Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe
Author Message
 Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe

Hi,

Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on how to use Environmental
Variables in the above environment.

I've searched here, but couldn't find any mainframe references. Any pointers to
on-line references or hardcopy text would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Jack.

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:59:30 GMT
 Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe
You don't say *which* IBM COBOL compiler you are using - or what release of
LE, but for an example (from the latest documentation), check out,

"3.4.2.3 Accessing environment variables"

at
 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg00/3.4.2.3

    and

 "3.4.2.4 Example: accessing environment variables"

at
 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg00/3.4.2.4

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on how to use Environmental
> Variables in the above environment.

> I've searched here, but couldn't find any mainframe references. Any
pointers to
> on-line references or hardcopy text would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanx, Jack.

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:41:24 GMT
 Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe
Hi Bill,

Thanx for your quick reply. The doc you pointed me to indicates that
the "e v" is a UNIX feature. I could have sworn that I've seen this
discussed in at least 1 ng as a way in "MVS" to process multiple
members of a PDS in a COBOL pgm, by reading a member list and using it
to change the "e v" before writing the next PDS member.

Admittedly, I,ve tried searching the ngs, but to no avail. Am I
mistaken?

Thanx again, Jack.

Quote:
> You don't say *which* IBM COBOL compiler you are using - or what release of
> LE, but for an example (from the latest documentation), check out,

> "3.4.2.3 Accessing environment variables"

> at
>  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg00/3.4.2.3

>     and

>  "3.4.2.4 Example: accessing environment variables"

> at
>  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg00/3.4.2.4

> --
> Bill Klein
>  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

> > Hi,

> > Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on how to use Environmental
> > Variables in the above environment.

> > I've searched here, but couldn't find any mainframe references. Any
>  pointers to
> > on-line references or hardcopy text would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanx, Jack.

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:55:56 GMT
 Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe
From the programming guide,

"You can call standard UNIX/POSIX functions from your UNIX programs and from
traditional MVS COBOL programs."

As long as you are under LE, these will work in ANY environment.  (I am not
positive about CICS, but I think even there too)

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Quote:
> Hi Bill,

> Thanx for your quick reply. The doc you pointed me to indicates that
> the "e v" is a UNIX feature. I could have sworn that I've seen this
> discussed in at least 1 ng as a way in "MVS" to process multiple
> members of a PDS in a COBOL pgm, by reading a member list and using it
> to change the "e v" before writing the next PDS member.

> Admittedly, I,ve tried searching the ngs, but to no avail. Am I
> mistaken?

> Thanx again, Jack.

Quote:
> > You don't say *which* IBM COBOL compiler you are using - or what release
of
> > LE, but for an example (from the latest documentation), check out,

> > "3.4.2.3 Accessing environment variables"

> > at
> >  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg00/3.4.2.3

> >     and

> >  "3.4.2.4 Example: accessing environment variables"

> > at
> >  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg00/3.4.2.4

> > --
> > Bill Klein
> >  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

> > > Hi,

> > > Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on how to use
Environmental
> > > Variables in the above environment.

> > > I've searched here, but couldn't find any mainframe references. Any
> >  pointers to
> > > on-line references or hardcopy text would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanx, Jack.

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:14:51 GMT
 Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe
Jack writes ...

Quote:
>Hi,

>Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on how to use Environmental
>Variables in the above environment.

>I've searched here, but couldn't find any mainframe references. Any pointers
>on-line references or hardcopy text would be greatly appreciated.

Go to http://www.trainersfriend.com/Book_site.htm where you can download my
free, technical publication "z/OS, Language Environment, and UNIX - How They
Work Together". Almost 15,000 downloads since I first posted it.

Kind regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:57:34 GMT

1. LE 1.8 wierd COBOL abend dump-longish ( x-posted to IBM-MAIN and COBOL )

2. IBM Mainframe to IBM Unix Cobol conversion?

3. tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

4. What's new *and* interesting for IBM mainframe COBOL programmers - in the next COBOL Standard

5. IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL

6. Environmental Variable from MF COBOL

7. IBM COBOL LE CICS PROGRAMMER

8. Bit Twiddling in IBM (LE) COBOL

9. IBM COBOL under LE - Performance Info

10. Compiling COBOL in VM, IBM LE

11. Getting true length of a variable length record - IBM Mainframe

12. IBM Mainframe - COBOL,IMS/DB/DC,CICS,DB2 immediate openings