Object Oriented COBOL
Author Message
 Object Oriented COBOL

Has anybody heard of this OO-COBOL?  How much is different in this version?  Does it use
polymorphism, inheritance, and/or encapsulation like a true OO language, or is it just
riding the object-oriented bandwagon?  Or, have I just been hearing ugly rumors?

Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object Oriented COBOL

Quote:

>Has anybody heard of this OO-COBOL?  How much is different in this version?  Does it use
>polymorphism, inheritance, and/or encapsulation like a true OO language, or is it just
>riding the object-oriented bandwagon?  Or, have I just been hearing ugly rumors?

I just got the lastest IBM COBOL for MVS & VM guidebooks and there's a
whole three-chapter part on the subject in the programming guide.  The
key appears to be acquiring a knowledge of IBM's "System Object Model
(SOM) services" commands to make it work.

Now if I just get a copy of "OO COBOL for Dummies."

Boyce Williams

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object Oriented COBOL

IBM's VisualAge COBOL includes OO extension based on the ANSI 97 draft
standard.  It has most of the features you would expect in an OO
language including inheritance, polymorphism, and encapsulation.
Encapsulation isn't completely "enforced", it is up to the programmer
you use these devices properly.  Since VA COBOL is SOM enabled, it can
be used with any other SOM enabled languages. This means I can define
class in C++ and override its methods in COBOL.

At present, DSOM is not supported in VA COBOL, so all objects must exi
in the same process.  These objects extensions have been delivered on
several platforms: MVS, OS2, AIX, WINDOWS 95/NT (in beta now).

--
William J. Clerico, Director of COBOL Services

QED, Inc.  172 Madison Ave, Suite 403, NY NY 10016

(212) 481-6868

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object Oriented COBOL

also, micro focus has
Visual Object Cobol (for Win-95)

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object Oriented COBOL

Quote:
> also, micro focus has
> Visual Object Cobol (for Win-95)

http://www.microfocus.com/win95.html

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object Oriented COBOL

Ther's a really good article in InformationWeek, July 15, 1996
illustrating how OO-COBOL can help eliminate the Date-2000 problem.  It
provides code for before and after to clearly state the solution, and
gives a good idea of how it differs from current ANSI COBOL.

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. object-oriented COBOL?

2. Object Oriented COBOL

3. Future of object-oriented COBOL?

4. Any Training on Object Oriented Cobol OS/390?

5. Object Oriented COBOL

6. Object Oriented COBOL, OLE or ActiveX Support

7. Object oriented Cobol

8. Object Oriented COBOL Use: How Widespread?

9. Object-Oriented COBOL

10. Object-Oriented COBOL Developments

11. Objected Oriented COBOL Tutorial Feedback

12. New Web Site For Object Oriented COBOL