ALERT! New virus has been very active today 
Author Message
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

A new virus called 'I love you' is a mail with an attached .JPG file.

DO NOT OPEN, Delete it immediately.

Here is a short description of it's nature.

When the .JPG file is opened, all pictures on your computer will be
replaced.
If you have installed MS exchange, Outlook or Outlook Express, it will send
itself to everyone in the address book

Normally we are very happy when someone says 'I love You'. In this case:
call the sender and say thank you for the mail. From the reaction you get,
you can decide whether the mail must be deleted, or not :-)

Seriously :::::::>> TAKE CARE.



Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:

>A new virus called 'I love you' is a mail with an attached .JPG file.

>DO NOT OPEN, Delete it immediately.

>Here is a short description of it's nature.

>When the .JPG file is opened, all pictures on your computer will be
>replaced.
>If you have installed MS exchange, Outlook or Outlook Express, it will send
>itself to everyone in the address book

>Normally we are very happy when someone says 'I love You'. In this case:
>call the sender and say thank you for the mail. From the reaction you get,
>you can decide whether the mail must be deleted, or not :-)

>Seriously :::::::>> TAKE CARE.


would open it, but if the sender was Ib Tanding...... (or someone else?)  <g>

     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

         What does CICS mean? - Christmas Is Coming Soon...



Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today
Still, call first - even to your wife, I mean. She could have opened a mail
from a stranger :-)
The virus is activated  by opening  the .JPG file, and wouldn't you wonder
if your wife sent you a .JPG file?

So listen everybody: If your wife send you a .JPG file withe the title 'I
love You', please be careful - it could be the virus and sometimes it could
be worse .-)

Regards
Ib

Volker Bandke skrev i meddelelsen

Quote:

>>A new virus called 'I love you' is a mail with an attached .JPG file.

>>DO NOT OPEN, Delete it immediately.

>>Here is a short description of it's nature.

>>When the .JPG file is opened, all pictures on your computer will be
>>replaced.
>>If you have installed MS exchange, Outlook or Outlook Express, it will
send
>>itself to everyone in the address book

>>Normally we are very happy when someone says 'I love You'. In this case:
>>call the sender and say thank you for the mail. From the reaction you get,
>>you can decide whether the mail must be deleted, or not :-)

>>Seriously :::::::>> TAKE CARE.


Love You, I
>would open it, but if the sender was Ib Tanding...... (or someone else?)
<g>

>     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
>                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
>     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
>      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

>         What does CICS mean? - Christmas Is Coming Soon...



Tue, 22 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:

>Still, call first - even to your wife, I mean. She could have opened a mail
>from a stranger :-)
>The virus is activated  by opening  the .JPG file, and wouldn't you wonder
>if your wife sent you a .JPG file?

>So listen everybody: If your wife send you a .JPG file withe the title 'I
>love You', please be careful - it could be the virus and sometimes it could
>be worse .-)

You are probably right, of course - fortunately it was my wife that alerted me of the
virus first (I am "on the road" now and have access to news and internet only in the
evening)

But this virus really shows you how gullible people are....
     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

         The gene pool could use a little chlorine.



Tue, 22 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:
> The virus is activated  by opening  the .JPG file, a

Yep, but only if you have an email client that executes MS-VB without your permission.
=Dwight=
X1=L, X2=L & the domain is phonetic


Tue, 22 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today


Quote:

> But this virus really shows you how gullible people are....

Some government agencies report a 50% infection rate (although,
interestingly, not among the three missing laptops from the State
Department). Which leads to the following observations:

1. What kind of idiot that works for the government could honestly
believe anyone would be sending "I love you" to him or her?
2. Government employees faced with an "I love you" message, have to
figure the message came from an outside source or from inside the
agency. If outside, they violate the rule about using government
equipment for personal purposes; if from inside, they violate several
hundred rules against {*filter*} harassment.  And they opened the messages
anyway.



Tue, 22 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:


> > The virus is activated  by opening  the .JPG file, a
> Yep, but only if you have an email client that executes MS-VB without
> your permission. =Dwight=

This has apparently mutated to include Joke in the subject line.

Follow Dwight's advise and disable VB script in your email reader!

