Charles River

2. Java for the COBOL Programmer - E. Reed Doke & Bill. C. Hardgrave- ISBN
0-521-05892-6 - Cambridge University Press - either www.cup.cam.ac.uk or
www.cup.org. (This is printed in the US)

Both should be available in the States through N. American on-line booksellers.
I think I'd been inclined to agree with Rufio that #1 is a primer. Same goes for
#2,  I would suggest. The #2 book, the authors also wrote an introductory OO
COBOL - I read it in an evening. No big deal and told me nothing I hadn't
already picked up from Ed Arranga (cobolreport.com) - even though he does the
Foreword to their Java book <G>.

Probably best to bite the bullet and get the following two volumes, published by
Sun :-
Cay S. Horstman & Gary Cornell
Core Java 2 - Vol 1 - Fundamentals
Core Java 2 - Vol 2 - Advanced Features ( gets into Swing for GUIs and
                    collections).

I got the above through one of those paperback deals. Buy a book and they pester
you each month to buy more ! ISBN 0-13-081933-6 and 0-13-081934-4 - Prentice

As an afterthought, you could always write a polite message to Bill Gates,
asking, "Should I be learning Java ?" <G>

Jimmy, Calgary AB

> > I'm currently wading thru a couple of books on Java 2, but they're
> > oriented toward Cpp programmers.  Can't say I've seen any oriented for
> > Cobol types, but if you could point them out I for one might be
> > interested.

> > Thanks PF for bringing up the topic.  Wish there were more replies in
> > the thread.

> > > Has anyone used/reviewed the latest crop of  "java for cobol
> programmers"
> > > manuals?  If so which one would you recommend?

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:13:30 GMT
 Cobol to Java
Mike Murach Inc. has a new book out on Java 2.  I have ordered it but have
not yet received it so I cannot recommend it based on direct experience. I
have purchased many of their books and based on that I expect it to be high
quallity. Different folks like different approaches so YMMV.

Quote:

> > "JAVA for COBOL programmers" - I used this, and it's OK, as far as it
goes.
> > But it's really only an introduction. After that, I used a number of
> > different
> > books including exam cram, before passing my Sun Certified Java 2
Programmer
> > in July. Now I'm reading Sybex's "Complete Java 2 Certification Study
> > Guide",
> > to really understand it.

> > NOTE: Sybex covers Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer AND Developer.
> > No idea what to study for Brainbench though.

> > NOTE: I really need to get a job soon, 'cos this retraining is getting
> > pricey - just
> > for books!

> Rob,

> Rufio has already mentioned one of the two books I have.

> 1. Java for COBOL Programmers - John C. Byrne ISBN 1-886801-84-3, Charles
River

> 2. Java for the COBOL Programmer - E. Reed Doke & Bill. C. Hardgrave-
ISBN
> 0-521-05892-6 - Cambridge University Press - either www.cup.cam.ac.uk or
> www.cup.org. (This is printed in the US)

> Both should be available in the States through N. American on-line
booksellers.
> I think I'd been inclined to agree with Rufio that #1 is a primer. Same
goes for
> #2,  I would suggest. The #2 book, the authors also wrote an introductory
OO
> COBOL - I read it in an evening. No big deal and told me nothing I hadn't
> already picked up from Ed Arranga (cobolreport.com) - even though he does
the
> Foreword to their Java book <G>.

> Probably best to bite the bullet and get the following two volumes,
published by
> Sun :-
> Cay S. Horstman & Gary Cornell
> Core Java 2 - Vol 1 - Fundamentals
> Core Java 2 - Vol 2 - Advanced Features ( gets into Swing for GUIs and
>                     collections).

> I got the above through one of those paperback deals. Buy a book and they
pester
> you each month to buy more ! ISBN 0-13-081933-6 and 0-13-081934-4 -
Prentice

> As an afterthought, you could always write a polite message to Bill
Gates,
> asking, "Should I be learning Java ?" <G>

> Jimmy, Calgary AB

> > > I'm currently wading thru a couple of books on Java 2, but they're
> > > oriented toward Cpp programmers.  Can't say I've seen any oriented
for
> > > Cobol types, but if you could point them out I for one might be
> > > interested.

> > > Thanks PF for bringing up the topic.  Wish there were more replies in
> > > the thread.

> > programmers"

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:01:11 GMT
 Cobol to Java
I was in a similar situation. I did COBOL for about 5 years until about a year
ago when I transitioned to Java. I also passed the programmer certification
last November. The books I used were the two certification books mentioned in
an earlier post Exam Cram and the Java2 Certificatoion Guide. I still refer to
both of them at work. To get the basics down, I used Beginning Java2 by Ivor
horton and Thinking in Java. If you can go through these two books, you will
have excellent foundation.

If you wil be doing server side programming...that's what I am doing. The
following books are good. Core servlets and JSP, by Marty Hall. and Java
servlet programming by Jason Hunter.

Good luck!

Bosun

Programmer/Analyst. Chicago, IL

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:29 GMT
 Cobol to Java
Has anyone tried Professional Java Programming" by Brett Spell?
Class Design, Threads, Event Handling, Layout Managers, Swing Components,
JDBC, XML, Security, JavaHelp, JNI, Performance & Distributed Objects.

Looks like a good book. But because it covers so much ground, it's still
sitting on
my bookshelf, and I've got individual books to cover each topic. But at
$59.99
that's too much to waste!

Quote:
> I was in a similar situation. I did COBOL for about 5 years until about a
year
> ago when I transitioned to Java. I also passed the programmer
certification
> last November. The books I used were the two certification books mentioned
in
> an earlier post Exam Cram and the Java2 Certificatoion Guide. I still
refer to
> both of them at work. To get the basics down, I used Beginning Java2 by
Ivor
> horton and Thinking in Java. If you can go through these two books, you
will
> have excellent foundation.

> If you wil be doing server side programming...that's what I am doing. The
> following books are good. Core servlets and JSP, by Marty Hall. and Java
> servlet programming by Jason Hunter.

> Good luck!

> Bosun

> Programmer/Analyst. Chicago, IL

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:50:09 GMT
 Cobol to Java

Quote:

> Has anyone tried Professional Java Programming" by Brett Spell?
> Class Design, Threads, Event Handling, Layout Managers, Swing Components,
> JDBC, XML, Security, JavaHelp, JNI, Performance & Distributed Objects.

> Looks like a good book. But because it covers so much ground, it's still
> sitting on
> my bookshelf, and I've got individual books to cover each topic. But at
> $59.99
> that's too much to waste!

I own it and have found it to be very readable, but I don't think it's
meant to be read from cover-to-cover. However, it has turned out to be
a very useful reference when I've needed information about one of the
topics it covers.

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:33:55 GMT

1. Calling cobol from Java ( EJB ) with NetRexx on VM/ESA

2. COBOL and Java

3. Release of COBOL to Java Code Translator

4. Cobol and Java

5. Cobol to Java migration

6. COBOL calling JAVA classes

7. Book on programming: Cobol to Java