Multi Threading within MicroFocus Cobol
Author Message
 Multi Threading within MicroFocus Cobol

I require a method to start another thread while the current thread is still
executing. I need to simulate a CICS START TRANSACTION in MicroFocus Cobol
environment running under NT .

Any Ideas would be greatl\y appreciated.

Thanking you in advance
Graeme Conn

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Multi Threading within MicroFocus Cobol

Quote:

> I require a method to start another thread while the current thread is still
> executing. I need to simulate a CICS START TRANSACTION in MicroFocus Cobol
> environment running under NT .

You don't say what COBOL version you are using, but under NetExpress
there is a whole host of CBL_THREAD_... API's to achieve threading
as well as extended syntax.

Note that older versions of the COBOL product were thread SAFE (ie,
the RTS ensures that only one thread may enter COBOL at a time), but
were not thread AWARE (ie, you cannot write a true multi-threaded COBOL
application).

Cheers,
Kev.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Multi Threading within MicroFocus Cobol

Quote:

>> I require a method to start another thread while the current thread is
still
>> executing. I need to simulate a CICS START TRANSACTION in MicroFocus
Cobol
>> environment running under NT .

>You don't say what COBOL version you are using, but under NetExpress
>there is a whole host of CBL_THREAD_... API's to achieve threading
>as well as extended syntax.

>Note that older versions of the COBOL product were thread SAFE (ie,
>the RTS ensures that only one thread may enter COBOL at a time), but
>were not thread AWARE (ie, you cannot write a true multi-threaded COBOL
>application).

>Cheers,
>Kev.

I believe the HP/UX version of MF COBOL has thread support courtesy of HP.

Standard MF COBOL has a thing called 'Concurrency Support'. It's documented
in Chapter 14 of the 'Programmer's Guide to Writing Programs' manual (at
least in my copy). It's a sort of multi-threading implemented by the RTS.
It's not very powerful but it may be what you're after.

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Multi Threading within MicroFocus Cobol
Graeme,

I know of at least two options:

1)  Look at the "CBL_" multi-threading functions, which are documented in
the HELP system.  Using these functions you can start threads, monitor them,
kill them, etc.

2)  Use the x"91" / 35 CALL to launch a new NT process.  This is the
functional equivalent of opening a new application.  I am using this
successfully to run batch processes via command files and other functions.

If you want some code snippets send me a note off-list.

Dick McMullen

Quote:

>I require a method to start another thread while the current thread is
still
>executing. I need to simulate a CICS START TRANSACTION in MicroFocus Cobol
>environment running under NT .

>Any Ideas would be greatl\y appreciated.

>Thanking you in advance
>Graeme Conn

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. multi-threads within the Python environment?

2. Help with Microfocus personal cobol and Microfocus Level II cobol

3. Multi-threaded programing in MF COBOL

4. DEVELOPING MULTI-THREADED COBOL APPLICATIONS (REFORMATED TEXT)

5. DEVELOPING MULTI-THREADED COBOL APPLICATIONS

6. COBOL Standard for multi-threaded behaviour?

7. Multi-threaded / multi-processor CL ?

8. Multi-threading on Multi-CPU machines

9. Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX

10. help tiny-cobol compatablities with Microfocus personal Cobol

11. MicroFocus COBOL vs. Mainframe COBOL II

12. compatibility beetwen microfocus cobol 2.0 and RM cobol with "linux 3.0