Calling COBOL programs from REXX
Author Message
 Calling COBOL programs from REXX

I have developed a method of calling COBOL programs from REXX (in an
IBM/MVS/TSO environment).  If anyone is interested, then please e-mail
me for details.

If there is enough interest, I will post it to these newsgroups.

--
Ken MacKenzie

--
Ken MacKenzie

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Calling COBOL programs from REXX

[Posted and mailed]

:>I have developed a method of calling COBOL programs from REXX (in an
:>IBM/MVS/TSO environment).  If anyone is interested, then please e-mail
:>me for details.

Wouldn't there be two easy ways:

ADDRESS TSO "CALL 'lib(pgm)' '"parms"'"

           and

ADDRESS LINKMVS "pgm parms"

:>If there is enough interest, I will post it to these newsgroups.

Curious to know what is unique about your approach.

:>--
:>Ken MacKenzie

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Calling COBOL programs from REXX

Quote:

>[Posted and mailed]

>:>I have developed a method of calling COBOL programs from REXX (in an
>:>IBM/MVS/TSO environment).  If anyone is interested, then please e-mail
>:>me for details.

>Wouldn't there be two easy ways:

>ADDRESS TSO "CALL 'lib(pgm)' '"parms"'"

>           and

>ADDRESS LINKMVS "pgm parms"

>:>If there is enough interest, I will post it to these newsgroups.

>Curious to know what is unique about your approach.

>:>--
>:>Ken MacKenzie

>--

>Director, Dissen Software, Bar & Grill - Israel

Sorry, I didn't make my message clear enough.  What I meant was, my
routine will allow you to call a COBOL program as a REXX
function/subroutine.  The COBOL program will have access to the EFPL
and will be able to return a result.

--
Ken MacKenzie

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Calling COBOL programs from REXX

Quote:
>I have developed a method of calling COBOL programs from REXX (in an
>IBM/MVS/TSO environment).  If anyone is interested, then please e-mail
>me for details.

>If there is enough interest, I will post it to these newsgroups.

Post it

Peter

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Calling COBOL programs from REXX

begin 644 rxefpl.txt
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Calling COBOL programs from REXX

It seems that there is enough interest, so here goes.
I am sending the actual code as an attachment.  I have never done this before
so, be prepared for me getting it wrong! <g>

Note that I recommend a dynamic call but, it's up to you
how you do it.  Of course, the assumption is that you are using COBOL2 or
COBOL/370.

Have fun - if you need to allocate a return area (EVALBLOCK)  bigger than 250
bytes and are not sure how, just drop me a line and I will help you out.

The next thing I will investigate is the use of "shared variables", this will
allow me to manipulate REXX variables within my COBOL programs.  Watch this
space ...

--
Ken MacKenzie

(or kenmac.compuserve.com,
 when they get their finger out!)

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. rexx program calling cobol program

2. tso rexx calls cobol calls cobol -> splat

3. How to call a Cobol/DB2 program from REXX

4. Rexx calling a Cobol program

5. Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

6. problems with tbdisplay in a rexx after calling a cobol program

7. Calling a non-COBOL program from a COBOL program on OS/390

8. Call a REXX Exec and have it Address the calling program

9. Calling a REXX program from a C program.

10. Calling REXX programs from within an assembler program

11. COBOL II calls to OS/VS COBOL programs in batch

12. Call HLASM program from COBOL MVS program