Job
Author Message
 Job

ATTN : Prospective Employers
        Hello my name is Bruce Smith , I am looking for a Programmer Trainee
position. I was attending Cincinnati State Community College for
Computer Programming , maintaining a 3.5 GPA ,having completed two
Programming Logics Classes(mostly pseudocode and flow-charting)  and
other pre-requisite classes when circumstances beyond my control forced
me to drop out to persue a full time job. I have a strong electronic
troubleshooting background and four years of experience in customer
support environment ,I also found my electronic schematic and blue print
reading and writing ability can also be crossed over to flow charting of
computer programs. My willingness to learn and my drive to be the best
at everything I do would be a great asset to any company. If given the
chance for an interview and programmer aptitude test, I feel confident I
could prove myself to be the perfect candidate for a Trainee position. I
have used Cobol and RPG II in high school but have been away from it for
a few years. Please feel free to contact me by E-Mail if you can help.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Bruce Smith

Sat, 13 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> ATTN : Prospective Employers
> Hello ...I am looking for a Programmer Trainee position...
> [snip, snip]

No adverts in this newsgroup, thank you.

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

852 801 I have posted something he doesn't like so I appologize, but I
thought others might like to read his e-mail to me.

<-Cut Cut->
Please note: "comp.lang.cobol" is for technical discussions about
the computer language COBOL, not for private adverti{*filter*}ts.
Imagine how many students in the world would like to swamp the
newsgroup with their own adverts.

Please don't do it again.  A *brief* apology in the newsgroup would
indicate your remorse and help prevent other gissajob adverts.

Yours
--

Sorry its not BRIEF Richard

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

>> ATTN : Prospective Employers
>> Hello ...I am looking for a Programmer Trainee position...
>> [snip, snip]

>No adverts in this newsgroup, thank you.

And just exactly W*H*O appointed YOU censor for this newsgroup??? If
an eager and enterprising beginner wants to make an honest effort to
find gainful employment, a difficult enough task these days for
ANYONE, who are YOU to throw cold water on his parade??? Don't go back
to those hoary ancient votes taken in 1995 - if you can't afford the
bandwidth to read his post, the title clearly says 'JOB' - you are
free to ignore it.  At least he isn't posting the same three
non-existent $36K COBOL jobs week after week.  If you don't have
something constructive and helpful to say, why not just keep your
negative bits to yourself...

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> >> ATTN : Prospective Employers
> >> Hello ...I am looking for a Programmer Trainee position...
> >> [snip, snip]

> >No adverts in this newsgroup, thank you.

> And just exactly W*H*O appointed YOU censor for this newsgroup??? If
> an eager and enterprising beginner wants to make an honest effort to
> find gainful employment, a difficult enough task these days for
> ANYONE, who are YOU to throw cold water on his parade??? Don't go back
> to those hoary ancient votes taken in 1995 - if you can't afford the
> bandwidth to read his post, the title clearly says 'JOB' - you are
> free to ignore it.  At least he isn't posting the same three
> non-existent $36K COBOL jobs week after week.  If you don't have
> something constructive and helpful to say, why not just keep your
> negative bits to yourself...

And WHO is RICHARD ROSS-LANGLEY anyway. I haven't seen any discussion
from him regarding the issues raised in this newsgroup, so who appointed
him as BIG-BROTHER !!!!!

I didn;t think the JOB request was too far out of line, As you said, I
just ignored it !!!!

MIKE.

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> 852 801 I have posted something he doesn't like so I appologize, but I
> thought others might like to read his e-mail to me.

> <-Cut Cut->
> Please note: "comp.lang.cobol" is for technical discussions about
> the computer language COBOL, not for private adverti{*filter*}ts.
> Imagine how many students in the world would like to swamp the
> newsgroup with their own adverts.

> Please don't do it again.  A *brief* apology in the newsgroup would
> indicate your remorse and help prevent other gissajob adverts.

> Yours
> --

> Sorry its not BRIEF Richard

I hope you consider yourself suitable chastised. Have you put on a
sandwich board saying  "I advertised for a JOB in a newsgroup for
technical discussions" and walked through the centre of town.

How come people with double barrelled surnames always have this superior
attitude !!!!!

--
Mike Rochford
-------------

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

growled:

Quote:

>852 801 I have posted something he doesn't like so I appologize, but I
>thought others might like to read his e-mail to me.

