Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4
Author Message
 Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4

Hello all,

I am a Unisys mainframe COBOL programmer.  We just got in MicroFocus
COBOL 3.4.  I am writing an application that will allow the user to
enter information on their PC for purchasing products from my company.
It will edit for required information etc.  The data will be stored in
files on the PC until they are ready to transmit the data to us (read:
offline batch processing on the PC).  When they are ready to transmit,
I need to communicate with the modem, dial our host, transmit the
data.  The communication side is asynchronous serial communications
via the modem.

Here's the question:  Is there a third party communications library
for MF Cobol that will handle the modem setup/configuration like
PDQComm for Visual Basic?  Can I use PDQComm with MF Cobol?  I'm told
MF Cobol can communicate with DLL's but I have no prior experience
with MF Cobol.  Or does anyone have a better idea for communicating
with the modem?  Any coding examples?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Blaze
Merchants Association of Florida, Inc.

** Please remove the 'x' in front of my e-mail address before replying
** Anti-spam protection!

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4

Quote:

> Hello all,

<snip>

> Here's the question:  Is there a third party communications library
> for MF Cobol that will handle the modem setup/configuration like
> PDQComm for Visual Basic?  Can I use PDQComm with MF Cobol?  I'm told
> MF Cobol can communicate with DLL's but I have no prior experience
> with MF Cobol.  Or does anyone have a better idea for communicating
> with the modem?  Any coding examples?

> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Doug Blaze
> Merchants Association of Florida, Inc.

16-bit applications?  Yuck!  If you're developing for Win NT or Win '95
you should consider upgrading to MF COBOL 4.x.

The Microsoft Win32 API has much to offer including the TAPI interface
for dealing with modems.  There's probably middleware to simplify the
API but it's usually easier to figure out the MS API then it is to
figure out the licensing and distribution agreements for the middleware
product.

Does the PDQComm library ship as a DLL?  If so, then you can probably
get at the API from COBOL with a bit of experimentation.  If it's an OCX
or VBX library then it's probably going to get real messy.  You should
be dealing with the suppliers of PDQComm to confirm that licensing is in
order.

There are a number of articles, white papers, etc. at
http://www.microfocus.com on mixed language programming, as well as the
COBOL User's Guide which ships with the MF WorkBench.

Karl Wagner

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4

you may want to try carl and garys vb page, you can call a dll from MF
especially with NET EXPRESS , also MF obejct cobol package has some good
examples

Quote:
>Hello all,

>I am a Unisys mainframe COBOL programmer.  We just got in MicroFocus
>COBOL 3.4.  I am writing an application that will allow the user to
>enter information on their PC for purchasing products from my company.
>It will edit for required information etc.  The data will be stored in
>files on the PC until they are ready to transmit the data to us (read:
>offline batch processing on the PC).  When they are ready to transmit,
>I need to communicate with the modem, dial our host, transmit the
>data.  The communication side is asynchronous serial communications
>via the modem.

>Here's the question:  Is there a third party communications library
>for MF Cobol that will handle the modem setup/configuration like
>PDQComm for Visual Basic?  Can I use PDQComm with MF Cobol?  I'm told
>MF Cobol can communicate with DLL's but I have no prior experience
>with MF Cobol.  Or does anyone have a better idea for communicating
>with the modem?  Any coding examples?

>Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Doug Blaze
>Merchants Association of Florida, Inc.

>** Please remove the 'x' in front of my e-mail address before replying
>** Anti-spam protection!

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4

There is FileXpress-XST,
from Attachmate Corporation and Stahura-Brenner Group.

--
Ross

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/7185/

Quote:
> you may want to try carl and garys vb page, you can call a dll from MF
> especially with NET EXPRESS , also MF obejct cobol package has some good
> examples

> >Hello all,

> >I am a Unisys mainframe COBOL programmer.  We just got in MicroFocus
> >COBOL 3.4.  I am writing an application that will allow the user to
> >enter information on their PC for purchasing products from my company.
> >It will edit for required information etc.  The data will be stored in
> >files on the PC until they are ready to transmit the data to us (read:
> >offline batch processing on the PC).  When they are ready to transmit,
> >I need to communicate with the modem, dial our host, transmit the
> >data.  The communication side is asynchronous serial communications
> >via the modem.

> >Here's the question:  Is there a third party communications library
> >for MF Cobol that will handle the modem setup/configuration like
> >PDQComm for Visual Basic?  Can I use PDQComm with MF Cobol?  I'm told
> >MF Cobol can communicate with DLL's but I have no prior experience
> >with MF Cobol.  Or does anyone have a better idea for communicating
> >with the modem?  Any coding examples?

> >Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> >Thanks,

> >Doug Blaze
> >Merchants Association of Florida, Inc.

> >** Please remove the 'x' in front of my e-mail address before replying
> >** Anti-spam protection!

Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4

Quote:
> Here's the question:  Is there a third party communications library
> for MF Cobol that will handle the modem setup/configuration like
> PDQComm for Visual Basic?  Can I use PDQComm with MF Cobol?  I'm told
> MF Cobol can communicate with DLL's but I have no prior experience
> with MF Cobol.  Or does anyone have a better idea for communicating
> with the modem?  Any coding examples?

> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Doug Blaze
> Merchants Association of Florida, Inc.

Doug,

Having just fought part of that battle using 3.4 I can fill you in on a
couple of things that might help.

1)  V3.4 has a bug in it when it generates DLL's as the WEP (Windows
Exit Procedure) seems to be missing.  For 16 bit, you need to drop back
to 3.2.50.  This bug has been fixed in v4.x.

2)  I would advise you to "front-end" your application with a VB program
and call the MF Cobol program as a DLL.  This will give you better
access to the API (Via VB) and better connectivity to other utilities.

3)  If you wish to create a MFC .DLL, you will need to statically link
the MFC program along with the static runtime system (LCOBOLW).

4)  Don't rely on the DEF file created by the compiler as it needs to be
updated to include any other DLL and functions within those DLLs.

Hope this helps...

Later Gator..  Randy  Van de Loo

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. MswLogo 3.4 is ready to Teach (Free software doesn't get much better)

2. MicroFocus calls to third party DLL's

3. accessing windows DLL's from RealBasic

4. ObjRexx under W95: How access .DLL's

5. Access to COMMON from C DLL's in MP4/CL

6. J 3.4

7. Squeak 3.4 CD

8. Squeak 3.4 released

9. Annoucement - Bistro 3.4 Available

10. Mops/PowerMops 3.4 Supports AltiVec

11. Looking for LV drivers for 3.4 MHz I2C controllers

12. Source kit for MswLogo 3.4 is a bad .zip file