Help with Microfocus personal cobol and Microfocus Level II cobol
Author Message
 Help with Microfocus personal cobol and Microfocus Level II cobol

Help:-

I am currently having a problem with microfocus personal cobol and
wonder if anyone can through any light on it.

I have a client who is running a number of cobol program compiled
under Microfocus level II cobol on a machine using real 32 as an
operating system ( A version of Concurrent cp/m I believe). I have
taken a copy of a number of files and restored them  onto my own
machine running windows NT. I have then written a program to read the
data part of the file (It was an indexed file) as a relative file and
write it out as an indexed file.

The process works well on most file but I occasionally get a run time
error 018 Read part record error : eof before eor or file open in
wrong mode. this normally seems to coincide with the true end of file
and has not been a problem. I now however have one file that this
appears to happen midway through and is giving major problems. I have
checkd my conversion program and the record lengths are correct as
arey those used in the program on his machine which  creates the data
file.

Any ideas ?

Regards

John

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Microfocus personal cobol and Microfocus Level II cobol
Yes.  It is cause by a blocking factor on the disk that is not an exact
multiple of the record size. The Isam leaves a space, and synchronizes on
the next physical block with the next record.  I have not seen that since
MPM/86 on an Altos, circa late 70's, but I can sortof remember encountering
it during a recovery.

You are probably going to have to explore the file with a binary editor, but
I think the end of file will have a control Z.  The mid-point problem was
solved, if I remember rightly, by the fact it always happened at fixed
intervals.  You can probably tell if this is the case by file size. It
should only happen if the file exceeds a certain fixed cluster size that is
a power of two.

Quote:
>Help:-

>I am currently having a problem with microfocus personal cobol and
>wonder if anyone can through any light on it.

>I have a client who is running a number of cobol program compiled
>under Microfocus level II cobol on a machine using real 32 as an
>operating system ( A version of Concurrent cp/m I believe). I have
>taken a copy of a number of files and restored them  onto my own
>machine running windows NT. I have then written a program to read the
>data part of the file (It was an indexed file) as a relative file and
>write it out as an indexed file.

>The process works well on most file but I occasionally get a run time
>error 018 Read part record error : eof before eor or file open in
>wrong mode. this normally seems to coincide with the true end of file
>and has not been a problem. I now however have one file that this
>appears to happen midway through and is giving major problems. I have
>checkd my conversion program and the record lengths are correct as
>arey those used in the program on his machine which  creates the data
>file.

>Any ideas ?

>Regards

>John

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. help tiny-cobol compatablities with Microfocus personal Cobol

2. MicroFocus COBOL vs. Mainframe COBOL II

3. *****US-CHICAGO Microfocus COBOL, XBDB, DB2, COBOL II (RECRUITER)

4. Will MicroFocus Personal COBOL do this?

5. Microfocus Personal Cobol Question

6. Creating Sample Data for COBOL Program Using Personal Microfocus

7. Microfocus PERSONAL COBOL

8. Queries re MicroFocus Personal COBOL for Windows 3.1/Windows 95

9. Needed: MicroFocus "Personal Cobol for windows"

10. CA Realia II VS MicroFocus COBOL?

11. Microfocus Level 2 Cobol, y2k problems :-(

12. Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX