Xpediter
Author Message
 Xpediter

Xpediter manuals are available in bookmangler format.  Call Compuware
for information.  Most Compuware mainframe manuals are available in
softcopy.

I noticed that some are even online at my latest job.

Bob Eltgroth - former Compuware employee

Quote:

> Too bad the Xpediter manual is not currently furnished in softcopy form.
> Probably would not take 1 MB in IBM's bookmangler format, then everyone
> could have access to one, without chopping down trees.

Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

I use to work for the company that makes Xpeditor.  Great tool.

Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Going to go grab the Xpediter tape on Thursday and grab the bookmangler
format books.

I will see if they require the "product" flavor of Bookmangler /DOS / OS2/
Win to read them.  Most of the third party stuff seems to.  The product
version is not expensive - I seem to recall paying $70 for the DOS
version, but is a pain in the can to purchase.

However, once I get the bookie format books, I can read them on MVS (using
MVS bookie) or laptop.  Sure a lot more portable than paper.

Of course one could also use bookie to "print" the entire manual to disk
(mainframe or PC) then you no longer need individual copies of bookie to
read the stuff.

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

>Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL
>be charged a $100 proof-reading fee.  Do NOT send junk email to me -
>consider this an official notice:

ROFL!!!!  And how much have you collected so far?

Paul Knudsen
Systems Consultant
MetLife
I like AOL.  Don't care if you don't.

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

>RTFM?  What's an M?  At my shop we have Xpediter on 100 or so
>machines, and 1 manual, which the systems guys protect from the
>working guys.

Amen.  You'd think, if your company was bright enough to order the
product, they'd think to order at least one manual for each team, too.
Ha.  Put us in charge for 90 days, eh?

Paul Knudsen
Systems Consultant
MetLife
I like AOL.  Don't care if you don't.

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> >Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL
> >be charged a $100 proof-reading fee.  Do NOT send junk email to me -
> >consider this an official notice:

> ROFL!!!!  And how much have you collected so far?

> Paul Knudsen
> Systems Consultant
> MetLife
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> I like AOL.  Don't care if you don't.

Haven't collected a dime, but it didn't cost me anything to post the
request either,  and I haven't had a second spam from the same source.

just thought I'd geve it a try for a while, small claims court doesn't
cost a dime either.....

--
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL
be charged a $100 proof-reading fee.  Do NOT send junk email to me -
consider this an official notice:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti{*filter*}t to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section
is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

for full text:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

Quote:

> >RTFM?  What's an M?  At my shop we have Xpediter on 100 or so
> >machines, and 1 manual, which the systems guys protect from the
> >working guys.

> Amen.  You'd think, if your company was bright enough to order the
> product, they'd think to order at least one manual for each team, too.
> Ha.  Put us in charge for 90 days, eh?

> Paul Knudsen
> Systems Consultant
> MetLife
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> I like AOL.  Don't care if you don't.

Some of the software vendors will agree to clients making copies of their
manuals, provided it's for internal use only.  This is especially true
for mainframe 'productivity' type tools.  I'd ask your site contact to
check with the vendor to see if they have a problem with your company
burning off a few copies.  It makes their product more likely to be used,
and so, cost-justified for renewing their license.  Hey, it doesn't hurt
to ask....

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

says...

Quote:

>Some of the software vendors will agree to clients making copies of their
>manuals, provided it's for internal use only.  This is especially true
>for mainframe 'productivity' type tools.  I'd ask your site contact to
>check with the vendor to see if they have a problem with your company
>burning off a few copies.  It makes their product more likely to be used,
>and so, cost-justified for renewing their license.  Hey, it doesn't hurt
>to ask....

Rather than generate more paper that soon becomes out of date, what about using
a product like MVS/Quickref or IBM Book Manager? I'm pretty sure the Xped
books are available in these formats. This would then also get all the other books
you can't lay your hands on out in the field where they are needed.

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Xpediter

10MB on your PC will hold a full set of Xpeditor manuals.  You probably
need a $70 or so BOOKMANAGER for DOS or Windoze or OS/2 to read these, but
that is probably far less than the cost of 1 book.

The books are funished on the distribution tape, the .BOO (book) and .BKI
(cross book index) are simply downloaded.  The .BKS (bookshelf) must be
converted from EBCDIC to ASCII if you download.

If you have mainframe BOOKie you just need to get the files loaded and use
the thing.

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]