Microfocus Cobol
Author Message
 Microfocus Cobol

Does anyone know what the most recent version of Microfocus cobol and where
it would be available....

Thanks in Advance!!!

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol
Micro Focus (not Microfocus) is now a part of MERANT (not Merant).  They
have two directions of products (for COBOL) - one is NetExpress and one is
MainframeExpress.  I suggest that you check out

  www.merant.com

to get the latest information (including sales offices and channels in
various parts of the world).

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:
> Does anyone know what the most recent version of Microfocus cobol and
where
> it would be available....

> Thanks in Advance!!!

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol
Bill,

To complete the picture we have:

1) Net Express 3.0 for Win32.
2) Mainframe Express 1.1 for Win32 - this is a mainframe offload toolset.
3) Object COBOL Developer Suite 4.1 on UNIX.
4) Soon there will also be Server Express 1.0 for UNIX.

There are also educational products designed for students and learning
establishments.

Hope this helps.

Paddy Coleman
Manager, E-Business Support, EMEA.
MERANT Micro Focus.

Quote:

>Micro Focus (not Microfocus) is now a part of MERANT (not Merant).  They
>have two directions of products (for COBOL) - one is NetExpress and one is
>MainframeExpress.  I suggest that you check out

>  www.merant.com

>to get the latest information (including sales offices and channels in
>various parts of the world).

>--
>Bill Klein
>    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

>> Does anyone know what the most recent version of Microfocus cobol and
>where
>> it would be available....

>> Thanks in Advance!!!

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol
Quote:

> Micro Focus (not Microfocus) is now a part of MERANT (not Merant).

(snip)

Does anyone know why "MERANT" is in upper case?  (Likewise for
INTERSOLV...) Is it an acronym for something or just a silly corporate
'image' thing?

--

                              | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
Information Systems Manager   |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA
LaRich Distributors, Inc.     | web:    http://www.larich.com

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol
David,

Not sure I can agree with it being a "silly corporate image thing" <g>.
Apparently,
according to "experts" having the name in upper-case makes it stand out more
in text.  If you look at the text below I suppose it does!

Hope this helps.

Paddy Coleman
Manager, E-Business Support, EMEA.
MERANT Micro Focus.

Quote:

>> Micro Focus (not Microfocus) is now a part of MERANT (not Merant).
>(snip)

>Does anyone know why "MERANT" is in upper case?  (Likewise for
>INTERSOLV...) Is it an acronym for something or just a silly corporate
>'image' thing?

>--

>                              | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
>Information Systems Manager   |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA
>LaRich Distributors, Inc.     | web:    http://www.larich.com

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol
The way(s) customers spell it is always right.

Does this mean I can start a company spelled Merant, and MERANT won't
sue me? 8^)

Quote:

> >Does anyone know why "MERANT" is in upper case?  (Likewise for
> >INTERSOLV...) Is it an acronym for something or just a silly corporate
> >'image' thing?

>   Let me put it this way: it's not an acronym.
>   Did you know that the offically correct spelling for Teleprompter
> is TelePrompTer [1]?  Of course, nobody but throughly indoctrinated
> employees or corporate flacks actually uses that weird
> capitalization.

> [1] From Encyclopaedia Britannica:
> TelePrompTer trademark--used for a device for unrolling a
> magnified script in front of a speaker on television.

> --
> Ron
> (user Ron1 in domain mindspring.com)

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

Quote:

> David,

> Not sure I can agree with it being a "silly corporate image thing" <g>.
> Apparently,
> according to "experts" having the name in upper-case makes it stand out more
> in text.

Good Lord.  Now we have experts in upper-case spin control.  Perhaps
they should have pointed out that an icon is easier to recognize than
text of any sort--as in "announcing XYZ, a product brought to you by
[symbol], the company formerly known as Micro Focus..."  <g>

Perhaps the money would have been better spent finding a name that
wasn't subject to ambiguous pronunciation.

--

                              | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
Information Systems Manager   |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA
LaRich Distributors, Inc.     | web:    http://www.larich.com

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

s.net...

