Converting lowercase to uppercase and arrow keys
Author Message
 Converting lowercase to uppercase and arrow keys

How can I convert a input which is lowercase automatically to uppercase ?

How can I use arrow keys in COBOL

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting lowercase to uppercase and arrow keys

Quote:
>How can I convert a input which is lowercase automatically to uppercase ?

Try looking up the INSPECT verb in your manual.  There is an
INSPECT x CONVERTING option in most Cobols.

Quote:
>How can I use arrow keys in COBOL

You push down on them and the little cursor thingy on the screen
moves from field to field.

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting lowercase to uppercase and arrow keys

Quote:
>How can I convert a input which is lowercase automatically to uppercase ?

>How can I use arrow keys in COBOL

If your compiler supports the intrinsic function say:
  MOVE FUNCTION UPPER-CASE(data-name) TO data-name
otherwise say:
  INSPECT data-name CONVERTING 'abcd...yz' to 'ABCD...YZ'

I don't understand the second question.

Wed, 25 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting lowercase to uppercase and arrow keys

Quote:

>>How can I convert a input which is lowercase automatically to uppercase ?

>>How can I use arrow keys in COBOL

>If your compiler supports the intrinsic function say:
>  MOVE FUNCTION UPPER-CASE(data-name) TO data-name
>otherwise say:
>  INSPECT data-name CONVERTING 'abcd...yz' to 'ABCD...YZ'

>I don't understand the second question.

In addition to the above suggestions, which apply after accepting
the input, the following suggestion may also apply.

If supported by your compiler, the ACCEPT statement may be
used to automatically convert lower case to upper case on input.

ACCEPT identifier ... WITH UPPER

As to arrow keys in a MS DOS environment, the following is
offered.

If supported by your compiler, the arrow keys may be defined as
function keys which have the affect of terminating the ACCEPT
statement. The value of the key pressed (arrow, home, end, etc.)
is then available in the data item defined in the CRT STATUS
clause. Specific information about using this feature should be
available in the compiler's User's Guide or Programmer's Guide.

The information given here applies to MicroFocus COBOL.

Steve Belen, please consult your compiler's COBOL Language
Reference Manual and other references to learn whether these
features are supported. In the future, please tell us which compiler
you are using so that we may give a more detailed response to
your questions.

Rick Smith

Thu, 26 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting lowercase to uppercase and arrow keys

Quote:

>If your compiler supports the intrinsic function say:
>  MOVE FUNCTION UPPER-CASE(data-name) TO data-name
>otherwise say:
>  INSPECT data-name CONVERTING 'abcd...yz' to 'ABCD...YZ'

Care should be used with that statement as it will only work on single byte
character data. It doesn't work if the field contains multi-byte characters
such as those used in Japan. UPPER-CASE will work.

Shaun

Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to convert uppercase to lowercase in fortran

2. Lowercase or uppercase

3. Uppercase or Lowercase

4. How do I code a uppercase/lowercase separator

5. regsub, uppercase to lowercase

6. entry widget - uppercase/lowercase & length restrictions

7. nntplib.py converts message ID to lowercase

8. Convert all uppercase to caps?

9. Convert string to uppercase; need reference book too

10. Converting Strings to UPPERCASE ?

11. LittleArrows and Arrow Keys

12. Detecting Arrow Keys