WAIT or similar function in COBOL
Author Message
 WAIT or similar function in COBOL

I am dealing with a program in VS COBOL II ( IBM Mainframe/MVS ), where
I need to submit this program which will check a DB2 table every 15
minutes until reaches a specified time.
The program is written with the following logic :
ACCEPT s time and checks if the difference is 15 minutes in a loop

I dont want to hold CPU time. I read in the manual about WAIT verb,
but it is not ANSI ( so, not supported in VS COBOL ) , it is a
CODASYL standard verb.
Is there any other way to put the program in a wait status for a
specified period of time ( In CICS I could use "EXEC CICS WAIT...",
but this is a COBOL/DB2 program ).

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 WAIT or similar function in COBOL

No way provided in VS COBOL II.

A simple assembler routine could issue a STIMER WAIT,BINTIVL=loc where loc
was a fullword containing the wait interval in .01 seconds (as I recall).

See the VS COBOL II programmer's guide for a skeletal program.

I recently implemented a routine like this, seems like it must have been
10 lines total.  In the particular case, the application needed to delay
sending output to a on-line terminal (simulated 3270, but not really very
well simulated), since the terminal would saturate if multiple messages
arrived too quickly.

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 WAIT or similar function in COBOL

Quote:

> > I am dealing with a program in VS COBOL II ( IBM Mainframe/MVS ), where
> > I need to submit this program which will check a DB2 table every 15
> > minutes until reaches a specified time.

[snip]

Quote:
> How about running a small CICS task to check on the status and submit a
> batch job [...]

Wouldn't it be possible simply to let MVS schedule the job?

Even better, could the job be triggered by some event?
(Polled systems spend almost none of their time doing
anything but discovering that they have nothing to do.)

--Bill

Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 WAIT or similar function in COBOL

Quote:

> > I am dealing with a program in VS COBOL II ( IBM Mainframe/MVS ), where
> > I need to submit this program which will check a DB2 table every 15
> > minutes until reaches a specified time.
> > The program is written with the following logic :
> > ACCEPT s time and checks if the difference is 15 minutes in a loop

> > I dont want to hold CPU time. I read in the manual about WAIT verb,
> > but it is not ANSI ( so, not supported in VS COBOL ) , it is a
> > CODASYL standard verb.
> > Is there any other way to put the program in a wait status for a
> > specified period of time ( In CICS I could use "EXEC CICS WAIT...",
> > but this is a COBOL/DB2 program ).
> How about running a small CICS task to check on the status and submit a
> batch job to the system when it finds work to be done. The CICS task
> would kick itself off every fif{*filter*} minutes using the Start function and
> would be initially kicked off during CICS startup.

How about an EXEC CICS START with the time option?  (I think this is what
you were advocationg, just wanted to make it clearer).

Fri, 23 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl functions similar to APL?

2. awk String Function Package [was RE: Similar to problem posted by D.Cranston]

3. Function similar to InstallComCallback?

4. similar function to ibm's RXQUEUE.EXE in REGINA REXX

5. getmem/freemem similar functions?

6. getmem/freemem similar functions?

7. f90 - Function similar to internal trim

8. trace calls from within mapcar or similar functions

9. Looking for a Cobol FAQ [or similar]

10. I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

11. How similar is Telon to Cobol?

12. wait state timeout function