Thanks
Ken Foskey
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~waratah/

PS:  http://www.bonzi.com/bonzibuddy/bonzibuddyfriend.asp



Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today
New strains see on how to combat the problem.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2562627-3,00.html

Thanks
Ken Foskey



Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:



> > > The virus is activated  by opening  the .JPG file, a
> > Yep, but only if you have an email client that executes MS-VB without
> > your permission. =Dwight=

> This has apparently mutated to include Joke in the subject line.

> Follow Dwight's advise and disable VB script in your email reader!

Is this yet another virus which hits MS people only, leaving Netscapers
unaffected?

Bill {*filter*}



Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today
Listen folks. This virus is 2 different damaging steps.

1st step is the worm. it installs itself on your computer, by inserting
MSKERNEL32 and modifies other windows modules. It puts itself to registry,
replace pictures and destroys soundbits. This step will happen if you open
the mail. Remove the automatic 'mark read after ?? seconds'.

2nd step will only happen, if you use MS Mailsystems and have installed it
with low or medium security level. Medium is default, and probably used by
approx. 85% of all users (they never changed the radiobutton). If so it will
take your address book and send itself to everyone there.

First of all - Don't Open the mail. It is not sent from an odd adresss - it
can come from someone close to you.

Go buy the latest update of the virus program, most of the wellknown vendors
have spottet this one, but check before buying.

Remember, that the 1st step will cause damage if you have Win95, Win98 og
WinNT, but do not throw your computer away - it is rather easy to recover,
if you backup all pictures and soundbits now.

Regards
Ib

Quote:



May 2000 00:27:24:

>> > > The virus is activated  by opening  the .JPG file, a
>> > Yep, but only if you have an email client that executes MS-VB without
>> > your permission. =Dwight=

>> This has apparently mutated to include Joke in the subject line.

>> Follow Dwight's advise and disable VB script in your email reader!

>Is this yet another virus which hits MS people only, leaving Netscapers
>unaffected?

>Bill {*filter*}



Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today


Quote:

> Is this yet another virus which hits MS people only, leaving
Netscapers
> unaffected?

Assuming Windows: From what I understand the virus won't propogate
unless you use Outlook for e-mail (which I guess you could do with
Netscape, although probably not), but the virus will, when opened,
hose specific things on your hard disk (like pictures).

Netscapers are probably immune from the propogation issue, but they of
course have other problems because they're not using as many Microsoft
products as the could be using.



Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

enlightened us:

Quote:


>> Is this yet another virus which hits MS people only, leaving
>Netscapers
>> unaffected?

>Assuming Windows: From what I understand the virus won't propogate
>unless you use Outlook for e-mail (which I guess you could do with
>Netscape, although probably not), but the virus will, when opened,
>hose specific things on your hard disk (like pictures).

>Netscapers are probably immune from the propogation issue, but they of
>course have other problems because they're not using as many Microsoft
>products as the could be using.

Regarding your last paragraph, I see that as a benefit rather than a
problem :)

Regards,

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on
the shore like an idiot..

Boycott Mitsubishi Industries

Remove nospam to email me.

 Steve



Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:

>There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on
>the shore like an idiot..

Just for your info, it is called the shore line.

Donald (who spent 20 years on boats reading books).
;<)



Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today
I thought 'shore' was the land adjacent to the water and 'shoreline'
was the edge of the water.

If true, you can't stand on the 'shoreline' (which would be equivalent
to standing on water) unless you're you-know-who.


Quote:

> >There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on
> >the shore like an idiot..

> Just for your info, it is called the shore line.

> Donald (who spent 20 years on boats reading books).
> ;<)



Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ALERT! New virus has been very active today

Quote:

> I thought 'shore' was the land adjacent to the water and 'shoreline'
> was the edge of the water.

> If true, you can't stand on the 'shoreline' (which would be equivalent
> to standing on water) unless you're you-know-who.

With your foot on the line, half of it would be wet, the other half
would be dry.  This works best on lakes, although you can momentarily do
so on a shore with waves.


Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. I am having problems setting the page break through Active X

2. Product Support Services - Moderate Security Alert - Virus Alert: Klez-E

3. New virus alert

4. EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

5. Virus Alert

6. Virus alert

7. Virus alert - I just got 3 mails w/ this, norton caught it

8. OT: VIRUS ALERT!

9. Virus Alert: Unwarrented?

10. Very Funny.vbs Virus Alert

11. FREE Virus Alert Newsletter

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software