><-Cut Cut->
>Please note: "comp.lang.cobol" is for technical discussions about
>the computer language COBOL, not for private adverti{*filter*}ts.
>Imagine how many students in the world would like to swamp the
>newsgroup with their own adverts.

>Please don't do it again.  A *brief* apology in the newsgroup would
>indicate your remorse and help prevent other gissajob adverts.

>Yours
>--

I don't see him flaming the pimps who post job offered ads here.
Ignore him.

--
Paul Oldham, Milton, Cambridge, UK
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> I don't see him flaming the pimps who post job offered ads here.

Just as well, because it doesn't appear that the jobs are real, anyway.

---
Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
- --
"...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of
individuals...I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty,
subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating
in their purpose."
        - Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning "Red Planet"

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

>> I don't see him flaming the pimps who post job offered ads here.
> Just as well, because it doesn't appear that the jobs are real, anyway.

You also don't see so many job ads recently.  You do see more COBOL.
Some people around the world pay by the second for a connection so
that each off-topic article downloaded costs them real money.

There are 25,000+ newsgroups, each with its own topic, and many of
those concern jobs.  This is the only newsgroup for COBOL.  The
big 7 hierarchies (like "comp") have a Charter for each newsgroup,
approved after a democratic voting procedure, showing what is 'on
topic' for that newsgroup.  And if you want to change the Charter
there is a democratic procedure for doing that too.

Most Internet users have heard about Netiquette, some haven't.  I
see nothing wrong in drawing someone's attention to it politely.
You are entitled to disagree - after all, this is the Internet!

Now, back to COBOL...
--

Mine of Information Ltd, PO BOX 1000, St Albans AL3 5NY, GB
* Independent Computer Consultancy    Established in 1977 *

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

>852 801 I have posted something he doesn't like so I appologize, but I
>thought others might like to read his e-mail to me.
><-Cut Cut->
>Please note: "comp.lang.cobol" is for technical discussions about
>the computer language COBOL, not for private adverti{*filter*}ts.
>Imagine how many students in the world would like to swamp the
>newsgroup with their own adverts.
>Please don't do it again.  A *brief* apology in the newsgroup would
>indicate your remorse and help prevent other gissajob adverts.
>Yours
>--

Bruce,

In any large gathering of people there are always at least one dry humourless
stick-in-the-mud boring person. Mr. Ross-Langley is our stick-in-the-mud. He
fails to realize that if we stuck to purely technical discussions, without the
side-issue postings to relieve the sometimes boring technical discussions,
readership of this group would drop off severely .... and some of those people
who might (or already have) leave are often those who can offer a fresh
perspective on the occasional technical topic that they decide to partake in.
We'd be left with the same old group of people hashing and re-hashing the same
old topics over and over again, ad nauseum.

Bruce, as far as *I* am concerned, you are welcome here at any time to discuss
ANYTHING even remotely connected with COBOL.

Peter

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> > >No adverts in this newsgroup, thank you.

> > And just exactly W*H*O appointed YOU censor for this newsgroup??? If
> > an eager and enterprising beginner wants to make an honest effort to
> > find gainful employment, a difficult enough task these days for
> > ANYONE, who are YOU to throw cold water on his parade??? Don't go back
> > to those hoary ancient votes taken in 1995 - if you can't afford the
> > bandwidth to read his post, the title clearly says 'JOB' - you are
> > free to ignore it.  At least he isn't posting the same three
> > non-existent $36K COBOL jobs week after week.  If you don't have
> > something constructive and helpful to say, why not just keep your
> > negative bits to yourself...

> And WHO is RICHARD ROSS-LANGLEY anyway. I haven't seen any discussion
> from him regarding the issues raised in this newsgroup, so who appointed
> him as BIG-BROTHER !!!!!

> I didn;t think the JOB request was too far out of line, As you said, I
> just ignored it !!!!

> MIKE.

Actually over the last two years I've noticed many posts by Mr. Langley
in this newsgroup, he does make a significant contribution especially
relating to pc cobol variants, although I do agree that the job post
above was not out of line...this newsgroup is all about (in my mind
anyway, not necessarily the charter) helping programmers become better
programmers by increasing their exposure and understanding of the
language and related issues. I'm all for helping someone new get started
in the business. Good luck!

