IBM VisualAge for Cobol
Author Message
 IBM VisualAge for Cobol

Does anyone have any experience with IBM VA Cobol? Our environment is
os/390, with lots of CICS, VSAM, moving to CICS/DB2. We've got Win NT for
possible development machines, and thinking about IBM VA Cobol, but we're
not sure about supporting BMS. Anyone with experience in this area,I'd like
to hear from you. We get very little info from IBM.      Thanks in advance.
       Stan
--

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM VisualAge for Cobol

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with IBM VA Cobol? Our environment is
>os/390, with lots of CICS, VSAM, moving to CICS/DB2. We've got Win NT for
>possible development machines, and thinking about IBM VA Cobol, but we're
>not sure about supporting BMS. Anyone with experience in this area,I'd like
>to hear from you. We get very little info from IBM.      Thanks in advance.
>       Stan
>--

If you get IBM's CICS for WindowsNT, then you shouldn't have any problems
with BMS.  (As I recall, it only supports "basic" BMS, but you should check
the documentation on that - my knowledge is quite out-of-date.)

The only real problems that you will have with going with IBM's VisualAge
for COBOL are:

1) If you have any "old" COBOL (OS/VS COBOL or newer COBOL using the CMPR2
compiler option), then this won't work with VA COBOL.

2) If you have any interlanguage calls (Assembler subroutines - or
interactions with PL/I or fortran), this may not work - check with IBM on
their latest statements on this.

3) do you have any batch VSAM applications that check for 9x file status
codes - or file-status-2 (the 6-byte one). In which case the values will be
different on the Workstation.

Note: Setting up the product to work as an "offloading development"
environment takes some "tweaking" and is certainly DIFFERENT than setting it
up for production Workstation applications, but it can be done. Again, check
the documentation.

Note2: If any of the issues listed above are "show stoppers" for your shop,
then you can check on other Workstation vendors with solutions to them. But
without the exact IBM compile-time error messages.

--
+ +
+   Bill Klein -

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM VISUALAGE FOR COBOL V3.0.6 10 193

2. IBM VisualAge for Cobol V2.2

3. IBM VisualAge for COBOL Std. V2.0

4. Looking for IBM VisualAge Java/IBM VisualAge Smalltalk teachers

5. Are there users of IBM Visualage for COBOL v2,0 Visual Builder here?

6. Repost: Are there users of IBM Visualage for COBOL v2,0 Visual Builder here?

7. Compiling CICS / DB2 programs on IBM VisualAGE COBOL v2.2

8. IBM VisualAge Cobol in Windows 2000.

9. IBM VisualAge Cobol V2.2 - Utility for ISAM?

10. IBM VisualAge COBOL v 2.0 on NT Questions

11. IBM Visualage COBOL

12. IBM VisualAge COBOL