IBM MVS/TSO or OS/390 dynamic allocation of dataset name
Author Message
 IBM MVS/TSO or OS/390 dynamic allocation of dataset name

Is there any chance that your program will run (or can run) with ISPF
services (remembering that ISPF can be invoked and run in batch)?

It sounds to me like a bunch of what you want to do would be a "piece of
cake" using ISPF "library services".

Quote:

>I'd like to find out if there is a way to dynamically allocate/change the
>dataset name referenced in a JCL DDname.  My objective is to have a single
FD
>in the COBOL program to reference either a LOADLIB or PRINT PDS for input
>allow browsing of a user specified member for KEY strings to be extracted
and
>placed in an output report file.

>I've seen a couple of different posts on this basic thread.  The sample
>altering DDnames works get, but is not a fit for the specific project that
>have in mind.  There was another sample that had inline Assembler code
(doesn't
>work well with the environment COBOL for MVS).  The assembler sample would
have
>been ideal (if I knew how the dataset is being allocated) assuming that the
>dynamic allocation allows for DISP=SHR or DISP=OLD .

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM MVS/TSO or OS/390 dynamic allocation of dataset name

I'd like to find out if there is a way to dynamically allocate/change the
dataset name referenced in a JCL DDname.  My objective is to have a single FD
in the COBOL program to reference either a LOADLIB or PRINT PDS for input to
allow browsing of a user specified member for KEY strings to be extracted and
placed in an output report file.

I've seen a couple of different posts on this basic thread.  The sample
altering DDnames works get, but is not a fit for the specific project that I
have in mind.  There was another sample that had inline Assembler code (doesn't
work well with the environment COBOL for MVS).  The assembler sample would have
been ideal (if I knew how the dataset is being allocated) assuming that the
dynamic allocation allows for DISP=SHR or DISP=OLD .

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM MVS/TSO or OS/390 dynamic allocation of dataset name

Quote:

>Is there any chance that your program will run (or can run) with ISPF
>services (remembering that ISPF can be invoked and run in batch)?

>It sounds to me like a bunch of what you want to do would be a "piece of
>cake" using ISPF "library services".

If ISPF services would provide the access I need, I'd be more than happy to
explore whatever manuals might be able to shed light on how to accomplish such
services.  Having been in this environment for only two years with limited
resources available, I am at a loss as to where to look.  (I am unfortunately
the senior COBOL development resource at my shop.)

Thanks

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

2. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

3. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

4. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

5. CobAnal for MVS, OS/390 and z/OS New version

6. IBM announces new release of z/OS (OS/390) compiler

7. Python for IBM OS/400 OS/390

8. TSO-Cmds OpenEdition OS/390

9. PL/1 on MVS IBM S/390

10. OS/390 release test periods Re: default variable initialization under os/390 v2r8

11. COBOL for OS/390 Side File allocation/DDname

12. Cobol OS/390 to C OS/390 V2R6