COBOL syntax highlighting in the VIM editor
Author Message
 COBOL syntax highlighting in the VIM editor

If you work on COBOL programs on Unix machines, or non-Unix
machines such as VMS or NT, and do *not* use any workbench or IDE,
you may be interested in this.  Otherwise please ignore this post.

VIM is "VI Improved", an editor that is freely available with
source code.  It has a huge user base, and is probably one of the
best souped-up VI clones out there.  See http://www.*-*-*.com/ for
more details.

VIM version 5 supports "syntax highlighting" using a simple
specification language.  VIM comes with syntax files for upwards
of 70 languages, including (now) COBOL.

What this syntax highlighting does is (as you may guess) color
different elements differently.  I have even found a bug based on
the fact that some parts of the code had a different color than I
expected.  Regardless of that, I find it sure helps my eyes when
looking at source code to have, for instance, the comments in a
different color.

VIM includes the latest COBOL syntax file.

If I make major changes to the COBOL syntax file that haven't
(yet) made it into the VIM distribution, you will find it at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~sitaram/cobol .

If you use it, and have suggestions, please drop me a line.  Even
if you have nothing to say, I'd appreciate a note - I'm totally in
the dark about how many people this might help, (if any) and would
sure like to get an idea.  (I sometimes feel like Tom and Ray -
the "car-talk" guys - who are wont to say things like "we dont
want to scare off our listeners - all 4 of them"!  They're joking,
I'm not :-)

Enjoy.

Sitaram.

PS: If you need help installing VIM on your machine, if it's not
HP-UX, AIX, or Linux, please ask in comp.editors or join the VIM
mailing list.  Details in http://www.*-*-*.com/ of course.  For
HP-UX, AIX, and Linux, feel free to email me if you want to - I'm
not an authority on these systems, but I have successfully
installed on all three, and I'll try my best to help.

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Haskell syntax highlighting for VIM

2. syntax highlighting problem in vim

3. SciTE/VIM Syntax highlighting

4. Small patch for ruby,vim syntax highlighting file

5. RHTML syntax highlighting with VIM

6. Ref.: Re: Syntax highlighting for vim?

7. Syntax highlighting for vim?

8. vim syntax highlighting

9. NetRexx Syntax Highlighting for LXPM (Context sensitive editor with VAC++ and VACobol)

10. Kate editor in KDE2 -- Ruby syntax highlighting

11. Syntax Highlighting with a text editor

12. syntax.vim for cobol (Micro Focus)