Xpediter
Author Message
 Xpediter

I recently started a job at a shop that has Xpediter, a product that
allows me to view a program line by line as it runs.  It's wonderful!
The other day I had a S0C7 abend on a program I was testing.  It took me
only 5 minutes to find the problem (I wasn't initializing the numeric
fields).  Without Xpediter, it would have taken me hours to figure it
out.

Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
--
Michael Shank

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

>I recently started a job at a shop that has Xpediter, a product that
>allows me to view a program line by line as it runs.  It's wonderful!
>The other day I had a S0C7 abend on a program I was testing.  It took me
>only 5 minutes to find the problem (I wasn't initializing the numeric
>fields).  Without Xpediter, it would have taken me hours to figure it
>out.

>Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?

YES!  Beg the folks at your site who are responsible for maintaining and
supporting Xpediter NOT to change the names of the libraries every week!  At
our shop, the setup time required virtually EVERY time I've used it (due to
the above inexplicable situation) has resulted in a situation where most
folks use it only as a last resort in the most extreme circumstances.  I've
not used it in over a year.  Maybe that's the idea.  It IS a resource hog,
but it's also every bit as wonderful as you say.
--

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

>I recently started a job at a shop that has Xpediter, a product that
>allows me to view a program line by line as it runs.  It's wonderful!
>The other day I had a S0C7 abend on a program I was testing.  It took me
>only 5 minutes to find the problem (I wasn't initializing the numeric
>fields).  Without Xpediter, it would have taken me hours to figure it
>out.
>Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
>--

Xpediter will allow you to place file and w/s fields at the top of
your screen, so as you walk thru the code with Xpediter, you can watch
the values in each field change.

Tim Oxler

TEO Computer Technologies Inc.

http://www.i1.net/~troxler
http://users.aol.com/TEOcorp

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> I recently started a job at a shop that has Xpediter, a product that
> allows me to view a program line by line as it runs.  It's wonderful!
> The other day I had a S0C7 abend on a program I was testing.  It took me
> only 5 minutes to find the problem (I wasn't initializing the numeric
> fields).  Without Xpediter, it would have taken me hours to figure it
> out.

> Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
> --
> Michael Shank

> http://serve.com/seeker/

I have only one piece of advice: RTFM!
--

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

If it would take your hours to figure out a S0C7, there are no tips that
would help you with Xpediter.

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

>> Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
>I have only one piece of advice: RTFM!

If you're at the telecomm giant where I'm currently contracting, I'd add one
more to that:  TTFAFM (Try To Find A ...).   THEN RTFM..
--

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:
>If it would take your hours to figure out a S0C7, there are no tips that
>would help you with Xpediter.

And if it's that easy for YOU to forget what it was like when YOU started
out...
--

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> If it would take your hours to figure out a S0C7, there are no tips that
> would help you with Xpediter.

Next time I have a question, I know who NOT to ask for help.
--
-----------------------
Kent Verhage

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996 01:17:34 -0600, Seekermike

Quote:

>I recently started a job at a shop that has Xpediter, a product that
>allows me to view a program line by line as it runs.  It's wonderful!
>The other day I had a S0C7 abend on a program I was testing.  It took me
>only 5 minutes to find the problem (I wasn't initializing the numeric
>fields).  Without Xpediter, it would have taken me hours to figure it
>out.

>Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
>--
>Michael Shank

>http://serve.com/seeker/

Xpediter by far is the best debugging tool for the mainframe.  I used
if for 5 years at my last gig.
One thing that is very nice, is the Quick Start feature.  Just place
the JCL that you would normally use to run your program (prod or test)
in the spot for the xpediter jcl and the Enter (submit).  Xpediter is
smart enough to find the program, even  with multiple steps, convert
and expand your jcl and run your program.

Another thing that is quit useful is the batch connect feature...
especially if you have multiple steps and/or you are using tape files.
With batch connect you can run your job as you normally would but when
it comes to the step that executes your program, PRESTO, up pops your
debug screen!

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> If it would take your hours to figure out a S0C7, there are no tips that
> would help you with Xpediter.

?????????????????

Bullshit!!

An experienced programmer will solve a trivial S0C7 quickly sans
Xpediter,..
but for a novice Xpediter will make him/her solve it even quicker!!

What an answer to give!!!

:-((

Geir Knaplund

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

RTFM?  What's an M?  At my shop we have Xpediter on 100 or so
machines, and 1 manual, which the systems guys protect from the
working guys.
I use Xpd probably once a year.  It seems that every time I go to use
it there is a new version, or at least some changes which make me
spend as much time time relearning Xpd as is spent actually debugging
my program.

Quote:

(snip)
>> Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
>> --
>> Michael Shank

>> http://serve.com/seeker/
>I have only one piece of advice: RTFM!
>--

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Hardly, but then we only had old fashion dumps to read.  Seems that way to
many new programmers don't know the underlying basics, and therefore lean
on tools like Expediter to solve their problems for them.  I am not a big
advocate of learning the hard way, but every shop seems to have a different
version or just a different de{*filter*}.  Learning the basic method, then
learn the tools...

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> RTFM?  What's an M?  At my shop we have Xpediter on 100 or so
> machines, and 1 manual, which the systems guys protect from the
> working guys.
> I use Xpd probably once a year.  It seems that every time I go to use
> it there is a new version, or at least some changes which make me
> spend as much time time relearning Xpd as is spent actually debugging
> my program.

> (snip)
> >> Does anyone have any Xpediter tips for a new user?
> >> --
> >> Michael Shank

> >> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> >I have only one piece of advice: RTFM!
> >--

In the absence of an M try the F1 key, alot of documentation exists
exists online....
--
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL
be charged a $100 proof-reading fee.  Do NOT send junk email to me -

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti{*filter*}t to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section
is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Too bad the Xpediter manual is not currently furnished in softcopy form.
Probably would not take 1 MB in IBM's bookmangler format, then everyone
could have access to one, without chopping down trees.

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> Too bad the Xpediter manual is not currently furnished in softcopy form.
> Probably would not take 1 MB in IBM's bookmangler format, then everyone
> could have access to one, without chopping down trees.

Yes, Xpediter is an excellent tool, and having it on Bookmanager would
be nice.  Putting 'h' on a field display line shows the value in hex,
useful for error codes in Hogan.  Any Hogan programmers out there?  No?
Oh, well...

?????????????????????????????????????????????

???   http://www.yi.com/home/WilliamsSteve
?????????????????????????????????????????????

Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Pl/I in Xpediter

2. XPEDITER

3. Xpediter S0C4

4. Help with xpediter, S0C4 when compiling.

5. Xpediter 7.0 Question

6. RFIND not active in Xpediter

7. Xpediter/TSO versus Intertest/Batch

8. XPEDITER Issue