Quote:
> Good Lord.  Now we have experts in upper-case spin control.  Perhaps
> they should have pointed out that an icon is easier to recognize than
> text of any sort--as in "announcing XYZ, a product brought to you by
> [symbol], the company formerly known as Micro Focus..."  <g>

> Perhaps the money would have been better spent finding a name that
> wasn't subject to ambiguous pronunciation.

you mean you don't know that the icon above the "M" in "MERANT" symbolizes
an accent; so that you speak it ever so properly, like ;-)

anyway, i agree with Paddy -- you can't knock it. someone out there likely
cut a tidy sum for this.
--
Gazaloo
gaz at home dot com

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol
'Twas Wed, 26 May 1999 16:26:45 -0400, when "David W. Furin"

Quote:
> Perhaps the money would have been better spent finding a name that
> wasn't subject to ambiguous pronunciation.

Could someone help with this?  I keep reading the MERANT rhymes with
errant.  Well of course it does; that's how I pronounced it the first time
I saw it.  It's the _only_ way I can pronounce it.  Can someone tell me
how to mispronounce MERANT?
--
R B |\  Randall Bart

n r |\  1-614-308-9307      Please reply without spam       I Love You
d t ||\ Have you solved http://users.aol.com/PanicYr00/Sequence.html ?
a    |/ MS^7=6/28/107             Let's sing about the Year 2000 Bugs:
l    |\             http://users.aol.com/PanicYr00/SongMiscellany.html
l    |/ Has anyone in Washington DC read the US Constitution?

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

[...]>

Quote:
>Could someone help with this?  I keep reading the MERANT rhymes with
>errant.  Well of course it does; that's how I pronounced it the first time
>I saw it.  It's the _only_ way I can pronounce it.  Can someone tell me
>how to mispronounce MERANT?

Change the emphasis to the second syllable. One may also change
the sound produced by the 'A' or assume the 'T' is silent. I came up
with five mispronunciations -- two of which seem reasonable.

The pronunciation guide in a dictionary would help to suggest how
the word would sound with various changes.
------------------
Rick Smith

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

Quote:

>errant.  Well of course it does; that's how I pronounced it the first time
>I saw it.  It's the _only_ way I can pronounce it.  Can someone tell me
>how to mispronounce MERANT?

You could mispronounce it as "smith" if you want ...
;<)

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

Quote:

>>errant.  Well of course it does; that's how I pronounced it the first time
>>I saw it.  It's the _only_ way I can pronounce it.  Can someone tell me
>>how to mispronounce MERANT?

>You could mispronounce it as "smith" if you want ...

Well, let's try to stick with the Realm of Vague Possibility... how about
'mer' as in 'mercy' ('murr') and '-ant' as in 'attendant' ('ent')?

Makes me angry... me yell!  Me howl!  Me rave!  Me rant!

DD

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

Quote:

>Well, let's try to stick with the Realm of Vague Possibility... how about
>'mer' as in 'mercy' ('murr') and '-ant' as in 'attendant' ('ent')?

>Makes me angry... me yell!  Me howl!  Me rave!  Me rant!

Icon.

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

Quote:

>>Well, let's try to stick with the Realm of Vague Possibility... how about
>>'mer' as in 'mercy' ('murr') and '-ant' as in 'attendant' ('ent')?

>>Makes me angry... me yell!  Me howl!  Me rave!  Me rant!

>Icon.

No, you con't... or do you mean ol' Carl?

DD

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Microfocus Cobol

Quote:

>>>Well, let's try to stick with the Realm of Vague Possibility... how about
>>>'mer' as in 'mercy' ('murr') and '-ant' as in 'attendant' ('ent')?

>>>Makes me angry... me yell!  Me howl!  Me rave!  Me rant!

>>Icon.

>No, you con't... or do you mean ol' Carl?

Doc, such old anlgo-saxonisms are *very* rude ...

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX

2. MicroFocus COBOL vs. Mainframe COBOL II

3. compatibility beetwen microfocus cobol 2.0 and RM cobol with "linux 3.0

4. Calling Cobol from C (Microfocus Cobol)

5. Pro*Cobol for Windows 3.1 and Microfocus Cobol

6. sample makefile to compile Microfocus COBOL and Pro*Cobol programs

7. Microfocus COBOL/COBOL - Washington DC area - 2 positions

8. *****US-CHICAGO Microfocus COBOL, XBDB, DB2, COBOL II (RECRUITER)

9. Microfocus COBOL

10. MicroFocus Cobol programmer wanted

11. microfocus cobol accessing htmlhelp instead of winhelp.