file structure
Author Message
 file structure

I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

Thanks in advance !

Philip

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:55:25 GMT
 file structure
Hi Philip,

Make a CSV file (commas seperated value file)
After each field, you add a semi colom.
Excel kan easily import such a file.

greets
Bassman

Quote:
> I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
> Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

> Thanks in advance !

> Philip

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:01:02 GMT
 file structure

Yes, that's how I do it normaly,
but i have a customer who wants to have a .xls file directly.

Thank you

Quote:
> Hi Philip,

> Make a CSV file (commas seperated value file)
> After each field, you add a semi colom.
> Excel kan easily import such a file.

> greets
> Bassman

> > I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
> > Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

> > Thanks in advance !

> > Philip

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:46:14 GMT
 file structure

enlightened us:

Quote:

>Yes, that's how I do it normaly,
>but i have a customer who wants to have a .xls file directly.

>Thank you

Only MS can tell you the true structure of an XLS file and I doubt
they would.  You might try asking them though because other companies
can create spreadsheets in MS-EXCEL format.  But here's the danger.
The format can and does change from one version to another.  The CSV
format is constant and doesn't change.

Quote:

>> Hi Philip,

>> Make a CSV file (commas seperated value file)
>> After each field, you add a semi colom.
>> Excel kan easily import such a file.

>> greets
>> Bassman

>> > I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
>> > Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

>> > Thanks in advance !

>> > Philip

Regards,

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't
more people happy?

It is still not too late to prevent drilling in
the Artic Refuge.  Please visit
http://www.SaveArcticRefuge.org
to take action.

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:41:31 GMT
 file structure
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 07:55:25 +0200, "Philip Foncke"

Quote:

>I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
>Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

>Thanks in advance !

>Philip

Hello Philip

Go to the following URL: http://www.myfileformats.com/

How did I find this site?
In Google, I entered the search argument "xls file format"
This site is number 6 on the list

Robaire

P.S.

A copy of the site's About page  follows :

About MyFileFormats.com
Welcome to My File Formats -  The Programmer's File Format Collection!

This site contains file format information on hundreds of different
file types and other useful programming information including
algorithms, source code, specifications, etc.

If you have any useful programming documents or information, please,
submit it, so that other programmers can use it.

Your questions or suggestions are also welcome at

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:39:02 GMT
 file structure
On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:39:02 -0400, Robaire

Quote:

>On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 07:55:25 +0200, "Philip Foncke"

>>I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
>>Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

>>Thanks in advance !

>>Philip

>Hello Philip

>Go to the following URL: http://www.myfileformats.com/

I forgot to mention : Once on the site, enter XLS in the search engine
to directly find the XLS file format description as a zipped text
file.
Quote:
>How did I find this site?
>In Google, I entered the search argument "xls file format"
>This site is number 6 on the list

>Robaire

>P.S.

>A copy of the site's About page  follows :

>About MyFileFormats.com
>Welcome to My File Formats -  The Programmer's File Format Collection!

>This site contains file format information on hundreds of different
>file types and other useful programming information including
>algorithms, source code, specifications, etc.

>If you have any useful programming documents or information, please,
>submit it, so that other programmers can use it.

>Your questions or suggestions are also welcome at

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:42:33 GMT
 file structure

Quote:

> I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
> Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

I went to yahoo.com, entered a search for: file formats xls.  The second
site in the results
has downloadable files for dozens of formats, including .xls.

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:09:34 GMT
 file structure

Quote:

>I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
>Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

Rather than trying to 'create' .xls formatting logic in COBOL,
why not use some of the OO syntax to call Excel, create a
workbook, and load the sheets directly.
I have not done this myself, but should be able to find some VB
reference on how to accomplish the same thing.   You should be
able to interpolate the equivalent COBOL syntax.

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:28:11 GMT
 file structure
The solution is not to physically create the file format with COBOL.

What happens if a new release of Excel comes out and they change the format
(even slightly)?What if the Web sites which currently post the format are a
bit slow in getting the amended format up for publication?

Here are some alternative possibilities:

1. Produce the CSV file as you do now then simply import it to Excel and get
the XLS. Your customer need never even be aware that you called Excel before
giving him the XLS file. (You could do this using a shell invoke from the
Win API, or any of the other API calls that allow windows applications to
start each other. I don't recommend it but it is workable.)

2. Use OO COBOL to invoke EXCEL using OLE, as was mentioned by sff5ky. This
is by far the best solution and it "immunises" you against changes in
releases of Excel.

What version of COBOL are using? If you need help to do this, mail me
privately. (I don't charge for giving help <G>)

3. Alternatively, I can write you a component that takes your COBOL output
and creates an XLS file. This would be an ActiveX component and would be COM
compliant. You could access its methods and properties from COBOL and use it
in any of your applications as often as you like. It would also produce
different spreadsheets from different CSV files. (However, it would not be
free....<G>)

I would strongly advise you NOT to create the XLS file from COBOL, using a
structure that you found on the Internet...

Pete.

Quote:
> I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
> Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

> Thanks in advance !

> Philip

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:08:01 GMT
 file structure

Quote:

> The solution is not to physically create the file format with COBOL.

> What happens if a new release of Excel comes out and they change the format
> (even slightly)?What if the Web sites which currently post the format are a
> bit slow in getting the amended format up for publication?

This is more of a problem if you want to READ the XLS file. New versions of Excel will
read the formats designed for older versions with no problem.  Nevertheless, it's a
"non-trivial task" and I support Peter's alternatives.

--
Ed Guy P.Eng,CDP,MIEE
Information Technology Consultant

http://www.guysoftware.com
"Check out HELLLP!, WinHelp author tool for WinWord 2.0 through 2000,
 PlanBee Project Management Planning and Scheduling
 and ParseRat, the File Parser, Converter and Reorganizer"

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:55:08 GMT
 file structure
I believe that EXCEL can be accesses using ODBC.  Part of this is
guess.  When using a copy of Net Express a year or so ago, I remember
seeing the option to connect to an EXCEL file - though we chose Access and
I did not use EXCEL.

Floyd Johnson

: I want to create a xls-file directly from a cobol program.
: Where can i find the information of the file structure of a xls-file ?

: Thanks in advance !

: Philip

|                      Floyd H. Johnson                     |
+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Voice  : (716) 594 - 0942   | 87 Parkway Drive            |

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
|                 http://bounce.to/Roberts                  |
| If you think you understand Him,                          |
|               then you really do not know HIM !!          |

Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:36:23 GMT

1. Variable File Structure/File Overrides

2. DFDSS Backup File Structure

3. Declaring Btrieve file structure with OVER'ed key fields

4. HELP needed with FILE Structure ...

5. Updating dBase file structures

6. Help-File structure without dictionary

7. Btrieve files structure

8. Btrieve files structure

9. Adding Sort Key to File Structure in C5

10. Clipboard does not contain a valid File Structure

11. Import unknown file structures

12. How to build a dynamic file structure?