The program uses a couple of huge tables and it's not possible to make
them smaller.
The moment I call another program from within this program the error
#204 occurs.

Is it possible to use the upper or other memory (switch or parameter)
with RM-COBOL.

Greetings,

Bert van de Bovenkamp
The Netherlands.

Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM-COBOL runtime error #204

Quote:
>I receive a runtime error #204 while running a program.
>(RM-COBOL under MS-DOS)
>I know it has something to do with insufficient memory.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that error has to do
with a called program not being accessible. I'm not sure
such an inaccessibility error status means scarcity
of memory - as far as I'm able to recall, it should mean
unresolved path or wrong compiled version (as seen
by the underlying runtime).

Quote:
>The program uses a couple of huge tables and it's not possible to make
>them smaller.

Sure? Not even writing their contents down to a file (or files)?

Quote:
>The moment I call another program from within this program the error
>#204 occurs.

See!?

Quote:
>Is it possible to use the upper or other memory (switch or parameter)
>with RM-COBOL.

I lost contact with rm-cobol's *.cobs running under Dos for
sometime now, but remember that if you had your DOS
memory management well tuned, nammely if you had
free Upper Memory Blocks, then the runtime might use them
as well. But all this should be implemented on the Dos front.
As for the runtime parameters, you may reduce memory alloccated
to sorting (t=?/may be zero if you don't sort/merge), reduce the
accept/display buffering (b parameter) and little else. The terminfo
file can also be modified and give you something more of what you
need. You can also switch off the pop-up windows manager
if you don't use that feature.
Anyway I can tell you that once I had a couple hundred programs
running in Dos (Novell network), windowing at full steam(Panels),
sort/merging, lots of tables, permanent sub-program calling (and
cancelling) and I was even able to call a very interesting tool that
Liant sold at that time and that enabled you to display true
graphics of data supplied to an appropriate template. Well, this
utility, unlike Rm-runtime, depended on the extended memory
available. One feature I used not to be bothered by memory
complaints was 'overlay' sections.
Luckily all those programs (in a newer version) are running
under Unix and I had no more concerns on the subject.
Anyway , let's hope someone may turn out with more
helpful advice.
Quote:

>Greetings,

>Bert van de Bovenkamp
>The Netherlands.

Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM-COBOL runtime error #204
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:31:41 +0100, Bert van de Bovenkamp

Quote:

>Hello,

>I receive a runtime error #204 while running a program.
>(RM-COBOL under MS-DOS)

Error 204 has to do with calling a program that is either not
available to the runtime or that is not a valid RM/COBOL program
with an internal version supported by the runtime you are using.

This means that if you have a program that was created using
a newer compiler and if that programs used options not available
on the runtime you are using them you will get this error even
if the program is a valid RM/COBOL program.

Hope this clarify.

Frederico Fonseca

RM/COBOL technical support in Portugal

Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 RM-COBOL runtime error #204
Yes, using version 6 or upper.

Quote:
>Hello,

>I receive a runtime error #204 while running a program.
>(RM-COBOL under MS-DOS)

>I know it has something to do with insufficient memory.
>The program uses a couple of huge tables and it's not possible to make
>them smaller.
>The moment I call another program from within this program the error
>#204 occurs.

>Is it possible to use the upper or other memory (switch or parameter)
>with RM-COBOL.

>Greetings,

>Bert van de Bovenkamp
>The Netherlands.

Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. URGENT: cobol runtime error 204

2. URGENT: cobol runtime error 204

3. Error 98 in RM COBOL runtime 2.02.06 for Xenix 2.3.4

4. Runtime Problem about RM/COBOL 85

5. rm/cobol 85 runtime: I need one..

6. Searching for RM-COBOL compiler (and runtime)

7. rm/cobol Runtime <ver 1.5e>

8. RMCobol Error invoking unauthorized copy of the runtime

9. cobol runtime error 46 for cobol 85

10. Model 204

11. US.FL.TAMPA PL/1 AND MODEL 204

12. PL/1 and Model 204 in Florida (Gulf Coast)