IBM Visualage COBOL
Author Message
 IBM Visualage COBOL

Does anyone has experience with VisualAge for COBOL?
I'm experienced with VA Smalltalk and
VA C++ on OS/2 and I would like to try VA for COBOL.

I've got a few questions:

- Does VA COBOL has a 'Visual Tool' to create SQL queries
as in VA Smalltalk (and not like in VA C++)?
- Does VA COBOL has the same 'Visual Builder' interface as
 VA C++ and VA Smalltalk (and not as VA Basic) ?
- Is it possible to directly include EXEC SQL in the user code?
- Are the concepts the same as for the others VA (except VA BASIC)
i.e. building from parts, reusability, visual builders ...

TIA

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM Visualage COBOL

Quote:

>Does anyone has experience with VisualAge for COBOL?
>I'm experienced with VA Smalltalk and
>VA C++ on OS/2 and I would like to try VA for COBOL.

>I've got a few questions:

>- Does VA COBOL has a 'Visual Tool' to create SQL queries
>as in VA Smalltalk (and not like in VA C++)?

VA COBOL has a tool called Data Assistant, which provides a visual interface
for generating SQL queries.  The generated queries show up as standard
EXEC SQL statements in your COBOL program.

Quote:
>- Does VA COBOL has the same 'Visual Builder' interface as
> VA C++ and VA Smalltalk (and not as VA Basic) ?

VA COBOL's currently available visual builder is not the same as the one
available in VA C++ and SmallTalk... we're working on it and will
beta it later this year.

Quote:
>- Is it possible to directly include EXEC SQL in the user code?

Yes indeed.

Quote:
>- Are the concepts the same as for the others VA (except VA BASIC)
>i.e. building from parts, reusability, visual builders ...

VA COBOL and VA C++ already share many common components.  When we
deliver the VA visual builder with COBOL, I think we'll be pretty well
aligned with the other VA products.

                        Barbara Price, IBM COBOL Development

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compiling CICS / DB2 programs on IBM VisualAGE COBOL v2.2

2. IBM VisualAge Cobol in Windows 2000.

3. IBM VisualAge Cobol V2.2 - Utility for ISAM?

4. IBM VisualAge COBOL v 2.0 on NT Questions

5. IBM VisualAge COBOL

6. IBM VisualAge Cobol Users

7. Looking for IBM VisualAge Java/IBM VisualAge Smalltalk teachers

8. IBM VISUALAGE FOR COBOL V3.0.6 10 193

9. IBM announces new release of VisualAge COBOL

10. IBM VisualAge for Cobol V2.2

11. IBM VisualAge for Cobol

12. IBM VisualAge for COBOL Std. V2.0