CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench
Author Message
 CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench

If you have used or are using the current versions of either CA-Realia II
Workbench 4.0 or COBOL Workbench from Micro Focus, could you point out the
good, bad and ugly of the product. I'm trying to evaluate which one to use
for a bunch of COBOL programs we're going to move from a mainframe
environment to a PC environment and I'd like to hear some comments from
people who have actually used the products.

Thanks.

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench

Quote:

> If you have used or are using the current versions of either CA-Realia II
> Workbench 4.0 or COBOL Workbench from Micro Focus, could you point out the
> good, bad and ugly of the product. I'm trying to evaluate which one to use
> for a bunch of COBOL programs we're going to move from a mainframe
> environment to a PC environment and I'd like to hear some comments from
> people who have actually used the products.

> Thanks.

I have used MF COBOL for 6 or 7 years... haven't used Realia
extensively, but I do have some experience with it. MF seems to have
more of the bases covered in terms of platforms supported. So if you are
looking for a tool that can work on OS/2, NT, Windows 3.1, Unix (AIX),
then I think MF is a good choice. Realia by comparison has no UNIX
version available. This could be important in the future because you may
decide to create some "middle layer" and move some of your code from the
PC back to a UNIX server.

The ugly  part of MF is the tech support. They have a great product
(IMHO)... but their first line tech support people are refugees from
McDonalds.

Return address is John underscore Saxton at ML dot com

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench

Quote:
> If you have used or are using the current versions of either CA-Realia II
> Workbench 4.0 or COBOL Workbench from Micro Focus, could you point out the
> good, bad and ugly of the product. I'm trying to evaluate which one to use
> for a bunch of COBOL programs we're going to move from a mainframe
> environment to a PC environment and I'd like to hear some comments from
> people who have actually used the products.

> Thanks.

I'm using Realia for just such a project (not my decision) and I have
to say that I would NOT recommend it. Its full of bugs and, if youre
going to use indexed files, be warned that it does not support record
locking (unless you use Brieve instead of its native file system).

MF wins every time for me.

--
Paul Thomas
Replace 'z' in domain name

Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CA-Realia II COBOL WorkBench for Windows

2. - Cobol CA-Realia II Workbench 1.1 for Windows - Vendo

3. Cobol CA-Realia II Workbench For Windows Versione 1.1

4. Thoughts on CA Visual Realia, Realia Workbench (COBOL)

5. Computer Associates - Advantage CA-Realia II Workbench 3.2 Beta Testing

6. CA-Realia Workbench II Debugger

7. CA Realia vs Micro Focus Workbench

8. - Cobol CA-Rewalia II Workbench 1.1 for Windows - Vendo

9. Searching for CA Realia Workbench

10. CA Realia Workbench

11. CA Realia II VS MicroFocus COBOL?

12. Comparison of Micro Focus vs. CA Realia II