RS232 byte streams
Author Message
 RS232 byte streams

I am converting a bunch of old COBOL programs from CTOS platform to MF
COBOL to run in MS-DOS box under Win95.  The programs make extensive use
of communications byte streams where system calls are used to define
baud rate and parity, raise/lower DTR, send/recived buffered data.

In the past I have used Microfocus DOS interrupt calls to send and
recieve single bytes by addressing proper MS-DOS ports.  The compiler
manuals show lots of CBL_ calls, but nothing like what I need.  Do newer
versions of MF COBOL have additional calls?

Is there a third party tool kit available that provides the
functionallity that I need?

Charlie Goodman

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RS232 byte streams

Quote:

> I am converting a bunch of old COBOL programs from CTOS platform to MF
> COBOL to run in MS-DOS box under Win95.  The programs make extensive use
> of communications byte streams where system calls are used to define
> baud rate and parity, raise/lower DTR, send/recived buffered data.

> In the past I have used Microfocus DOS interrupt calls to send and
> recieve single bytes by addressing proper MS-DOS ports.  The compiler
> manuals show lots of CBL_ calls, but nothing like what I need.  Do newer
> versions of MF COBOL have additional calls?

> Is there a third party tool kit available that provides the
> functionallity that I need?

I used a set of excellent routines called MCOMM.  They *SHOULD* be
available in the internet.  They were written to be called from C, but
work extremely well from Realia COBOL.  I'll give you my syntax for
calling if you find them and can use them.

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. streams and byte arrays?

2. How to write a header with an array of u16 to a file with byte stream

3. Format of Byte-Stream File Comprised of Variants

4. Byte stream conversion using variances

5. Byte order writing to socket stream

6. Acucobol Byte Stream IO

7. MF WB 4.0.38 Byte-stream file to LPT1

8. UNIX MF COBOL -- Tape I/O Via Byte-Stream Functions

9. Converting Ada objects to Byte streams, independent of compiler implementation

10. Last stream problem: byte order

11. Python processing of an input byte stream

12. Reading characters and bytes from the same stream