ACCESS 97 SQL and Fujitsu COBOL
Author Message
 ACCESS 97 SQL and Fujitsu COBOL

I am having a few problems with reading an Access (97) data base
via ODBC.  When I code the SQL statements, I have set up for 2
byte binary (PIC S9(4) COMP-5) and I get back zeros (Microsoft
says in Access that INTEGER is 2 byte binary!).  I also am
attempting to obtain a date field, but, I can't seem to figure
out what Microsoft puts in it.  Interesting considering I know
what I put in the records when I built them using Access.

I have been through several books on Access, SQL, and Fujitsu's
COBOL manuals.  I can't seem to figure out just what format
Microsoft is using for some of their data formats.

Does anyone have any ideas, or pointers you can give me.  I'm at
the point now of using relative addressing and writing a "hex
dump" formatting routine in COBOL to figure out what they're
doing (yes, I'm an old MVS dinosaur who use to do ALC).

--
Steve Thompson
OSP LLC

Remove "_" in email address to contact me -- anti-spam measures
in use

Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:10:36 GMT
 ACCESS 97 SQL and Fujitsu COBOL
Quote:

> I am having a few problems with reading an Access (97) data base
> via ODBC.  When I code the SQL statements, I have set up for 2
> byte binary (PIC S9(4) COMP-5) and I get back zeros (Microsoft
> says in Access that INTEGER is 2 byte binary!).  I also am
> attempting to obtain a date field, but, I can't seem to figure
> out what Microsoft puts in it.  Interesting considering I know
> what I put in the records when I built them using Access.

<snip>

Well, this turned out to be a succession of rookie errors.

1) Make sure that you code the SELECT correctly (I think I have
found some new twists in being syntactically correct, and
logically wrong).

2) Microsoft hands the date back as a character string thusly:
"yy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" and if you were not doing "long dates" then
the hhmmss are all zeros.

The INTEGER fields are PIC S9(4) COMP-5 compatible, and,
contained what I expected once I stopped tripping over the SELECT
syntax.

Now on to more and better things -- UPDATING the table, and JOIN,
and DELETE, and, buying a new hard drive, rebooting NT once or
twice...

--
Steve Thompson
OSP LLC
330/335-9907 office
330/334-2097 fax

Remove "_" in email address to contact me -- anti-spam measures
in use

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 06:12:15 GMT

1. Fujitsu Cobol SQL Access

2. Secure ACCESS 97 SQL toolkit

3. Fujitsu COBOL -- 45,000 Developers Receive Fujitsu COBOL at Microsoft Developer Days

4. Importing via Access 97 odbc driver variable length Access Memo fiels

5. ODBC access to Access 97 database woes

6. SQL Fujitsu's COBOL V.3

7. Embedded SQL and Fujitsu COBOL

8. Fujitsu Cobol 3.0 - Embedded SQL

9. SQL/ODBC for fujitsu cobol

10. Fujitsu COBOL and SQL

11. SQL SUBSTRING format in Fujitsu COBOL (PARADOX)

12. Fujitsu v4.2 and Excel 97