Steve

url    : http://www.epix.net/~prgsdw

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> And WHO is RICHARD ROSS-LANGLEY anyway. I haven't seen any discussion
> from him regarding the issues raised in this newsgroup, so who appointed
> him as BIG-BROTHER !!!!!

> I didn;t think the JOB request was too far out of line, As you said, I
> just ignored it !!!!

> MIKE.

Although ol' Ross sometimes contributes,  it seems he spends more time
replying to job-related postings.  Most people just ignore him.

Doug

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

>852 801 I have posted something he doesn't like so I appologize, but I
>thought others might like to read his e-mail to me.

><-Cut Cut->
>Please note: "comp.lang.cobol" is for technical discussions about
>the computer language COBOL, not for private adverti{*filter*}ts.
>Imagine how many students in the world would like to swamp the
>newsgroup with their own adverts.

>Please don't do it again.  A *brief* apology in the newsgroup would
>indicate your remorse and help prevent other gissajob adverts.

Sure has a hell of a nerve doesn't he?  Like he's paying for the group
out of his own pocket maybe?

I have no problem with your post and good luck.  I would have skipped
it (a concept some seem unable to master), but thought it might be
that telecommuting billet we're all looking for!

Best,
--
Paul Knudsen

Here's the solution to SPAM:  Don't read it!

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

>Most Internet users have heard about Netiquette, some haven't.  I
>see nothing wrong in drawing someone's attention to it politely.
>You are entitled to disagree - after all, this is the Internet!
>Now, back to COBOL...

So that we can stay on topic.  COBOL.

But I feel that some one asking to be considered for employment as a
COBOL programer is on topic.  I see no breach of
Metiquette.  As apprantely does most of the rest of us.

As to COBOL...   Perhaps we should enquire why asking if anyone knows
of a job programing in Cobol is off topic?  that is at the off chance
doing so is not in itself off topic?
.
Can we chill it ....

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Job

Quote:

> >> I don't see him flaming the pimps who post job offered ads here.
> > Just as well, because it doesn't appear that the jobs are real, anyway.

> You also don't see so many job ads recently.  You do see more COBOL.
> Some people around the world pay by the second for a connection so
> that each off-topic article downloaded costs them real money.

> There are 25,000+ newsgroups, each with its own topic, and many of
> those concern jobs.  This is the only newsgroup for COBOL.  The
> big 7 hierarchies (like "comp") have a Charter for each newsgroup,
> approved after a democratic voting procedure, showing what is 'on
> topic' for that newsgroup.  And if you want to change the Charter
> there is a democratic procedure for doing that too.

> Most Internet users have heard about Netiquette, some haven't.  I
> see nothing wrong in drawing someone's attention to it politely.
> You are entitled to disagree - after all, this is the Internet!

> Now, back to COBOL...
> --

> Mine of Information Ltd, PO BOX 1000, St Albans AL3 5NY, GB
> * Independent Computer Consultancy    Established in 1977 *

I've been following this thread and I thought I'd throw my two cents in
because I'm one of those folks who have posted job related messages (and
I still have a few openings).

Most Newsgroups have owners, and I usually get their permission to post
job ads.  In the case of comp.lang.cobol, they said no.  In the case of
comp.software.year-2000 they said yes.  It obviously varies from group
to group, and I usually laugh when I get email from others telling me I
shouldn't be posting, after I've already gotten permission from the
list's owner.  Some folks obviously feel a personal need to take on the
protection of the world, or in this case, the newsgroup.

...Ron

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 30 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS

2. JOB ADA JOB ADA JOB ADA JOB ADA

3. "VisualAge-Immediate Contract-Mutiple-MD-VA",md.jobs,va.jobs,dc.jobs

4. PL1 JOBS PL/I Jobs PL/1 JOBS

5. PL/I Jobs PL/1 Jobs PL1 Jobs

6. Jobs Jobs Jobs (in Australia)

7. Not a *Jobs* *Jobs* *Jobs* spam

8. MAINFRAME PROGRAMMING JOBS JOBS JOBS !!!

9. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, Work, Work, Work

10. jobs,jobs, jobs for smalltalkers

11. A NEW SMALTALK JOBS listing with an IMMEDIATE JOB OPPORTUNITY

12. NEW SMALTALK JOBS listing with an IMMEDIATE JOB OPPORTUNITY